Thread Rating:

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
November 21st, 2023 at 11:43:37 PM permalink
Irony. Harping on grammar when everyone understands it means I’m being an asshole so I’ll admit that. It’s ritual though, not sure I’ve seen that misspell before although it makes sense.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
November 22nd, 2023 at 1:20:19 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: DogHand

That's a good idea for a single slice, but I actually toast two slices at once for my grilled cheese sandwiches, so with your method I would need a 4-slice toaster... Hmm... That might work.

Dog Hand
link to original post

I can't imagine a life without toast, it would be a pitiful existence. The original toaster was you stick the bread on a wooden skewer and hold it over the fire until you get it toasted on both sides. I prefer the modern method. I have a toaster oven and they always show on the box people making toast in it. Does that ever actually happen? I use my toaster oven for making things that would bake in a regular oven. Never toast.
link to original post

Yes.
The specific advantages of a toaster oven vs slot toaster include...
Increased distance from heat source to bread (more even toasting, slower, but less efficient)
Can handle large breads (like a slice of boule or a split baguette)
Can handle small breads (a slice of baguette usually gets lost in a slot, requiring tongs and dexterity to extract)
Can handle breads too thick for a slot toaster
Constrained by rack area and your tesselation skill, not a product of slot count and slot dimension

... and Axel, I don't care who you are, toasting some good bread and smearing butter on it is tasty. Scientists will probably "discover" that eating buttered toast activates neural pleasure centers, similar to chocolate or narcotics.
May the cards fall in your favor.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
November 22nd, 2023 at 4:15:19 AM permalink

Quote: DogHand

That's a good idea for a single slice, but I actually toast two slices at once for my grilled cheese sandwiches, so with your method I would need a 4-slice toaster... Hmm... That might work.

Dog Hand
link to original post

I can't imagine a life without toast, it would be a pitiful existence. The original toaster was you stick the bread on a wooden skewer and hold it over the fire until you get it toasted on both sides. I prefer the modern method. I have a toaster oven and they always show on the box people making toast in it. Does that ever actually happen? I use my toaster oven for making things that would bake in a regular oven. Never toast.
link to original post

There was a near spoof in the 80s on an HBO show called "Not Necessarily the News" about frozen toast. Instead of the messy toaster you bought frozen toast in a bag and boiled it for 15 minutes to reheat. Even had three levels of doneness. This is back when this kind of show did clever skits.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
November 22nd, 2023 at 5:53:33 AM permalink
it's about flavor enhancement
Quote:

Many of us would agree that a toasted sandwich is more appealing than the same meal on un-toasted bread. Did you know that science agrees, as well?

The Maillard reaction ...

https://cookingpanda.com/blogs/food-news/theres-actually-a-scientific-reason-as-to-why-toast-is-better-than-normal-bread
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
November 22nd, 2023 at 6:00:11 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Yes.
The specific advantages of a toaster oven vs slot toaster include...
Increased distance from heat source to bread (more even toasting, slower, but less efficient)
Can handle large breads (like a slice of boule or a split baguette)
Can handle small breads (a slice of baguette usually gets lost in a slot, requiring tongs and dexterity to extract)
Can handle breads too thick for a slot toaster
Constrained by rack area and your tesselation skill, not a product of slot count and slot dimension

Hey, I learned a new word today! Thanks, D!

Quote:

... and Axel, I don't care who you are, toasting some good bread and smearing butter on it is tasty. Scientists will probably "discover" that eating buttered toast activates neural pleasure centers, similar to chocolate or narcotics.
link to original post

C'mon, man, the last thing this forum needs is Axel posting here all hopped up on toast & butter! ;)

I bolded the good parts of Dieter's quote all by myself.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
November 22nd, 2023 at 6:02:46 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Most people like toast and that's fine, but I noticed that super old dumb uneducated people love toast and it becomes a richual for them.
link to original post

Suspended 3 days for personal insult. This Axelwolf post followed immediately after a post by EvenBob saying that he loved toast.

On the list of rules, Rule#1 of this forum is Absolutely No Personal Insults.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 22nd, 2023 at 6:52:11 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Hey, I learned a new word today! Thanks, D!
link to original post

(truncated)

Glad to help. New words (even if I misspell them a bit) are just one of the many benefits of membership.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
November 22nd, 2023 at 8:38:25 AM permalink

I have to hand it to The Mob Museum in Vegas. Unlike much more famous museums, it seems to actually end up in the news with interesting takes on issues. You might recall the barrel body found in Lake Mead. The museum released a list of Vegas connected missing mobsters that were plausible victim identities. The press ate it up as it added a sexy angle to a rather grotesque story. That mystery is yet to be solved.

Over the last few days, The Mob Museum is once again being referenced in the news. This time for one of the greatest of unsolved mysteries and the ultimate generator of conspiracy theories. Sixty years ago today JFK was assassinated in Dallas. Two years ago the museum released (what might be called) a quasi-conspiracy theory that maintains the lone gunman approach with an added Castro connection.

To make a long story short, Oswald visited the Cuban embassy in Mexico offering to shoot Kennedy in exchange for him receiving a comfy life in Cuba. After discussing amongst themselves, the Cubans agreed. They thought Oswald was a kook but saw little downside. If he failed they could deny everything. If he succeeded, the man actively trying to kill Castro would be dead and they could still deny everything. After all, they weren't actually telling the kook to do anything.

They told Oswald that once Kennedy was dead they would fly him to Havana. They lied. There was no way they would fly someone from Dallas to Cuba right after a president was assassinated. Instead they would dump Oswald into the Gulf of Mexico and eliminate the loose end.

Is any of this true? Who knows? Unlike many JFK conspiracy theories, however, it's simple, plausible and a little bit sexy. That seems to be how The Mob Museum rolls.

Full Story at The Mob Museum
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 22nd, 2023 at 9:32:52 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

I have to hand it to The Mob Museum in Vegas. Unlike much more famous museums, it seems to actually end up in the news with interesting takes on issues. You might recall the barrel body found in Lake Mead. The museum released a list of Vegas connected missing mobsters that were plausible victim identities. The press ate it up as it added a sexy angle to a rather grotesque story. That mystery is yet to be solved.

Over the last few days, The Mob Museum is once again being referenced in the news. This time for one of the greatest of unsolved mysteries and the ultimate generator of conspiracy theories. Sixty years ago today JFK was assassinated in Dallas. Two years ago the museum released (what might be called) a quasi-conspiracy theory that maintains the lone gunman approach with an added Castro connection.

To make a long story short, Oswald visited the Cuban embassy in Mexico offering to shoot Kennedy in exchange for him receiving a comfy life in Cuba. After discussing amongst themselves, the Cubans agreed. They thought Oswald was a kook but saw little downside. If he failed they could deny everything. If he succeeded, the man actively trying to kill Castro would be dead and they could still deny everything. After all, they weren't actually telling the kook to do anything.

They told Oswald that once Kennedy was dead they would fly him to Havana. They lied. There was no way they would fly someone from Dallas to Cuba right after a president was assassinated. Instead they would dump Oswald into the Gulf of Mexico and eliminate the loose end.

Is any of this true? Who knows? Unlike many JFK conspiracy theories, however, it's simple, plausible and a little bit sexy. That seems to be how The Mob Museum rolls.

Full Story at The Mob Museum
link to original post

For decades November 22nd was the day we always remembered. But it's faded over the years and if you hadn't brought this up I never would have made the connection. Unless you were alive at the time, I was a freshman in high school, you can have no idea what a traumatic weekend that was. People were upset on a scale that I have not seen since. They were literally grieving everywhere you went.

The worst of it was on Sunday morning when Lee Harvey Oswald got shot on live TV. Me and my sister and my brother and my mother were in the living room watching TV and out of blue Oswald gets shot. My sister was 13 and was a high strung emotional nut job anyway like most 13-year-old girls and she went berserk. She started screaming at the top of her lungs, the kind of screams you hear in horror movies, she's screaming what's happening, what's happening, so my mother starts screaming because hysteria is catching. My sister runs outside screaming at the top of her lungs and my dad is down by the creek cutting wood for the furnace and he thinks something horrible has happened and he comes running up the hill and it was just total mayhem. Only time in my life that I ever saw somebody shot and killed on live TV. It's not that my sister cared about Oswald, she was already tremendously emotionally upset and to see this happen right in front of her, she had an emotional breakdown. It took an hour to calm her down. I have absolutely no fond nostalgic memories of that weekend.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 22nd, 2023 at 12:08:26 PM permalink

The worst of it was on Sunday morning when Lee Harvey Oswald got shot on live TV. Me and my sister and my brother and my mother were in the living room watching TV and out of blue Oswald gets shot. My sister was 13 and was a high strung emotional nut job anyway like most 13-year-old girls and she went berserk. She started screaming at the top of her lungs, the kind of screams you hear in horror movies, she's screaming what's happening, what's happening, so my mother starts screaming because hysteria is catching. My sister runs outside screaming at the top of her lungs and my dad is down by the creek cutting wood for the furnace and he thinks something horrible has happened and he comes running up the hill and it was just total mayhem. Only time in my life that I ever saw somebody shot and killed on live TV. It's not that my sister cared about Oswald, she was already tremendously emotionally upset and to see this happen right in front of her, she had an emotional breakdown. It took an hour to calm her down. I have absolutely no fond nostalgic memories of that weekend.
link to original post

I still maintain that this is a point where American culture changed. Most of the nation saw someone killed live, right in their living rooms. It killed the postwar "childhood" of the USA.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 23rd, 2023 at 4:24:16 PM permalink
Black Friday streaming deals are on again. I just signed up for another year of Hulu for 99 cents a month. Looking for more. I just use a different email address and a different credit card and I got another year. I should get peacock but I never really watch it. Hulu has a lot of good movies

https://www.cnet.com/deals/best-black-friday-streaming-service-deals-2023/
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 23rd, 2023 at 4:40:41 PM permalink

Black Friday streaming deals are on again. I just signed up for another year of Hulu for 99 cents a month. Looking for more. I just use a different email address and a different credit card and I got another year. I should get peacock but I never really watch it. Hulu has a lot of good movies

link to original post

Do you know if that includes all of the live sports they have? If so, I may waste $12 on something I may never watch.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 23rd, 2023 at 4:49:56 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

Do you know if that includes all of the live sports they have? If so, I may waste $12 on something I may never watch.
link to original post

I know nothing about nothing to do with sports
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 23rd, 2023 at 5:09:25 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

When I got the 99 cent special a few years ago, it did not include ESPN+ live sports - that was part of the higher priced bundle deals.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
November 24th, 2023 at 3:49:09 AM permalink
AI makes it easy to generate fake photos of news events and really anything
I haven't done it but apparently it's very easy to do
there are probably millions of fake photos out there now being shuttled around on social media
legitimate news organizations are trying to verify which photos are real and to eliminate the fakes - but it's not easy for them to do this

a ton of more fake stuff out there now

welcome to our Brave New World

Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
November 24th, 2023 at 6:06:43 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

When I got the 99 cent special a few years ago, it did not include ESPN+ live sports - that was part of the higher priced bundle deals.
link to original post

Thank you, that is what I assumed.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 29th, 2023 at 6:11:29 AM permalink
Alan Mendelson was well known here probably mostly for his claims about 18 yos in a row

but his contribution to Journalism was pretty large - he even worked closely with Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather at CBS

pretty interesting - per the link he covered a Civil War in Ethiopia and was pinned down by enemy fire

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/longtime-kcal9-reporter-alan-mendelson-dies-70/

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
November 29th, 2023 at 6:51:34 AM permalink
Hmm, my car insurance rate went up 20% even though nothing new in my driving record.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
November 29th, 2023 at 7:07:23 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Hmm, my car insurance rate went up 20% even though nothing new in my driving record.
link to original post

Just a result of overall inflation. Nothing that you did personally.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 30th, 2023 at 4:04:30 AM permalink
kinna amusing - to me anyway - but I guess not to the seafood chain Red Lobster
they're on track to lose $20 million this year due to their all you can eat shrimp deal
customers just ate too much shrimp causing this stunning loss

https://www.mensjournal.com/news/red-lobster-lost-20-million-ultimate-endless-shrimp

rxwine
rxwine
November 30th, 2023 at 4:31:49 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

they're on track to lose $20 million this year due to their all you can eat shrimp deal

https://www.mensjournal.com/news/red-lobster-lost-20-million-ultimate-endless-shrimp

link to original post

Having a food, like a salad bar AYCE promotion is not so much of a problem as having to keep an estimate of preparing food. You could end up dumping some everyday if you guess wrong. I see the Bagel shop not far from me do this all the time, but they can sell day old bagels. I don't think Red Lobster would serve shrimp the next day if they already cooked it.

I imagine Vegas buffets lost food from people taking whatever they can squirrel away. (ladies with large purses)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 30th, 2023 at 4:52:23 AM permalink

link to original post

(sigh)
Or, negative numbers sum to a negative number. Always.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
November 30th, 2023 at 5:09:17 AM permalink

link to original post

Well, as they say, those that do not know their history are doomed to repeat it!

Red Lobster tried AYCE snow crabs 20 years ago with very similar results.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 30th, 2023 at 5:29:40 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

link to original post

Well, as they say, those that do not know their history are doomed to repeat it!

Red Lobster tried AYCE snow crabs 20 years ago with very similar results.

link to original post

I casually surveyed the girls in the house during breakfast.
While the 5 year old might have some trouble making this +EV, the rest were solidly convinced it would be "no problem" to eat more shrimp-value than the $20 plus whatever an iced tea costs inside whatever reasonable time limit they imposed.

Some diligence is required. Those biscuits can be filling.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 30th, 2023 at 5:39:59 AM permalink
I don't really have any desire to down huge amounts of food - even if it's very delicious
that's not at all appealing to me
but I guess it is to many
per the link from N.I.H. nearly 1 in 3 adults -30.7% - are overweight
and the link states that more than 2 in 5 adults - 42.4% have obesity - that seems high - doesn't seem right to me - how could it be higher than the % who are overweight____?
N.I.H. making glaring errors______________?

Red Lobster can't be blamed for all of it__________________________(-:\

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-statistics/overweight-obesity#:~:text=the%20above%20table-,Nearly%201%20in%203%20adults%20(30.7%25)%20are%20overweight.,9.2%25)%20have%20severe%20obesity.

Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
November 30th, 2023 at 8:05:40 AM permalink
The shrimp thing reminded me that 30+ years ago I worked in distribution for a fast food chain that offered a shrimp salad, then decided to remove it from the menu. We ended up with about 1200 50 pound cases of baby shrimp that we donated to a food bank.

I kept thinking we should have sold them to the Golden Gate casino.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
December 1st, 2023 at 7:56:12 AM permalink
I'm not going to say why I'm asking, but is anyone aware of a quick way, on Google Chrome, to zip to the top of a webpage if it goes to the bottom when you open it?
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
Mission146
December 1st, 2023 at 9:03:56 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I'm not going to say why I'm asking, but is anyone aware of a quick way, on Google Chrome, to zip to the top of a webpage if it goes to the bottom when you open it?
link to original post

Does Alt-Up work for you?
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
December 1st, 2023 at 9:52:23 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I don't know as I never knew that was a command. Actually, I didn't know the ALT button does commands as I usually use the Window button...which should be the CTRL button, but CTRL doesn't do anything on this computer.

Anyway, I tried it and it's much faster than scrolling, but doesn't go directly to the top. Thank you! This is an improvement.

EDIT: Window Button + UP does it immediately. Thank you again! I never would have known the UP key had anything to do with it. I thought you strictly had to use a mouse to move a page where you want it.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
DRich
DRich
December 1st, 2023 at 7:23:21 PM permalink

link to original post

If you look back about 15 years ago they did an all you can eat crab leg promotion and got destroyed so bad on it their CEO was on CNBC saying it was the worst decision he had ever made. The stock was down $405 million after it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 1st, 2023 at 9:45:46 PM permalink

link to original post

If you look back about 15 years ago they did an all you can eat crab leg promotion and got destroyed so bad on it their CEO was on CNBC saying it was the worst decision he had ever made. The stock was down $405 million after it.
link to original post

I don't feel sorry for them come on they're in the restaurant business, and yet they are that stupid? People can't afford to eat seafood at home so when they can get it in a restaurant all you can eat what did they think was going to happen. People are just going to go back and back and back and eat nothing but Seafood. Why do they think buffet restaurants practically double their price on Seafood night.
DRich
DRich
December 2nd, 2023 at 5:43:58 AM permalink

I don't feel sorry for them come on they're in the restaurant business, and yet they are that stupid? People can't afford to eat seafood at home so when they can get it in a restaurant all you can eat what did they think was going to happen. People are just going to go back and back and back and eat nothing but Seafood. Why do they think buffet restaurants practically double their price on Seafood night.

Since moving to Florida it still surprises me that in restaurants Shrimp is very reasonably priced. Having grown up in the midwest and spending 30 years in Las vegas shrimp was always relatively expensive. Here it is so reasonable. Yes, I realize they catch them here and shipping costs are minimal since they don't have to freeze them. Still seems strange to see a full shrimp dinner listed for $12.99 on a menu. Basically the same price as a hamburger.
rxwine
rxwine
December 2nd, 2023 at 5:59:57 AM permalink
I'm not sure what the product name was but I saw some "translator" ear buds. So, instead of fiddling with an app, you have the earbuds in, and when a person speaks in another language it translates their speech. Pretty cool. Even in the US could be useful at times.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 2nd, 2023 at 12:13:21 PM permalink
a serial killer targeting the homeless is on the loose in Vegas
5 homeless persons were shot and 2 died
they were shot yesterday
the suspect has not been apprehended

https://abc7chicago.com/las-vegas-homeless-shooting-spree-unhoused-people-killed-serial-killer/14130956/
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
Thanked by
DRich
December 2nd, 2023 at 1:39:07 PM permalink

.Alan Mendelson was well known here probably mostly for his claims about 18 yos in a row. but his contribution to Journalism was pretty large - he even worked closely with Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather at CBS. pretty interesting - per the link he covered a Civil War in Ethiopia and was pinned down by enemy fire.;
https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/longtime-kcal9-reporter-alan-mendelson-dies-70/
link to original post

He may have earned the rep as "The Moneyman" during his work life, but it seems that his love for gambling took a huge chunk of it..

Oh well...we all make our choices.

R.I.P. Alan, you were unique.
"What, me worry?"
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
December 2nd, 2023 at 11:45:17 PM permalink

Since moving to Florida it still surprises me that in restaurants Shrimp is very reasonably priced. Having grown up in the midwest and spending 30 years in Las vegas shrimp was always relatively expensive. Here it is so reasonable. Yes, I realize they catch them here and shipping costs are minimal since they don't have to freeze them. Still seems strange to see a full shrimp dinner listed for $12.99 on a menu. Basically the same price as a hamburger.
link to original post

Watch for Publix ads for great shrimp prices. They sell a 1.5 lb bag of large cooked, peeled, deveined extra-large shrimp just under $18. And this week it is in BOGO. So 3lbs @ $6/lb, completely first quality shrimp, each bigger than your index finger, almost 90 for that price.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
odiousgambitsmoothgrhJoeman
December 2nd, 2023 at 11:54:30 PM permalink
We used to go shrimping. I haven't been for a while. But all you need is a pole net and a lantern, and a place where salt or brackish water flows, like under a bridge on the way to the beach. You go at midnight or later, lower the lantern on a rope to just above the water, and put the net just under the water, under the lantern. The shrimp swim right into it, with the current. And they just stay in the net as long as the current flows in the same direction.

They must each lay hundreds of eggs, because they are either the stupidest or the most helpless sea life besides plants. So they couldn't survive without massive numbers of young. But they sure taste good.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
DRich
DRich
December 3rd, 2023 at 5:15:45 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Watch for Publix ads for great shrimp prices. They sell a 1.5 lb bag of large cooked, peeled, deveined extra-large shrimp just under $18. And this week it is in BOGO. So 3lbs @ $6/lb, completely first quality shrimp, each bigger than your index finger, almost 90 for that price.

Thank you. I rarely buy shrimp at the grocery store because my wife is deathly allergic to shellfish. She can't even sit at a table with someone eating it.

I hate to say this, but I always get excited when she goes out of town because I can then make shrimp, crab, and scallops at home.
TheCapitalShip
TheCapitalShip
  • Threads: 7
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 2:00:53 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I don't know as I never knew that was a command. Actually, I didn't know the ALT button does commands as I usually use the Window button...which should be the CTRL button, but CTRL doesn't do anything on this computer.

Anyway, I tried it and it's much faster than scrolling, but doesn't go directly to the top. Thank you! This is an improvement.

EDIT: Window Button + UP does it immediately. Thank you again! I never would have known the UP key had anything to do with it. I thought you strictly had to use a mouse to move a page where you want it.
link to original post

I know this is from 2 days ago....but also to help out a little bit.

Pressing the "Home" button actually brings you to the top as well, "End" brings you to the bottom.
You can also use both of these buttons on documents like Word/Excel to jump to the beginning/end of them as well.
rxwine
rxwine
December 3rd, 2023 at 4:13:10 PM permalink
Anyone notice a lot of finance related institutions seem to be doing more than the usual amount of "maintenance" activity? Or have I just encountered several coincidences?
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
December 4th, 2023 at 6:30:29 AM permalink

Anyone notice a lot of finance related institutions seem to be doing more than the usual amount of "maintenance" activity? Or have I just encountered several coincidences?
link to original post

I personally haven't noticed that, and I'm doing financial stuff on my computer almost every day.
rxwine
rxwine
December 4th, 2023 at 10:04:22 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

link to original post

I personally haven't noticed that, and I'm doing financial stuff on my computer almost every day.
link to original post

I see now. I have funds in credit unions in different states.

Quote:

About 60 credit unions in the US are experiencing outages because of a ransomware attack on an IT provider the credit unions use, a federal agency said Friday.

Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
December 4th, 2023 at 3:46:39 PM permalink
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
Thanked by
rainman
December 5th, 2023 at 12:46:02 PM permalink
By his own admission, Richard Marcus committed multiple felonies over the years. I'm also skeptical about the truthfulness of a number of his claims regarding gambling and cheating. He was definitely a grifter, and it would be easy to argue that he was a scumbag as well. He gave up his life of crime, though, so I guess that's something.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
December 8th, 2023 at 11:40:18 AM permalink
Can't imagine the odds.

He won $10 million last year in the NYS lottery. This week he won another $10 million on scratch-off tickets.
DRich
DRich
December 8th, 2023 at 11:42:53 AM permalink
Quote: Tanko

Can't imagine the odds.

He won $10 million last year in the NYS lottery. This week he won another $10 million on scratch-off tickets.
link to original post

LOL, who wins $6 million and continues to buy scratch off tickets.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
December 8th, 2023 at 1:09:57 PM permalink
I hear $300K/year is poverty level in many neighborhoods. $6 million would only last 20 years. Double up!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 8th, 2023 at 2:10:03 PM permalink

Quote: Tanko

Can't imagine the odds.

link to original post

LOL, who wins $6 million and continues to buy scratch off tickets.
link to original post

People get hooked. Saw a guy win $100 on one and scratch away the winnings.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
Wizard
December 8th, 2023 at 3:48:00 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

People get hooked.
link to original post

Absolutely. Here's my wife if she wins a decent $300 or $400 jackpot soon after we arrive at the casino. Instead of pocketing the money she'll start playing two machines at once like she's lost her mind. Left and right hand both going as fast as the buttons will go until the money is all gone. If she wins a decent jackpot when we're about to leave then I can force her to go but anytime in the middle she's way too far gone with the addiction. It's pure greed and it's really ugly to watch. I'm really glad we don't go to the casino anymore.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
December 8th, 2023 at 9:04:38 PM permalink
I don't know how the casinos have handled it in Las Vegas, but my go-to tribal casino in Oregon, Chinook Winds, was "all smoking" pre-Covid, except for a smaller, designated "non-smoking" section.

Covid came, it shut down and later reopened fully non-smoking.

The whole casino remained non-smoking, til now.

I was there yesterday / today and noticed a change: a small section is now sectioned off and is a designated "smoking" section.
"What, me worry?"
  • Jump to: