darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 202
  • Posts: 4074
April 19th, 2018 at 3:11:59 AM permalink
Quote: ZenKinG

Atlantic City is such a disappointment. They're the only town with a cluster of casinos that is ALSO a beach town. Atlantic City could be bigger than Vegas if they so desired, but too bad theyre all idiots running the show from every single governor that governed for the past few decades to every single executive running these billion dollar corporations.

Such a shame what AC has turned into and they have no one to blame but themselves. Blaming it on 'more casino competition' and 'proximity' is nothing but an excuse.



Theyre not the only beachtown casino destination

At least Biloxi/Gulfport in Mississippi is one other
GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 8201
April 19th, 2018 at 3:42:25 AM permalink
Quote: ZenKinG

Atlantic City is such a disappointment. They're the only town with a cluster of casinos that is ALSO a beach town. Atlantic City could be bigger than Vegas if they so desired, but too bad theyre all idiots running the show from every single governor that governed for the past few decades to every single executive running these billion dollar corporations.

Such a shame what AC has turned into and they have no one to blame but themselves. Blaming it on 'more casino competition' and 'proximity' is nothing but an excuse.



lol I was definitely expecting you to end this with if you were running it they would make tons of money. kudos for not adding that into your post (even though I know you wanted to), however this is one time that I think you would have been right. The people running AC are terrible. It takes real talent to have Casinos and a beach and F$%& it up. I go to AC twice a year but for the beach only. Some small gaming at night when the kids are in bed but not much other than that. I will stop going as soon as they stop giving me free rooms in the summer.

I have been saying for years that they need something else there to draw people. I am curious if the entertainment that HR will add will be enough to accomplish that. AC needed to have nightly entertainment for years. Currently all they really have is weekend performers which is kinda what HR is doing so I am not confident that it is going to make a big deal.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT WHO YOU THINK I AM.
mainframe
mainframe
Joined: Feb 19, 2015
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 18
May 29th, 2018 at 8:52:28 AM permalink
Everyone laments the decline and fall of Atlantic City as a Casino entertainment destination. Or similarly, they lament that AC never reached its potential as a massive entertainment destination. Even though I was alive and kid in the 80s, I never had the pleasure of visiting AC during its "heydey" as a gambling/resort destination. I only started to visit A/C from 2012 forward. The first time I visited, no casinos but Sands had closed/folded (The Atlantic Club (formerly Hilton) was on its last gasp/dying breath. I then watched year-by-year as various properties fold/go under. There is a certain amount of legitimacy to the claim "local competition" from various Eastern PA casinos, a racino in queens, and tribal casinos in CT.
I think that A/C has never *diversified* enough as an entertainment destination (barring the "old A/C" of the 1880s-1950s).
Its basically a slum town with clusters of investment only in the waterfront and marina districts. The contrast between the wealthy casino blocks, shopping outlets, and the rest of the city is very stark/noticeable. I don't believe Las Vegas has that extreme level of property value drop off. There are no slums next to the strip or downtown, are there?
A/C needs gentrification in its residential areas. Investment should be made to make it a more attractive place to own a vacation home, akin to Long Beach Island. Other things they can do is open more amusements (something like the cyclone in Coney island), maybe some antique shops, toys shops, comic book stores for the boardwalk, etc.
Hard Rock has already aggressively booked lots of entertainment for summer 2018, including some mid-week acts. We will see how that goes.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 12574
May 29th, 2018 at 12:45:21 PM permalink
Quote: mainframe

Everyone laments the decline and fall of Atlantic City as a Casino entertainment destination. Or similarly, they lament that AC never reached its potential as a massive entertainment destination. Even though I was alive and kid in the 80s, I never had the pleasure of visiting AC during its "heydey" as a gambling/resort destination. I only started to visit A/C from 2012 forward. The first time I visited, no casinos but Sands had closed/folded (The Atlantic Club (formerly Hilton) was on its last gasp/dying breath. I then watched year-by-year as various properties fold/go under. There is a certain amount of legitimacy to the claim "local competition" from various Eastern PA casinos, a racino in queens, and tribal casinos in CT.
I think that A/C has never *diversified* enough as an entertainment destination (barring the "old A/C" of the 1880s-1950s).
Its basically a slum town with clusters of investment only in the waterfront and marina districts. The contrast between the wealthy casino blocks, shopping outlets, and the rest of the city is very stark/noticeable. I don't believe Las Vegas has that extreme level of property value drop off. There are no slums next to the strip or downtown, are there?
A/C needs gentrification in its residential areas. Investment should be made to make it a more attractive place to own a vacation home, akin to Long Beach Island. Other things they can do is open more amusements (something like the cyclone in Coney island), maybe some antique shops, toys shops, comic book stores for the boardwalk, etc.
Hard Rock has already aggressively booked lots of entertainment for summer 2018, including some mid-week acts. We will see how that goes.



There are very uncomfortable areas directly adjacent to North Strip. Downtown was downright scary less than a block from Fremont Street for decades, but there has been urban gentrification, led by Zappos, in the last few years, and the closure of the Western.

North LV has some no-go zones very close to a couple of casinos, and Boulder Highway is proceed with caution.

Personal viewpoint from a woman traveling alone. YMMV.

Started playing AC for about a decade, beginning in about 1998. Really enjoyed Showboat, AC Hilton, Harrahs. Was very cautious about side streets or walking alone between casinos. Rode the jitney many times between Marina and Boardwalk, and was very comfortable with it, but kept away from streets behind Boardwalk properties in particular.

Last visit was, I think 2008, so I guess I'm very out of date. I still get invites to junket flights to AC, I just never seem to get there.

Very comfortable all areas of Biloxi .Gulfport not so much, but just one casino there, so not missing much. Still take normal precautions re:parking garages.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
mainframe
mainframe
Joined: Feb 19, 2015
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 18
May 29th, 2018 at 1:27:19 PM permalink
If I didn't live driving distance from Atlantic City (say I moved to a different area of the country), I would have zero incentive to ever fly into A/C for my gambling. The US gambling market is vastly different today than the situation in 1985 where you basically had two legal gambling venues- Nevada and Atlantic City in NJ. If I lived in another region, I would simply frequent whatever regional casinos were reasonable driving distance. My only out-of-town gambling destination would be Las Vegas for the sheer spectacle and variety of entertainment options. A/C was better poised to become rival Las Vegas before casino gambling became a commodity available almost everywhere. Now, no degree of "turning things around" through smarter marketing, management, and investment will ever make A/C anything better than a "regional gambling hub". Best case scenario, A/C diversifies its entertainment offerings, improves its overall property value (city-wide), and becomes a more attractive resort beach vacation destination that draws a gambling crowd from the immediate region. I don't see people who live more than 4-5 hours drive from having any incentive to choose A/C.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 135
  • Posts: 6530
May 29th, 2018 at 1:34:08 PM permalink
Quote: mainframe

Everyone laments the decline and fall of Atlantic City as a Casino entertainment destination. Or similarly, they lament that AC never reached its potential as a massive entertainment destination. Even though I was alive and kid in the 80s, I never had the pleasure of visiting AC during its "heydey" as a gambling/resort destination. I only started to visit A/C from 2012 forward. The first time I visited, no casinos but Sands had closed/folded (The Atlantic Club (formerly Hilton) was on its last gasp/dying breath. I then watched year-by-year as various properties fold/go under. There is a certain amount of legitimacy to the claim "local competition" from various Eastern PA casinos, a racino in queens, and tribal casinos in CT.
I think that A/C has never *diversified* enough as an entertainment destination (barring the "old A/C" of the 1880s-1950s).
Its basically a slum town with clusters of investment only in the waterfront and marina districts. The contrast between the wealthy casino blocks, shopping outlets, and the rest of the city is very stark/noticeable. I don't believe Las Vegas has that extreme level of property value drop off. There are no slums next to the strip or downtown, are there?
A/C needs gentrification in its residential areas. Investment should be made to make it a more attractive place to own a vacation home, akin to Long Beach Island. Other things they can do is open more amusements (something like the cyclone in Coney island), maybe some antique shops, toys shops, comic book stores for the boardwalk, etc.
Hard Rock has already aggressively booked lots of entertainment for summer 2018, including some mid-week acts. We will see how that goes.



I looked into opening a comic shop in AC around 2000. . The rents on the Boardwalk are insane. The only way to succeed is to have a large family that keeps the p[lace open 16-18 hours a day from May to September and pray it doesn't rain too often. Off the boardwalk, you have the Outlets, again way too expensive. I did find a little shop on Artic that I liked but the landlord thought he had gold and priced himself out.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
klimate10
klimate10
Joined: Feb 6, 2012
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 396
May 29th, 2018 at 1:51:41 PM permalink
I went to grad school in NJ, and we would make regular trips to AC.

The gambling was more expensive than LV and the rules worse.

Also, back when LV had free parking as the norm, AC charged for parking. To get into AC, you had to take a toll road to get there. They nickel and dimed you to on the way to lose money.

The beach was ugly, and the city did nothing to clean it up.

Vegas is now becoming much like the AC that I knew, with paid parking and fees here and fees there, and all the nickel and dime charges. Heck, even a LV buffet is no better than a Golden Coral buffet, and twice as expensive.
BedWetterBetter
BedWetterBetter
Joined: Oct 20, 2012
  • Threads: 25
  • Posts: 398
May 31st, 2018 at 3:58:19 PM permalink
Quote: klimate10

AC charged for parking. To get into AC, you had to take a toll road to get there. They nickel and dimed you to on the way to lose money.



You could skip the AC expressway toll by taking exit 40 on the Parkway, however it was only 50 cents each way, now it's 75 cents.

Not much else has changed in that regard, in facts the costs have risen. Tolls are $1.50 3-4 times ONE way on the parkway, gas is near $3 per gallon and rising, and parking is up to $20 on weekends at CET properties. Only higher tier levels will earn you free parking and places like Borgata actually ask for ID to get the free parking after you show them the Black Club card.(no pun intended)

My way around these costs were to take a local bus service for $28 round trip and you would skip most of the tolls, gas, mileage on your car and parking fees. But now bus service is scarce and limited to weekends in most north jersey areas and the ticket prices are up to $40-50 round trip in my area.

  • Jump to: