Poll

5 votes (15.15%)
2 votes (6.06%)
18 votes (54.54%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (3.03%)
4 votes (12.12%)
6 votes (18.18%)
No votes (0%)
2 votes (6.06%)
1 vote (3.03%)

33 members have voted

gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
  • Threads: 25
  • Posts: 894
July 10th, 2017 at 10:56:04 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Quote: RS

I was going to say the same thing, the part about Wizard admitting it was no better than a $1k bottle.

As far as whether a $1k bottle and a $40 bottle have (significant) differences, I don't really know. My guess is, all things being equal, you can probably tell the difference, if you're a wine person. But if you're not a wine person, you probably can't tell the difference. I'm not a wine person, so IDGAF.


It'd be like a non-smoker having a nasty disgusting menthol cigarette and also trying a deliciously exquisite Kamel Red. A noob isn't going to be able to tell the difference. But a true smoker will notice the menthol is nasty and how delightful Kamel Reds are.




For the record, I haven't smoked a cigarette in 2-3 years.....last time I smoked a Kamel Red was at least 5 years ago, perhaps even 7 years ago. But every now and then, I still get a craving for them. They're that good. (But if I had one now, I probably wouldn't like it anymore.)

I have no doubt people can tell their favorite wine apart from crappy brands. At the time, my entire point was, "No, I don't want to share a $300(or whatever) bottle of wine, I don't like wine, IT ALL TASTES BITTER TO ME"

That's what sparked the ourtage from our "sophisticated" wine drinkers.

I didn't think Mike and our another friend could tell if it is an expensive or moderately priced bottle if given a blind taste test. For example, 3 random glasses of an $80 bottle of wine VS 1 random glass of a $500 bottle of wine(let's not get into what's considered expensive or moderately priced).

I compare wine tasting experts with betting system players and DI's.

There is a good documentary called Sour Grapes on Netflix.


I think part of it is due to diminishing returns on the price of a bottle of wine. A $20 bottle may very well taste 2x better than a $10 bottle, but I doubt many $500 bottles taste 5x better than a $100 bottle.

The markup on bottles at restaurants are also absurd. Wiz's $1k bottle may very well have been purchased for $100 or less.

2 more good wine docs are Somm and Somm: Into the Bottle which get pretty deep into professional wine tasting. I think a huge part of what actually makes those people experts is knowing all the nuances of different grape varieties and vintages, and being able to pair those with a customer's meal or personal preferences.
monet0412
monet0412
Joined: Feb 18, 2016
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 497
July 10th, 2017 at 10:58:24 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I smirked when I saw this. Clearly the Wizard I think got bilked on paying a tip on a bottle of wine that he didn't want.

Tips of course are optional. The casino, by the way, does tip you, if you have a players card. At a table game, tipping is truly optional and I really think that in the end, some people make up for others, and it is a personal decision.



I think your missing my point though. It really has nothing to do with tipping or not tipping. ZK's rationale or ideology on tipping is just the tip of the ice berg. If you start down this selfish type of behavior it doesn't take long for it to snowball into all aspects of every day living and decisions. I wasn't actually saying he is right or wrong. That is up for him to decide. I have read a little on the subject. Some guy had this radical idea a couple thousand years ago suggesting that it is better to give compared to receiving. Something about loving your enemies because if you only love your friends and do good to those that do good to you your not going to inherit something that he said was incomprehensible. Some crazy notion that if you own the whole world but die and lose your own soul what good was that 75 odd years of life worth? You and ZK can do and think whatever you guys like but in my experience I've found that you pay heavy penalties in life for short term rewards like worrying about tipping or deciding that you'll never tip again. That type of behavior will change you very fast. It seems that it's better to play for the long run.
777
777
Joined: Oct 7, 2015
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 573
July 10th, 2017 at 11:02:14 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Huh?? This seems contradictory. Let's just keep it optional and let everybody do whatever they want.



Apparently I edited my post to "Tipping should NOT even be optional and must be abolished entirely" after you had response to my reply.

If tipping is a mean to compensate employees' labors, then it must be MANDATORY. Because I don't want it to be mandatory, I prefer a total elimination of our current tipping system and replace it with a system where "tip" is included in the cost of services and goods.
boymimbo
boymimbo
Joined: Nov 12, 2009
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 4988
July 10th, 2017 at 11:24:55 AM permalink
Quote: 777

No, the casino does NOT tip the players. How can it be tip when the casinos take ton of moneys from each player and gave back a few pennies or dollars.

I'm a strong believer in living wage, and at the same time I also strongly believe that the employer is responsible for taking care of its workers, and it should not be the patrons responsibility to take care of the employees. Furthermore, matters about workers compensations must be between the employers and employees.

The way I see our current tipping system is that businesses are taking advantage their employers and customers by passing the responsibilities taking care of their employees to their customers. This kind of exploitation must stop and Im in favor of abolishing out tipping system.

Tipping should NOT even be optional and must be abolished entirely. I prefer paying extra in lieu of tipping, and I believe it is a much fairer way to compensate the workers for their labors. And if the casinos find it necessary to charge for parking, increase resort fee, take away free drink, reduce 6:5 BJ to 1:1 BJ and PASS THESE ADDITIONAL revenues onto their pay roll accounts, then Im all for it.

Tipping is not expected or much less popular in all other countries, but why it an expectation here? Let's eliminate the employers exploitation of labors, and abolish our tipping system.



Well the casino theoretically only takes .5% from each blackjack hand you play and your player's card is worth about 2 - 20/30% of your theo depending on where you play so there's your "tip". You get that "tip" whether you win or lose.

I disagree wholeheartedly with the idea of not tipping in an industry where good individual customer service should be rewarded. That said, I DO favor getting rid of tipping for restaurants or reduce the tip percentage to between 0 and 5% of the bill and pay them a living wage.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 50
  • Posts: 1870
Thanks for this post from:
monet0412
July 10th, 2017 at 11:47:10 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

The above and the other thread reminded me of when I worked in Hollywood Park and constantly encountered something I called "Ghetto Logic."

It seems to work out well for people. Not only do people who think like this wind up living tremendously full and happy lives, they are an absolute joy to be around.




Not sure if you were there yet or not, but I got quite a bit of grief for voicing a similar comment on Friday Night. People who don't tip or who disparage servers as somehow below them are not people I choose to hang around with. Inevitably, they prove to be more trouble than they are worth.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
777
777
Joined: Oct 7, 2015
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 573
July 10th, 2017 at 12:47:34 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Well the casino theoretically only takes .5% from each blackjack hand you play and your player's card is worth about 2 - 20/30% of your theo depending on where you play so there's your "tip". You get that "tip" whether you win or lose.

I disagree wholeheartedly with the idea of not tipping in an industry where good individual customer service should be rewarded. That said, I DO favor getting rid of tipping for restaurants or reduce the tip percentage to between 0 and 5% of the bill and pay them a living wage.



I don't understand why should there be distinction among industries? Super market cashier, auto mechanics, plumbers, department store clerk, bellboy, bus-boy, casino dealer, meat butcher ... and they all deserve a living wage. One can argue that tipping can have direct impact on pay-for-performance, but then again it is the responsibility of the employer to discipline, reward, evaluate, and compensate their employees.

Since you mention restaurant, is it common for waitress to share tip with bus-boy?
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 50
  • Posts: 1870
July 10th, 2017 at 2:49:48 PM permalink
Quote: 777

I don't understand why should there be distinction among industries? Super market cashier, auto mechanics, plumbers, department store clerk, bellboy, bus-boy, casino dealer, meat butcher ... and they all deserve a living wage. One can argue that tipping can have direct impact on pay-for-performance, but then again it is the responsibility of the employer to discipline, reward, evaluate, and compensate their employees.

Since you mention restaurant, is it common for waitress to share tip with bus-boy?



Many waitresses tip out bus boys, servers and bartenders.. In my businesses, bartenders split their tips with other bartenders and tipped out barbacks. Servers tipped out the service bartender and bus boys. On slow nights, bus boys would bareback so get tipped two ways.
I recently moved, but until then , I had the same family servicing my cars for almost forty years. I tipped them every time I used them.
Not much, but enough to buy the whole crew coffee and donuts. Generally, I tip plumbers and any other service people.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
777
777
Joined: Oct 7, 2015
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 573
July 10th, 2017 at 3:25:24 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Many waitresses tip out bus boys, servers and bartenders.. In my businesses, bartenders split their tips with other bartenders and tipped out barbacks. Servers tipped out the service bartender and bus boys. On slow nights, bus boys would bareback so get tipped two ways.
I recently moved, but until then , I had the same family servicing my cars for almost forty years. I tipped them every time I used them.
Not much, but enough to buy the whole crew coffee and donuts. Generally, I tip plumbers and any other service people.



It is good that you tip. But your action would create unintended consequence, and that is it gives the employers the excuse to underpay or unfairly under compensate their workers.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
  • Threads: 38
  • Posts: 1379
July 10th, 2017 at 3:44:45 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Many waitresses tip out bus boys, servers and bartenders.. In my businesses, bartenders split their tips with other bartenders and tipped out barbacks. Servers tipped out the service bartender and bus boys. On slow nights, bus boys would bareback so get tipped two ways.
I recently moved, but until then , I had the same family servicing my cars for almost forty years. I tipped them every time I used them.
Not much, but enough to buy the whole crew coffee and donuts. Generally, I tip plumbers and any other service people.


You tip plumbers?Wow the cheapest plumbers I know get $75 per hour,now if you have a friend of a friend giving u a deal ,i agree with tipping but not otherwise.
Where does it end ,do you tip the police for coming to investigate a break in,or tip the ambulance squad,or fire department for coming to your house.Or how about your children's teachers,or coaches?Also you coul tip the funeral parlor in advance for your service. Jk
What we've got here is failure to communicate
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 50
  • Posts: 1870
July 10th, 2017 at 3:53:48 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

You tip plumbers?Wow the cheapest plumbers I know get $75 per hour,now if you have a friend of a friend giving u a deal ,i agree with tipping but not otherwise.
Where does it end ,do you tip the police for coming to investigate a break in,or tip the ambulance squad,or fire department for coming to your house.Or how about your children's teachers,or coaches?Also you coul tip the funeral parlor in advance for your service. Jk




I believe you mean the cheapest plumbing company you know gets $75. Not the guy actually doing the job.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way

  • Jump to: