Thread Rating:

GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
June 12th, 2014 at 2:54:08 AM permalink
geee BBB. The feeling that I want is OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG, then when it is over I want to say, wholly crap that was scary but then think it was fun/neat/awesome.

To be fair, my wife and I used to travel around the country to go to the best haunted houses. We have been to most of the big popular ones. Maybe we are pseudo thrill seekers.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
June 12th, 2014 at 3:09:47 AM permalink
Quote: Face

(you-tube link)

OK, Face, have to respect your opinion. But why not start with what has to be the most offensive before getting to the moderately dubious? The image, fans, and the organization in DC are actually respectful; I'll grant the name thing.

Other fans/organizations are much worse. The chanting as at Florida State and Atlanta Braves is the worst.

Which of the below is more offensive?

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 12th, 2014 at 3:11:11 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Maybe about average, maybe more than average for 5+ decades. Most of that was exhilarating, but not fun.

Yeah, but look at the character! You stayed at your post and even when lying in the ditch to be safer from the tornado you at least were looking up at the storm with curiosity rather than looking away from it in fear.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
June 12th, 2014 at 3:42:38 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

OK, Face, have to respect your opinion. But why not start with what has to be the most offensive before getting to the moderately dubious? The image, fans, and the organization in DC are actually respectful; I'll grant the name thing.

Other fans/organizations are much worse. The chanting as at Florida State and Atlanta Braves is the worst.

The "Washington" part of Washington Redskins :-)
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
June 12th, 2014 at 6:01:40 AM permalink

Sorry, OG (and everyone). I had a moment where I had a big, wooden spoon, and I had to stir something. This is the pot I chose ;)

That link I supplied is actually a commercial to be aired during the NBA finals. It's going round and round the native community, and I liked the commercial. As most should know from previous conversations, I'm not on the side of demanding a name change. But I can't help but bring to light the hurt that it absolutely causes.

Some might pipe in here and say that most of the names, logos, and actions, such as the "Tomahawk Chop", are endorsed by the tribes involved. And they are right, they are. But like any form of government, the opinions of the body don't always reflect those of the people.

A local native youth tackled this subject as a project for his college studies. He interview local natives and asked their opinion of the Redskins, specifically. Of course, as expected and as I know, there were many who are very upset at the continuation of its use. Chink, nigger, kike, these are terms most won't dare utter even in the context I just have, yet when it comes to natives, we'll toss the same term out in conversation, on National TV, hell, we'll even print it on a shirt, sell it for $80, and parade it around town. That is messed up.

But there were others who were not only not bothered, but appreciated its use. The thinking behind it was that natives and the native population are largely forgotten. The people, the culture, the way of life, these are things that non natives are largely ignorant of unless they live juxtaposed to a reservation. By having these names of these sports teams, it keep natives relevant. It makes people aware. It gives exposure to the people who have largely been ignored and forgotten. I can't say I've ever thought about it that way. I can't say I totally agree, as there are other ways to shine a light on a people besides using hateful slurs, but I can understand it and appreciate the viewpoint.

As to which is more offensive, I guess it depends who you ask. Usually the ones who are offended at, say, the name "Redskins" are also offended at the Chop, the chants, and everything else. Personally, as I've said before, I'm not offended by any, at least not to the point I'd do something about it. If you start chopping during the 7th inning stretch, I'll totally be more offended that you actually watch baseball than that you're doing the Chop. Do it at me to mock me, or actually call me a redskin, that's when I'd have a problem. Context is everything for what I'd personally take offense to.

This wasn't a pro-change-the-name post. I just saw the commercial and wanted to post it.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 122
June 12th, 2014 at 6:08:11 AM permalink

So, ok. Just for fun, I have been through the following (feel free to skip this; I'm just listing these for the hell of it, per GWAE):

1. I have flown through the top of a tornado in the cockpit of an American Airlines jet while it was in the process of killing ~25 people in Louisiana/Mississippi. That was an amazing ride, with a cowboy captain and a freaked out co-pilot. Oops. A few people in the back got hurt. November 1992, I think. Might have the year wrong (edit; I did. corrected). RIP to those who suffered below.
2. I have had a tornado skip over the top of me while lying in a ditch, in Iowa. Looked straight up into it. around summer 1974.
3. I have been in an earthquake that shook the tower, rolled me across the room on a wheeled chair, and dropped a heavy BRITE scope from the ceiling onto the console, along with ceiling panels. Can't remember the Richter; around 5, so not like Northridge or another big one. 1992?
4. I have flown through St. Elmo's fire (ring of lightning that crawls up all sides of the airplane) several times.
5. I have lived within 20 miles of an active volcano in Kona, HI, 2011, and was unknowingly breathing the ash cloud for months during the night. (It rises and falls with the ambient air temperature; I was at 1100' elevation with no air conditioning.) The MOMENT I left the island (as in breathing the airplane air), I began coughing up black ash and it took 3 days of continuous coughing to get the black out of my mouth and off my tongue. Apparently my lungs appreciated the different air, because that wasn't happening before I departed. Probably the most personally alarming of all of these.
6. I have had a waterspout pass within 100 feet of me while working traffic and unable to leave. Kona again. 2010, I think. Extremely rare there.
7. I have been in a 2 person airplane where the landing gear collapsed. Technically a crash, but while the aircraft was damaged, we were unhurt. 1986.
8. I have been in more hurricanes than I care to remember, especially in 2004, but probably about 20 lifetime. Storm surge came within 1 inch of flooding my house during Charlie, did put my garage and pool underwater; I was out in it all night clearing storm drains. The eye passed directly over my house; we went outside and looked at everything - just minor damage. Some co-workers lost roofs; my 2nd level supe's house split in half vertically and was destroyed. 1 week without electricity/phones; 2 weeks before the floodwater fully receded.
9. I worked for 2 weeks in the middle of a forest fire (the fire tower as temporary duty) that ultimately burned 1/2 of Florida in 1998, and several months within three - five miles of it, same circumstances. Had to drive through the fire each way to work TDY, finding passable/open routes.
10. I was on duty for the tsunami of 2011 in Hawaii, with the runway next to the ocean. They thought it would be 6 feet, wiping out the airport; it was 4 inches. No effect; some waves at high tide breached the shore and drained away.

Maybe about average, maybe more than average for 5+ decades. Most of that was exhilarating, but not fun.

Babs is no longer invited to visit here.....
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
June 12th, 2014 at 8:42:01 AM permalink
Got a PM Monday from EvenBob telling me to hurry back and insult someone. I am walking on eggs shells after my latest suspension.
My remark was only about a certain person's evaluation as a gambler, no more and no less That's it. Mike's House Mike's Rules. I was WRONG !

This is just a question? Or rather an observation and not aimed at the person who posted it or anyone who reads this .

" Which of the below is more offensive? "

Is that sorta like saying Hey, I only called you a coo* and not a n****r ?

Maybe I am to F******* old to be political correct I guess. Maybe I oughta just run and hide like Bob did !!!!
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
June 12th, 2014 at 10:26:01 AM permalink
I was in Maui during the 2011 "tsunami". Fun night at the Marriott Wailea. My wife was freaking out, wanting to go all the way up Haleakalâ (10,000 MSL) to avoid the impending doom. I monitored the buoy readings as the wave crossed the ocean and assured her that the wave at most would be a few feet and that the bottom of the hotel was higher than that.

Nonetheless, the hotel was evacuated and we were relegated to the convention centre (separate building, 50 - 60 MSL) where we treated to a free breakfast. My wife and I decided to avoid all of the mayhem and walked up to the mall, grabbed a bottle of wine, and tried to sleep in the car just up the street -- though we were awakened every 1/2 hour by the emergency sirens. I have video of the wave -- it was an 18 inch surge.

It was a good emergency exercise for most.

Other than that, haven't seen a tornado, haven't been an air crash, and haven't been in a major earthquake, hurricane, or forest fire.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
June 12th, 2014 at 10:36:23 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Acting on my son's repeated recommendations, I finally watched "Lone Survivor."

An OUTSTANDING movie.

We saw it, pretty good war flick. I could have used a bit more involvement with the characters, but all in all it was very harrowing.
A falling knife has no handle.
Mosca
Mosca
June 12th, 2014 at 10:59:48 AM permalink
Our house got hit by an F2 tornado on Dec 1, 2006. We got lucky, and only lost part of the roof and part of the chimney: it was just skipping when it got to us.

It was really cool that this tree fell in the right place:

rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
June 12th, 2014 at 11:59:22 AM permalink
How is braves an offensive term? That's like saying vikings is an offensive term.
GWAE
GWAE
June 12th, 2014 at 12:04:48 PM permalink
Glad there was no major damage. Did you go out and at least look at it?

Speaking of a tree falling. I had a tree fall onto my car and house 2 years ago. I was in the kitchen and it fell right on top of the kitchen. It was really weird/neat because I heard a loud noise of it falling and then all of a sudden everything got really dark as it covered the windows. I thought the grim reaper was coming for me.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Mosca
Mosca
June 12th, 2014 at 1:35:14 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Glad there was no major damage. Did you go out and at least look at it?

It was night. It really did sound like a freight train, but in every direction. We were watching TV, but not live, so we didn't know it was coming. The windows started rattling, like they were going to break (they didn't), and we all went to the basement.

As soon as it passed, it was calm, and then about 30 seconds later sirens started going off all around. Outside it was pitch black, no lights anywhere. We went out to look, but all we could see was the downed tree, and the downed trees across the street, and there were shingles and bricks and debris everywhere.

During the day the temperature had risen to almost 70*; after the storm passed through it had dropped to about 40*, and during the night into the 20s. We have electric heat... it was cold. The electricity (& heat) was off from Friday around 6:30PM until Sunday around 2PM, with night temps in the 20s and day temps in the low 30s; the winds had tossed a truck onto a transformer station. Damn, that was cold. I'll never be an adventurer. The girls went over to the inlaws to get showered and stay warm, I stuck around. When the power came back, I waited an hour, then took a nice long hot shower, it felt great.

First thing I did the morning after the storm was call State Farm, and I do have to say: I had a claim started that day (Saturday) with a preliminary amount, a crew came out and did an estimate Sunday, and Monday morning at 7:30 they were starting work on repairing it.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 12th, 2014 at 1:41:54 PM permalink
Quote:

Other than that, haven't seen a tornado, haven't been an air crash, and haven't been in a major earthquake, hurricane, or forest fire.

Forest fire related tale:

One summer day we motored up the Columbia gorge to watch a forest fire which was burning near Multnomah Falls.

On the way home, I got pulled over for speeding.

The cop asked me "Do you know how fast you were going?"

Before I could answer, my son (about 10 at the time) piped up "He was doing 75."
"What, me worry?"
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
June 12th, 2014 at 3:03:07 PM permalink
well, in VA a tornado-containing something or other went over us on 95 and when it got to Charles County MD touched down. For us, it was just an awful rain event that stalled traffic because no one could see.

otherwise this stuff seems to avoid me.

But, the 2011 5.8 strength VA earthquake was moderately scary for me. I was in a building when we realized the initial odd vibration was a quake; then not only did it keep going on, but it just kept getting stronger. Finally after at approx a couple of minutes it got so strong I felt strongly that if it got any stronger, things would start falling from the ceiling. We ran to an inner wall, but then it stopped. They say to get under a desk or whatever and I realize now that would have been the better move.

PS: my wife had it worse [apparently]; at home, the townhouse started groaning from swaying and that freaked her out pretty bad.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
June 12th, 2014 at 3:31:40 PM permalink
I just remembered I was in a dust devil in a parking lot in Vegas. Biggest one I've ever been in. Large cardboard boxes were flying around me, picked up from the nearby dumpster, and of course, lots of sand or dirt.

Because it came up from behind the experience was surreal because I had no idea at first what was going on. Poltergeist? Telekinesis? The wind just starts from zero to super gusts.

It was 30 or 40 feet, in height, not small at all.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
June 12th, 2014 at 6:35:24 PM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

How is braves an offensive term? That's like saying vikings is an offensive term.

There are no such things as offensive terms. Terms lack the context required to be offensive.

Of course there will always be some number of people who choose to get offended by just about anything, but that does not make it offensive.

And, yes, getting offended is a choice. I am completely unoffendable, by choice. You say something stupid, and I am supposed to be upset? That makes no sense. If you say something stupid, you should be upset, not me.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
June 12th, 2014 at 7:07:13 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Got a PM Monday from EvenBob telling me to hurry back and insult someone. I am walking on eggs shells after my latest suspension.
My remark was only about a certain person's evaluation as a gambler, no more and no less That's it. Mike's House Mike's Rules. I was WRONG !!

Did Buzz just reveal the contents of a Private Message? ;)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
June 12th, 2014 at 7:24:16 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Did Buzz just reveal the contents of a Private Message? ;)

Yup. Except you should never believe anything Buzz says. Buzz has said that many times. So then he didn't. Unless you never believe Buzz, which means you shouldn't never believe him.

Knowing Buzz is like living on the Mobius highway.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
GWAE
GWAE
June 12th, 2014 at 7:52:43 PM permalink

Yup. Except you should never believe anything Buzz says. Buzz has said that many times. So then he didn't. Unless you never believe Buzz, which means you shouldn't never believe him.

mind.......blown
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
June 12th, 2014 at 8:26:00 PM permalink

The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
June 13th, 2014 at 7:15:35 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

If I won the lottery I always thought about just creating a nonprofit and donating the ticket to it. This way you get more bang for the buck and won't be killed for your money taking a small salary from the charity.

or a very very large salary. No one has to know.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
GWAE
GWAE
June 13th, 2014 at 8:29:39 AM permalink
Random thought of the day:
Why does fat taste so good. Damn the person who decided that we should make bacon
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
June 13th, 2014 at 8:51:56 AM permalink
I'm not trying to be racist here but, Why do black people have to BLAST their phones with rap crap music on public transportation?

I had to take a 3 hr train ride. Directly in front of me a guy was blasting his phone. Not wanting to be a nark, I asked him to turn it down a bit. A bit he did, a whopping 20%. Not more then 15 minutes later a different black gentleman started doing the same thing, he was watching You Tube videos of gang fighting/backyard fighting or something.

Even more disrespectful, there were 2 young kids who could hear all of this. The usual rap lyrics, "N this, N that, F this, F that". Luckily one guy fell asleep and the other guys phone charge seemed to go dead.

This is not the only time I have ran into this type of thing.

I would like to add, I'm not some old fart and I can even appreciate some old school rap. I just think its common decency not to blast your phone in certain places.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
GWAE
GWAE
June 15th, 2014 at 12:35:26 PM permalink

I am getting so freaking annoyed by what managers are doing with starting pitchers. You get a starting pitcher go 7 scoreless innings with 80 pitches and the manager pulls him for his "8th inning man". I mean WTF, let your starter go. He is in a groove and if he allows a hit then pull him. The Pirates have had this situation 4 times in the last 10 days and the bull pen is either blowing the game or making it closer than they should.
GWAE
GWAE
June 15th, 2014 at 12:47:14 PM permalink
there they go again. I wrote the above as soon as they started the 8th and the Marlins tied it up. Stupid freaking managers. Stop over managing and let your players win the game.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
June 15th, 2014 at 1:17:00 PM permalink

I am getting so freaking annoyed by what managers are doing with starting pitchers. You get a starting pitcher go 7 scoreless innings with 80 pitches and the manager pulls him for his "8th inning man". I mean WTF, let your starter go. He is in a groove and if he allows a hit then pull him. The Pirates have had this situation 4 times in the last 10 days and the bull pen is either blowing the game or making it closer than they should.

In the National League you gotta think about pulling the guy if he is the typical pitcher at bat. The last innings in the NL can be pretty intense; teams with good bullpens need to use them so a skilled manager can work in those pinch hitters. One explanation anyway.
GWAE
GWAE
June 15th, 2014 at 1:25:03 PM permalink

In the National League you gotta think about pulling the guy if he is the typical pitcher at bat. The last innings in the NL can be pretty intense; teams with good bullpens need to use them so a skilled manager can work in those pinch hitters. One explanation anyway.

yeah I could understand the pitcher batting thing but in todays case. Varley bats in the top of the 7th, pitches the 7th with 9 pitches.
Vance Worley pitching:
Marcell Ozuna : Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Strike looking, Ozuna struck out looking.
Adeiny Hechavarria : Hechavarria popped out to third.
Jeff Mathis : Strike looking, Foul, Mathis lined out to center.
End of Inning (0 Runs, 0 Hits, 0 Errors)

Then they pull him for the 8th. He had 95 pitches but hell he isn't even a normal starter so they don't need to worry about pitch count. It was just a stupid ass move but it is such common place now.
Buzzard
Buzzard
June 15th, 2014 at 2:36:09 PM permalink

This is just getting too damn much. No use being sarcastic if people take you serious !

And Babs, the divorce decree is supposed to protect me from such assaults.

Except Ace left enough loopholes in it to drive a bus through.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
June 15th, 2014 at 4:01:09 PM permalink
GWAE What kind of money are Pirates tickets going for the cheapest lately. How much do those scalpers charging? I've noticed some selling and some probably in the same group buying standing somewhere else. I'll probably be trying some Fridays soon.
I am a robot.
GWAE
GWAE
June 15th, 2014 at 5:19:12 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

GWAE What kind of money are Pirates tickets going for the cheapest lately. How much do those scalpers charging? I've noticed some selling and some probably in the same group buying standing somewhere else. I'll probably be trying some Fridays soon.

There are scalpers all over the place starting at about 7am day of game. I had a bad experience with one of them so I never deal. There are plenty of tickets available on their website and decent seats are only about 20 each. If you want good box seats they are like $50 iirc
GWAE
GWAE
June 16th, 2014 at 9:16:33 AM permalink

It is weird to get older. Granted I am only 34 but getting older none the less. Today Tony Gwynn died. I grew up watching him play. It is just surreal that people I watched play sports are dieing and people that were older when I was growing up are to. I know it is a fact of life but it doesn't make it any less weird.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
June 16th, 2014 at 9:27:29 AM permalink

It is just surreal that people I watched play sports are dieing and people that were older when I was growing up are

get just a bit older ... then your friends start dying too
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
June 16th, 2014 at 11:31:20 AM permalink

I didn't need to reach 34 for that to start happening.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Buzzard
Buzzard
June 16th, 2014 at 12:45:34 PM permalink

I quit googling for friends. Too many damn depressing obituaries. Why is it only the good die young ? Like my cousin Cookie. A look-alike for Annette Funicello. First cousins, but I had such a crush.

She moved into abad neighborhood and I would visit twice a week to let everybody know she was my cousin. I would bring a hot loaf of french bread, a gallon of milk, and a pound of Land O Lakes butter. What a great memory !!!!!

Gone forever. Tried calling her husband a few times, but just hung up when he answered. What the hell was I gonna say anyway ?????
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
June 16th, 2014 at 12:48:49 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

I quit googling for friends. Too many damn depressing obituaries. Why is it only the good die young ? Like my cousin Cookie. A look-alike for Annette Funicello. First cousins, but I had such a crush.

She moved into abad neighborhood and I would visit twice a week to let everybody know she was my cousin. I would bring a hot loaf of french bread, a gallon of milk, and a pound of Land O Lakes butter. What a great memory !!!!!

Gone forever. Tried calling her husband a few times, but just hung up when he answered. What the hell was I gonna say anyway ?????

You know, Buzzard, I think he might well have appreciated the chance to reminisce with someone else who loved her. You might try again. People you love who are gone are never dead while their memory lives in others.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
June 17th, 2014 at 8:21:42 AM permalink

It is weird to get older. Granted I am only 34 but getting older none the less. Today Tony Gwynn died. I grew up watching him play. It is just surreal that people I watched play sports are dieing and people that were older when I was growing up are to. I know it is a fact of life but it doesn't make it any less weird.

Welcome to the beginning of accepting your own mortality. When we are young we don't really accept the fact that we will ever die. North Americans generally do a really poor job of accepting aging and the natural event that is called death. When a child dies it is a tragedy. When an older person dies after a full and productive life it is not a tragedy, yes it can be sad and the death of a family members leaves a small hole in your heart that never completely heals. Death however is as natural as birth and should not be feared or ignored but accepted as part of the human condition.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 17th, 2014 at 4:44:01 PM permalink
Quote: kenarman

Death however is as natural as birth and should not be feared or ignored but accepted as part of the human condition.

No thanks. I think I'd rather have myself mummified and buried on the western bank of the Nile to await resurrection in the next world.

Any idea where I can obtain 300 kilos of nitron?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
June 18th, 2014 at 3:57:12 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

No thanks. I think I'd rather have myself mummified and buried on the western bank of the Nile to await resurrection in the next world.

Any idea where I can obtain 300 kilos of nitron?

You do realize that they suck your brains out through your nose when they do that. Of course that might prove that people do come back, I know a lot of people with no brains.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
Nareed
Nareed
June 18th, 2014 at 4:27:18 PM permalink
Quote: kenarman

You do realize that they suck your brains out through your nose when they do that.

I wonder what the market is for brain-less resurrected bodies in the next world. I know here one can have a political career.

Quote:

Of course that might prove that people do come back, I know a lot of people with no brains.

I think that's a Hindu belief.

In any case, there's nothing magical about mummification. It's just one means of emblaming. I'm quite sure Ra, Amun, Horus, Isis and the gang, except Seth (perhaps), would not mind resurrecting a modern embalmed mummy, so long as the body was in the westren bank of the Nile. That is the magical part ;)

Seriously, countries that practice embalming today are, in effect, doing the same thing the Egyptians did, only using preservatives and modern techniques rather than dessication. The vast majority of dead bodies found in American cemeteries since embalming became common are, in fact, modern versions of mummies.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
June 18th, 2014 at 5:57:00 PM permalink
Double post my bad
Vote for Nobody 2020!
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
June 18th, 2014 at 5:57:49 PM permalink

The point of the word was more that the same people don't realize that their entitlements are government handouts, not fully paid for by them. In most cases, SS receivers get much more than they put in, even if compounded interest is considered, just because we're living longer.

This is just not true. The government says that the average man who retired in 2010 paid $345k in SS and Medicare taxes and will recieve $417k in benefits. For someone to work 45 years and see their investment to have only gained about 20% in value is just terrible. It was an extremely generous system for the first few people who retired but it has been an impoverishing program for the most recent generations who could have invested their retirement money far more effectively than the pyramid scheme called social security. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/whats-the-return-on-your-social-security-taxes/
Vote for Nobody 2020!
Buzzard
Buzzard
June 18th, 2014 at 7:09:54 PM permalink
I think when you die it's just like going to sleep. But you never wake up. Only thegood die young. I am proof of that.

When I married Josie she was 18 and I was 28. SWEET

74 and 64 is a little different. I go first and she loses her world.

She goes first and 2 people back East a long time ago will have an appointment with me and Mister Tire Iron.

DEATH, WHERE IS THY STING !
Nareed
Nareed
June 19th, 2014 at 10:50:20 AM permalink
Ancient Egyptians expected to be resurrected in the next world, and that life would go on there much as it had been here, only better. That's the reason they were buried with goods and possesions, so they'd have them in the next world.

One artifact was a kind of proxy. A small human statuete which would work for the deceased one day, meaning 24 hours, in the next world. I forget the name for these things. The poor had one, and it was about the only thing buried with them. So they're commonly found all over Egypt.

You'd expect the rich to have 365, right? Not quite. They had over 400.

Why?

This is really cute, in a macabre sort of way. For every ten proxies, the rich also included a sueprvisor to make sure the ten would work. It's almost as though these powerful and rich men and women, usually priests, government officials, merhcants and of course kings (or pharaohs), were playing house in their graves. Not just tkaing along posessions, but also dolls to which they assigned characters ;)

If I chose to be buried after I'm gone, I'd love to get one authentic ancient doll and put it in my coffin. that may give future archeologists fits ;)
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
June 19th, 2014 at 12:59:58 PM permalink
Quote: bigfoot66

This is just not true. The government says that the average man who retired in 2010 paid $345k in SS and Medicare taxes and will recieve $417k in benefits. For someone to work 45 years and see their investment to have only gained about 20% in value is just terrible. It was an extremely generous system for the first few people who retired but it has been an impoverishing program for the most recent generations who could have invested their retirement money far more effectively than the pyramid scheme called social security. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/whats-the-return-on-your-social-security-taxes/

This is really the problem. Forget (for the moment) the fact that it's a pyramid scheme. The fact that excess SS funds MUST be invested in US treasury bonds makes it pretty much the worst-performing retirement fund possible.
GWAE
GWAE
June 20th, 2014 at 4:13:49 PM permalink
Sigh.. it is a humid evening. DW says hey let's stop at dairy queen. I say, yes that sounds good. Pull into the parking lot and there is a sign on the door that says closed due to technical difficulties. Sigh...
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
June 20th, 2014 at 4:31:20 PM permalink

DW

Da Wife ?
GWAE
GWAE
June 20th, 2014 at 4:32:31 PM permalink
Internet slang for darling wife
GWAE
GWAE
June 22nd, 2014 at 6:19:37 AM permalink
cinnamon toast crunch has got to be the best cereal ever made. It is also very expensive. Mmmmmmmmmmmm
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
June 22nd, 2014 at 8:40:27 AM permalink

cinnamon toast crunch has got to be the best cereal ever made. It is also very expensive. Mmmmmmmmmmmm

all cereal is way too expensive, it ticks me off

'cept maybe hot cereal. Today is my day for grits. Anymore I *must* have stone-ground grits if at all possible.

I can really get going on the subject of the way Southerners like ... anymore I think I should say *should like* ... their grits. A#1 it should never be instant or quick grits. Furthermore, for dinner grits, they should be fairly firm, like well made mashed potatoes. For breakfast I will accept a less firm version but it NEVER should be runny!

The ABOMINATION is what is being taught in these Northern chef schools and alas it is spreading down South to my complete chagrin. Watching chef shows on TV has tipped me off: they tell their students that grits and polenta are similar. That's OK as far as it goes, being true to some degree, but as a dish they are quite different but what winds up being the lesson is "hey it's all the same" grrrrrrrrrrr! For dishes calling for grits it is, yes, an abomination to substitute polenta! In VA where I live I was served a shrimp and grit entree where polenta was substituted. It doesnt ruin the dish, but it is not authentic. If the chef had come out to see us he would have heard about it from me. Hopefully he was just ashamed of himself.

I also don't know what to think of cheese grits that is so often served.

I can also get going even worse on cornbread and the way it is made up North and the way it *should* be made down South. I'm risking apoplexy so I avoid that subject. Thanks GWAE for getting me going. [g]
  • Jump to: