Poll

5 votes (15.15%)
2 votes (6.06%)
18 votes (54.54%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (3.03%)
4 votes (12.12%)
6 votes (18.18%)
No votes (0%)
2 votes (6.06%)
1 vote (3.03%)

33 members have voted

100xOdds
100xOdds
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
  • Threads: 413
  • Posts: 2122
June 17th, 2017 at 6:19:30 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

If I invited someone to a buffet and the person attempted to leave a dollar per person tip, it would be the last time they joined me.

what if he meant $2 per person and not $2 total?
still the last time?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 58
  • Posts: 2166
Thanks for this post from:
RisingDough
June 17th, 2017 at 6:19:33 AM permalink
I sit down at a VP machine at a bar. Order a shot of moonshine and an imported beer. Twenty minutes later have a second beer.
Half hour later have a third beer. I tip a dollar per drink. Did I waste $4 or did I save $16?
When free valet is available, it's my decision to spend $3 for the convenience of not spending time looking for a spot in the garage, the increased chance of getting mugged and not having to remember where I parked.
Yes, tipping is -even, but so is renting an apartment when I have a perfectly good car to sleep in.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
100xOdds
100xOdds
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
  • Threads: 413
  • Posts: 2122
June 17th, 2017 at 6:22:36 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

IWhen free valet is available, it's my decision to spend $3 for the convenience of not spending time looking for a spot in the garage, the increased chance of getting mugged and not having to remember where I parked.


$3?!?!
I usually just tip $1 but im in md
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
monet0412
monet0412
Joined: Feb 18, 2016
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 519
June 17th, 2017 at 6:23:57 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

I have to. They went to jail and the place closed!



I have no doubt that if you eat out you have eaten or drank something that someone has tainted. Not to mention some of the food I've seen on the floor to plate or served past expiration... or the numerous health code violations. I'm guessing your comment was some sort of a needle which is fine.
Last edited by: monet0412 on Jun 17, 2017
monet0412
monet0412
Joined: Feb 18, 2016
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 519
June 17th, 2017 at 6:33:28 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I sit down at a VP machine at a bar. Order a shot of moonshine and an imported beer. Twenty minutes later have a second beer.
Half hour later have a third beer. I tip a dollar per drink. Did I waste $4 or did I save $16?
When free valet is available, it's my decision to spend $3 for the convenience of not spending time looking for a spot in the garage, the increased chance of getting mugged and not having to remember where I parked.
Yes, tipping is -even, but so is renting an apartment when I have a perfectly good car to sleep in.



Depends... valet is pretty hard on cars so it might cost you more down the road. The difference with the bar scenario is if you pay 16 dollars it goes to the company. The 4 dollars goes to your fellow man working in the trenches and if you tip better and get to know these bartenders in certain places it can get you free food or higher quality drinks. Making a new friend could be an AP play down the road. I like the idea of sleeping in the car. I've always said if you have a car and gym membership you don't need a residence but age beat me down and I'm too soft now. I don't think I could make it sleeping in my car ever again... if things get too bad it seems it's either gonna be a 45 to the temple or jumping off that new bridge for me lol. Hard truths to face but I don't like the other options like wasting away on dialysis or something similar.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 58
  • Posts: 2166
June 17th, 2017 at 6:39:55 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

what if he meant $2 per person and not $2 total?
still the last time?



Less than a $5 tip and the person better have a magnetic personality .
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
GWAE
GWAE 
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 6195
June 17th, 2017 at 7:43:24 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Less than a $5 tip and the person better have a magnetic personality .



Ok we all knew the thread wold take this turn, tippin g b threads always do.

$5 a table is what I do for all buffets. I don't care if it is the 4 of us or just myself.

People say, but they clear your plates and bring you drinks. Why should they be entitled to a 20% top on a $60 buffet when that's all they did. Does the waitress at bachaniel do any more work than the one at southpoint?

What about the Mirage buffet, you have to get your own drinks there? Does the waitress deserve any tip? They are basically just a busboy there.
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
Joined: May 19, 2016
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 384
June 17th, 2017 at 8:52:17 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Quote: RS

...Therefore, the tip should only be $2.



Finally, someone got the correct answer!



I dunno how they tip up North, out West, or in big cities. But, on quite a number of occasions I have asked buffet servers questions about the number of tables in their "section" and the average frequency & amount of tips they receive. Here's what I found:

Buffet servers usually cover between 11 and 13 tables. Unless the buffet is especially busy, about half of their tables have guests at any one time, and diners usually stay for about 30 minutes. About two-thirds of diners tip, and the most frequent tip is $1.00 per adult diner.

So, at (roughly) 8 of 12 tables tipping x 2 diners/table/hour x $1 average tip/diner, the average hourly take is about $16 (plus whatever the hourly pittance the buffet pays it's servers). Maybe not great, but OK by Biloxi standards.

While I usually tip $1 or $2 when I dine at buffets, I tip more when I stop my server to discuss "stuff" mentioned in this post. Because I keep them from other duties for a couple of minutes, I tip a bit more after these conversations. One time, after eating a lunch buffet and having said discussion with my server, I was at a table game. A couple was sitting next to me, and the gal said to her guy, "This is the man I was telling you about," clearly indicating me. When I looked at her, she reminded me she had been my lunch buffet server. Apparently, my interest in her job and/or my tip -- while not extravagant -- had apparently made a sufficient impression that she mentioned it to her partner when her shift finished.

Lucky
(Usually seated in the "trouble-maker' section of the buffet, don'cher know?)
TigerWu
TigerWu
Joined: May 23, 2016
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 576
June 17th, 2017 at 9:04:55 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

What? Now Bobs free meal costs $20 amd Jim probably gets a freebie



How do you figure?

Bob has a $50 comp.

He gets $30 worth of food for himself. He has $20 left on the comp, so he lets Jim have it.

Jim gets a $40 steak. $20 of that is covered by the comp, so Jim pays $20 cash for the remainder.

Bob has paid $0 for his $30 meal, and Jim has paid $20 for his $40 meal.
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 5335
June 17th, 2017 at 9:20:27 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

How do you figure?

Bob has a $50 comp.

He gets $30 worth of food for himself. He has $20 left on the comp, so he lets Jim have it.

Jim gets a $40 steak. $20 of that is covered by the comp, so Jim pays $20 cash for the remainder.

Bob has paid $0 for his $30 meal, and Jim has paid $20 for his $40 meal.


But it's Bob's comp.
"should of played 'Go Fish' today ya peasant" -typoontrav

  • Jump to: