rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
Thanked by
beachbumbabsgamerfreakpetroglyphRomes
January 12th, 2018 at 6:53:32 PM permalink
Quote: RS

I'm not "looking" for immigrants.

I think the rightwing has been fooling everyone about this. Everyone knows you don't go after the small fry. Make American employers serve 5 years in prison for hiring an illegal immigrant. You won't need a wall. You probably can reduce the border patrol expenses.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
January 12th, 2018 at 7:53:06 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Make American employers serve 5 years in prison for hiring an illegal immigrant.

That works, too.

But as soon as people start going to prison for hiring illegals, you know every liberal and their mother is going to be rioting up and down the streets, saying it's racist/bigoted/every other name in the book, and something about "they're people too".
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
January 12th, 2018 at 9:11:19 PM permalink

I think the rightwing has been fooling everyone about this. Everyone knows you don't go after the small fry. Make American employers serve 5 years in prison for hiring an illegal immigrant. You won't need a wall. You probably can reduce the border patrol expenses.

I'm right there with you, buddy. Right after we lock up Hillary, The Bush Crime Family, and Henry Kissinger the war criminal, I'm right there with you. And right after we do that, we'll start going after these employers, and I'll even click the "thank you" button.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 12th, 2018 at 9:16:12 PM permalink

You won't need a wall. You probably can reduce the border patrol expenses.

Oh, and before we start going after the employers and doing all the other stuff, let's bring our boys HOME from Iraq, Afghanistan, etc., and put THEM on the border.

End of rant. (for tonight anyway)
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
January 13th, 2018 at 12:14:11 AM permalink

I'm pretty sure one year would be enough. Right there is the root of the truth about whether or not government wants to stop illegals coming on over. That wall is wrong on so many levels. It's a ridiculous jobs program for all the Haliburtons and Bechtel's out there. And ugly, really ugly. What does the world have against open vista's?
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
January 13th, 2018 at 3:31:23 AM permalink

Make American employers serve 5 years in prison for hiring an illegal immigrant.

The government does punish the violators, but the illegals keep on coming.

CBS

I.C.E.

Politifact

Even if they can't find work, it's still better here than in their s@#t hole countries.

Honduras has a population of 948,000.

One-third of that population, 343,000, are living unauthorized in the U.S. Wikipedia
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 13th, 2018 at 3:47:01 AM permalink

Hopefully enough people will believe we don't need Trump -regardless of their views. And if they do, that's really sad, and nothing to be proud of.

Agree. But how do we get a non pompous, non bombastic, politician that generally is pro business, anti-handout, etc..... The Democrats have none, and the Republicans are unable to take on Trump. (And lowering taxes on businesses is NOT a handout!)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 13th, 2018 at 3:55:20 AM permalink

Great idea. We would need some sort of official "Citizen" ID, like making every American have a passport. If you are here you either need an American passport or a passport from whatever country you are a citizen of. Make it free, and tie it to voter registration as well. No ID, no job. No ID, deport to country of origin, or go to jail. Hire without checking ID, you go to jail.

I'm trying to figure out what problem the right or left will have with this?
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
January 13th, 2018 at 5:01:08 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Great idea. We would need some sort of official "Citizen" ID, like making every American have a passport. If you are here you either need an American passport or a passport from whatever country you are a citizen of. Make it free, and tie it to voter registration as well. No ID, no job. No ID, deport to country of origin, or go to jail. Hire without checking ID, you go to jail.

I've always said I have no problem with voter ID as long as they make the required ID free and easy to get (by "easy" I mean dont force people to drive far away to obtain it, and make sure the DMV or wherever they have to go is open all day long and on weekends).

Some righties on here always seem to have a problem with this though...
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
January 13th, 2018 at 5:01:15 AM permalink

How do you prove that you are a US citizen if you were not born in this country?
What is acceptable proof?
I am a US citizen.
I was not born in this country
I believe I have acceptable proof that I am an American citizen
I keep that proof in a bank safety deposit box. The paper documents are almost 60 years old. My birth was immediately reported to the US state Dept in the foreign country I was born.
yet
The govt may not accept my proof.
I went to renew my drivers lisc right before last years election
I went to my safety deposit box and brought 60 year old documents proving my citizenship to the Lisc renewal office
The clerk looked over my proof and refused to renew my lisc
She felt I lacked the proof to prove I am an American citizen and said her dept needed several months of research to determine if I am truly an American citizen.. No way I was going that rout. This American citizen refused to have his vote taken away by some stupid clerk. I voted in every election since 1978. I argued that I had the documents that proved I am an American citizen. After waiting over 30 min as she talked to her supervisor, they relented and renewed my drivers lisc. Whew. I should not be put in a position where my citizenship is questioned and my vote taken away. I felt lucky my vote was not taken away. My right to vote should not depend on luck and my ability to argue with a clerk. It makes me wonder how many US citizens like me were unable to vote because they did not want to argue with the govt.
My question
What is acceptable proof for a US citizen to prove he or she is an American citizen?
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
January 13th, 2018 at 5:33:23 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

How do you prove that you are a US citizen if you were not born in this country?
I am a US citizen.
I keep that proof in a bank safety deposit box. The paper documents are almost 60 years old. My birth was immediately reported to the US state Dept in the foreign country I was born.
yet
I went to my safety deposit box and brought 60 year old documents proving my citizenship to the Lisc renewal office
She felt I lacked the proof to prove I am an American citizen and said her dept needed several months of research to determine if I am truly an American citizen.. No way I was going that rout. This American citizen refused to have his vote taken away by some stupid clerk. I voted in every election since 1978. I argued that I had the documents that proved I am an American citizen. After waiting over 30 min as she talked to her supervisor, they relented and renewed my drivers lisc. Whew. I should not be put in a position where my citizenship is questioned and my vote taken away. I felt lucky my vote was not taken away. My right to vote should not depend on luck and my ability to argue with a clerk. It makes me wonder how many US citizens like me were unable to vote because they did not want to argue with the govt.
My question
What is acceptable proof for a US citizen to prove he or she is an American citizen?

How do you
Expect anyone
To ever
To read that sort of
Writing
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
Thanked by
Mooseton
January 13th, 2018 at 6:29:34 AM permalink
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
January 13th, 2018 at 7:04:59 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

How do you
Expect anyone
To ever
To read that sort of
Writing

I learned that
In 3rd grade
Its called
Poetry
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
January 13th, 2018 at 7:33:36 AM permalink
The WH released this statement:

(In reality, the doctor spells his name "Ronny.")

What are the odds that Dr. Ronny Jackson actually wrote that statement? LOLOLOLOL
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
Boz
January 13th, 2018 at 7:57:48 AM permalink

I am a US citizen.
yet
My question

I'm assuming we're talking Florida. I think you said you're here.

I renewed in July, ahead of the election on purpose. I go in there with my not-expired license, same.state. not good enough. I very luckily had my passport in the car, and that was aufficient, though I had to be in the line twice after I went to get it.

Florida basic licenses are good for 10 years. They just started issuing the enhanced ones that allow you to fly. So they have new, more stringent procedures to comply with federal.security regulations.

And, as always, there's stuff going on we don't know. Florida was the adopted home of several 9-11 terrorists. There are people living in the States for decades, then activated as foreign agents. You're a non-white non-native male in a paranoid and prejudiced country. Florida purged 10s of thousands of voters based just on their names, under the Governor who's still governor.

None of that justifies the hassle they put you through, of course. I'm guessing, but I think you got someone uncomfortable with new procedures, whose job was threatened if they didn't get it right about your being allowed a license. Were I you, I would get a US Passport and keep it up to date. (I thought you had one).
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
Thanked by
SOOPOORS
January 13th, 2018 at 8:11:17 AM permalink
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5a591c2ee4b03c4189658d23?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Another great story of how far out of touch the HP and the fringe left is. Take something most agree on, making those on benefits that are healthy and able to work do just that.

Best line of the story....The now have to pay a part of their insurance, UP to $15.

Once again they are using the possibility that some are too stupid or lazy to fill the paperwork and will then lose their free coverage. Simple personal responsibility never enters the far lefts mind. And we are the ones who don’t care about our fellow citizens, lol. Easier for them to consider them helpless fools who would never make it without the government and compassionate liberals.

And just a rhetorical question. It appears that the vast majority of those who “may” lose benefits are white and probably Trump voters. If I agree they should get off their ass and follow the directions that I don’t see as too hard, what does that make me?
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
January 13th, 2018 at 8:24:03 AM permalink
Quote: Tanko

I noticed that the title of that video includes the word "liberal" yet none of those people specifically said they were liberals.

By default, though, these kinds of videos are stupid because how do we know that he didn't ask 100 people and 95 of them had no problem with voter ID laws and the 5 that do have a problem with it are the ones he put in the video?
darkoz
darkoz
January 13th, 2018 at 8:33:29 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5a591c2ee4b03c4189658d23?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Another great story of how far out of touch the HP and the fringe left is. Take something most agree on, making those on benefits that are healthy and able to work do just that.

Best line of the story....The now have to pay a part of their insurance, UP to $15.

Once again they are using the possibility that some are too stupid or lazy to fill the paperwork and will then lose their free coverage. Simple personal responsibility never enters the far lefts mind. And we are the ones who don’t care about our fellow citizens, lol. Easier for them to consider them helpless fools who would never make it without the government and compassionate liberals.

And just a rhetorical question. It appears that the vast majority of those who “may” lose benefits are white and probably Trump voters. If I agree they should get off their ass and follow the directions that I don’t see as too hard, what does that make me?

The problem with righties is they always have to alter or leave out facts to prove their point

Why did you state this article is about "benefits for able bodied people?" Because that suggests able bodied people getting welfare and food stamps and the entire gamut of "benefits"

Why didnt you say what the article was really about. Healthcare for the poor?

There is very little medicaid fraud from constituents. Mostly fraud is perpetrated by able bodied doctors and hospitals overcharging. Oh sure there is some fraud. A millionaire who claims they need coverage

By and large medical costs are so high low income people genuinely need coverage even with gainful employment

The righties have now adopted a totally uncaring all or nothing attitude. I refuse to help those who can help themselves so i refuse to help anyone even those who genuinely qualify for aid.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
January 13th, 2018 at 8:47:48 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

The problem with righties is they always have to alter or leave out facts to prove their point

Why did you state this article is about "benefits for able bodied people?" Because that suggests able bodied people getting welfare and food stamps and the entire gamut of "benefits"

Why didnt you say what the article was really about. Healthcare for the poor?

There is very little medicaid fraud from constituents. Mostly fraud is perpetrated by able bodied doctors and hospitals overcharging. Oh sure there is some fraud. A millionaire who claims they need coverage

By and large medical costs are so high low income people genuinely need coverage even with gainful employment

The righties have now adopted a totally uncaring all or nothing attitude. I refuse to help those who can help themselves so i refuse to help anyone even those who genuinely qualify for aid.

Since the left seems to say this a lot I’ll say it “Did you even read the story”?
No one, absolutely no one is losing their free HC. As long as they follow the directions and do the requirements. And pay a premium of UP to $15. What is the issue? I see you as defending them for being lazy or stupid period.

Not sure how you or anyone could see this as being a problem unless you see these people as lessor Americans incapable of following directions.

Guaranteed they will follow the directions to file their taxes early if they see a credit coming.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
Thanked by
gamerfreakbeachbumbabs
January 13th, 2018 at 9:47:21 AM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

Justifiable to whom? To you? To me? To Congress or some federal agency? You are smarter than the above opening premise...you know business doesn't work that way in the US and never will.

I don't know how it is justifiable in the same post that talks about personal responsibility. Where is the responsibility to the employees who enable the place to continue to operate? The only reason WM/SC would even have to worry about people starting at other jobs before the place has closed is because nothing about the employee treatment at those establishments is ever going to foster any kind of loyalty to begin with.

Businesses do sometimes work that way, particularly unionized ones. It's often a requirement that some degree of notice be given if the place is going to shutter. I think it might even be a state law in a few places, but I'm not 100% sure.

Quote:

Employees get laid off without notice every year...it's a tough break for them, I get that, but beyond feeling bad for them, what do you suggest? Govenrment mandatory notice and severance packages?

Mandatory notice. Severance packages would be nice, but I have to admit that such seems a little excessive for low-level employees. Besides, you have unemployment (if they can't find another job) the only problem being that process can take as much as a month before they actually draw a check.

If you're talking about completely closing a location, then yes, there needs to be mandatory notice. Thirty days would be nice, but I could live with fourteen. That way you can start applying for other jobs and/or getting your unemployment paperwork put together. How is it fair that WM had ample time to plan to close the place, but the employees get zero time to prepare for the fact that they will not make any money for a few weeks to a month?

Quote:

Screw that, go with Oz on this one...Walmart is costing the US taxpayer $62 Billion dollars, he has the link to prove it. Just shut them down and throw those 1.4M people out of a job...you're going to provide them proper notice, right?

What are you talking about? I'm only talking about giving some sort of notice before closing a location completely. I choose to almost never shop at WalMart, but I don't know what they've done to justify shutting them down completely.

Quote:

Maybe the loud complainers here should focus on something real that might actually affect the changes they believe are so desperately needed, you know like the game plan for picking up House and Senate Seats in 2018.

I'm not discussing the House/Senate, I was discussing whether workers should be given notice of a location closing.

Quote:

When I look at the current state of the Dems and the seats that are up for election, it doesn't look so good for them. I am betting minority status in both houses again supported by a backdrop of a booming economy, pay raises and increased federal tax receipts under the current GOP lead WH/House/Senate administration. I bet an infrastructure bill gets passed before November, that is gonna suck for America as well. What nightmare is Rachel going to be espousing on her 11/7/18 show at that point. We can't possible get a better night of Rachel this November than we got in November 2016...it just isn't possible.

I like Rachel Maddow. She interviewed Rick Santorum once and I was surprised by how kindly they spoke to one another. I've liked both of those people ever since, even though Maddow is way left of even me and I don't believe Santorum has ever said anything that I agree with. He knows his baseball, though.

I don't know anything about anything else that you said in that paragraph.

Quote:

AMS, walk us through your detailed plan of 2018 races and how the Dems are going to gain a majority in either House or Senate? That would be a constructive conversation, but it would require critical analysis which is in such short supply on this thread.

I'm not AMS, I'm Mission146.

Quote:

Rather I expect the Left to carry on bashing on great US Companies that employ millions of Americans for this or that. I mean Carville was an idiot..."it (clearly is not all about) the economy, stupid". Keep spending time on the horror of that Russian Investigation and the latest DJT Tweetstorm (everyone rational knows he is an idiot on Twitter)...it is a Hillary-like path to political victory and it worked so well last time, I would definitely re-boot it in 2018. Stay laser focused on those distractions and let's talk in November.

I never mentioned, nor do I care, about any of those things. I care about a corporation worth trillions and trillions of dollars can afford to give people making at or near minimum wage advance notice of a location closing. I fail to see how my position is unreasonable.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
January 13th, 2018 at 9:50:01 AM permalink

Guys the explanation is probably so much simpler

Most likely walmart notified the local authorities that 100 workers were going to be showing up to a closed store and it was decided to have an officer on site to avoid traffic issues as well as any possible disgruntled employees

It could also be that the guy was off-duty and WalMart was paying him to be there, though. In my experience, you can call and get something like that arranged if you think police presence will be necessary. That's when you sometimes see them at bars, they're usually off duty.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 13th, 2018 at 10:00:48 AM permalink

I am not sure I can answer that, but our government does already. I do not know what the minimum requirements are, but I must have had them when I got my first passport. And registered to vote the first time. I did not say it would be instantaneous. The fact that you with 60 year old documents successfully did it is a positive, not a negative.
boymimbo
boymimbo
Thanked by
gamerfreakbeachbumbabs
January 13th, 2018 at 10:59:24 AM permalink

So well said. Thank you.
All of what you said is true. Also true is that Trump is unable to control himself. No real filter. But, unfortunately, or fortunately?, so what! Lower taxes, higher wages, less illegal immigration, booming stock market, etc.... While the libs will say "Russia", pee tape, Mueller, Bannon, grab pussy, Orange skin, liar, fraud, the American people, or at least enough of them, will hear higher wages and lower taxes.

Not to grab onto your comment in particular, but you're fairly intelligent.

The President is supposed to be a representative of the country, the face of the nation. When the world looks to America they are not looking at George Clooney, Tom Hanks, or Jennifer Lawrence. They are not looking at Nancy Pelosi, Check Schumer, Mitch McConnell, or Kevin McCarthy. They look at Donald Trump.

Clearly, some people feel that he is the appropriate leader of this country, given his views that people vehemently defend on this forum and elsewhere on the interwebs.

The people who are unaffected by his policies may see lower taxes. I opened my pay stub, the first of the year, and I received 0.03% more on my paycheck. Maybe I'll save more on my tax return; I don't know. Some companies are taking the tax break and rewarding employees. Excellent. Most are rewarding their stockholders. For you, Soopoo, an anesthesiologist, of course you are seeing more money. If you are incorporated and paying the full 35%, then you are saving 42% of your tax bill. If you are not incorporated, then you are seeing a lower tax rate on your income. As a small-business owner, did you take that savings and pay your team more?

- Meanwhile, do you feel safer with the war of words and actual actions on North Korea? Hawaii was just issued a incoming missile threat sending all of its people into a tizzy (it was a mistake). But for those residents, do you feel that Trump's words and actions on North Korea is making your feel safer?
-If you are a low income (or middle-income American paying directly into a health care plan), do you feel safe knowing that possibly your elected representation is trying to rid of it altogether?
- If you are an immigrant who is here legally on a program, are you afraid that Trump may sign an XO any day to rid of you within six months, and you hold on to a prayer that some liberal judge might take pity on your plight temporarily (DACA, residents of Haiti, El Salvador, people here on H1-Bs, L1s, TNs)
- If you read his Twitter feed and listen to what he says, do you feel actually proud that he is your president?
- Do you feel betrayed in the slightest that he is asking for $19 billion to build a wall and that Mexico is not paying for it?

You can't just write off and say that what he says or does doesn't matter. It does.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
January 13th, 2018 at 11:02:26 AM permalink

I am not sure I can answer that, but our government does already. I do not know what the minimum requirements are, but I must have had them when I got my first passport. And registered to vote the first time. I did not say it would be instantaneous. The fact that you with 60 year old documents successfully did it is a positive, not a negative.

It is a positive that they allowed me to vote.
I went through this about 20 years ago when I needed a replacement social Security replacement card
I showed my documents proving I am a citizen.
They were quite impressed with my documents. They had no doubt I was a citizen. They told me these were important documents and to keep them in a safe place.
So when I got the notice to renew my lisc and the documents required, I was relaxed. I got this covered. I have my original birth certificate. The English translation attached to the birth certificate. The "child born abroad to US parent" original state dept document long form embossed and signed. An actual certificate from the state dept declaring me a US citizen.
Instead of impressed, the clerk was suspicious which really surprised me.
After arguing and waiting. I got renewed and wont have to go through this again. Florida only requires me to prove it once. Next renewal, I am not required to prove I am a US citizen.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
boymimbo
boymimbo
January 13th, 2018 at 11:09:15 AM permalink
Quote: RS

No, I don't.
Do you realize it takes money to have a welfare system in place?

American already have several welfare systems in place. Federally, there is FICA, Social Security and Employment Insurance, of which 10% of my paycheck goes. We have welfare systems at the state level through a number of departments that take tax money and distribute it to the disadvantaged. We have welfare programs at the local level such as transit authority who subsidize public transit.

All Western Countries have different welfare systems that give its citizens different benefits. In some countries stricken by war, residents leave to seek a certain like. My Ukranian grandparents came over to Canada as a result of an unstable Russia and Canada gave them land in Alberta and they grew a farm. Each nationality, over history, experienced forms of hardship and relocated to better places.

The reason America doesn't see immigrants from non s**thole countries (and I will continue to asterisk it, as it is a curse, despite it having a second syllable attached to it) is because they are perfectly fine and better off where they are. And that will always be the case. if America was a shining star above all of the other countries, then people would come flocking to the United States to seek a better life. It isn't. It is in the middle of the pack. Alot of things could be better.

The point people are making is that it is inappropriate for ANY president to say that a set of countries is a "shithole". It's also inappropriate to say that he has a nuclear button that is bigger and works. Most of the things he tweets on Twitter is inappropriate.
boymimbo
boymimbo
January 13th, 2018 at 11:10:08 AM permalink

Guys the explanation is probably so much simpler

Most likely walmart notified the local authorities that 100 workers were going to be showing up to a closed store and it was decided to have an officer on site to avoid traffic issues as well as any possible disgruntled employees

You can hire uniformed police officers for events.
boymimbo
boymimbo
January 13th, 2018 at 11:15:30 AM permalink
Quote: Tanko

Even if they can't find work, it's still better here than in their s@#t hole countries.
Honduras has a population of 948,000.
One-third of that population, 343,000, are living unauthorized in the U.S. Wikipedia

You missed a zero. Honduras' population is 9.1 million. The article was referring to the 948,000 estimated people of Honduran descent (either citizens or immigrants or illegals) living in the United States.
boymimbo
boymimbo
January 13th, 2018 at 11:23:54 AM permalink

When my company hired me at its US business unit last May, I had to go into my office and show someone in HR my current immigrant VISA, my Canadian passport, and provide them an SSN (I don't have my paper copy). They then had to login to a US government web site and enter that information and received a confirmation that I was eligible to work. I assume that all employers must do this.

I am not a citizen, but I am legally entitled to work in the United States. Millions of Americans fall into same boat. Citizenship <> Work Visa.

When I tried to get my CA driver's license they set my expiry date to my immigration exit date on my current visa.

There are plenty of checks and balances to ensure that employers aren't hiring illegals. The problem is that employers aren't doing this and there isn't enough enforcement in place to discover those, but these are stepping up, especially if you work at 7-11.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
January 13th, 2018 at 11:40:55 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

When my company hired me at its US business unit last May, I had to go into my office and show someone in HR my current immigrant VISA, my Canadian passport, and provide them an SSN (I don't have my paper copy). They then had to login to a US government web site and enter that information and received a confirmation that I was eligible to work. I assume that all employers must do this.

I am not a citizen, but I am legally entitled to work in the United States. Millions of Americans fall into same boat. Citizenship <> Work Visa.

When I tried to get my CA driver's license they set my expiry date to my immigration exit date on my current visa.

There are plenty of checks and balances to ensure that employers aren't hiring illegals. The problem is that employers aren't doing this and there isn't enough enforcement in place to discover those, but these are stepping up, especially if you work at 7-11.

Have you ever thought a about getting dual citizenship?
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
darkoz
darkoz
January 13th, 2018 at 12:41:28 PM permalink

You can hire uniformed police officers for events.

Thats true and its possible walmart hired the officer but something tells me that wasnt the case

Anyway imo closing a store does not qualify as an "event" lol
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
January 13th, 2018 at 12:54:17 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I'm not AMS, I'm Mission146.

The question on mid term election strategy was directed to AMS...he has a plan there I am sure. I know who you are Mission ;P

I never mentioned, nor do I care, about any of those things. I care about a corporation worth trillions and trillions of dollars can afford to give people making at or near minimum wage advance notice of a location closing. I fail to see how my position is unreasonable.

I agree your position is reasonable to you...it is just not reality. You're entitled to your position, just not entitled to force Walmart to adopt it. Walmart has chosen not to adopt your position...and they are allowed to do that. End of story.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
January 13th, 2018 at 2:16:19 PM permalink

Thats true and its possible walmart hired the officer but something tells me that wasnt the case

Anyway imo closing a store does not qualify as an "event" lol

It's pretty ironic that the only person with a job that day was the cop employed to run off the employees.

If anyone ever needed proof about WMT not being there for their employees, that (no-notice termination) should do it.

Lots of anti-union activity by WMT US the past 30 years, btw. Illicit surveillance in break areas and parking lots SPECIFICALLY installed to watch and listen for union organizing activity (old news, btw), hundreds of terminations for trying to organize, years of unpaid extra duty without representation, flaunting overtime laws and state employee rights through disregard and intimidation, as well as the infamous closing the butcher dept rather than allow union employees in the store.

Zero surprise they expect no loyalty, if that's the case. They engender none. My ex-sil has worked for them 20 years now, runs the pet dept. She likes them, but they ask almost nothing of her beyond showing up, and that's fine.
Mission146
Mission146
January 13th, 2018 at 2:51:32 PM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

I agree your position is reasonable to you...it is just not reality. You're entitled to your position, just not entitled to force Walmart to adopt it. Walmart has chosen not to adopt your position...and they are allowed to do that. End of story.

What are you talking about? I never suggested that they're not allowed to do it in some states. They have done it, so they must be allowed to.

I also agree it's not always reality, but is it not realistic? I hate to ask an ad hominem question, but do you personally believe that is an acceptable way for a corporation that is worth trillions to treat employees whose families are likely either at or flirting with poverty-level, for the most part?

They certainly don't care, but I'm sure that's why they are known colloquially as the, "Evil Empire." It's why the only thing I do there is money transfers, or I'll shop there if someone (for whatever reason) buys me a gift card as a present. I get that as a practical gift for my birthday or Christmas, while simultaneously a gag gift, because it's no secret how much I hate Walmart.

If we must get political about it, I think it's fair to point out that corporations such as WalMart and events such as closing stores with no notice given to employees...not even so much as a courtesy call not to come into work that day, apparently, is why you have people who skew left on Economic politics. If you didn't have corporations and, sometimes, individual people who treat employees that way, then you might not have Socialists.

Just think about it: How much of a waste of gas money is it for someone to drive to work when they have no job anymore? It's beyond ridiculous.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
Thanked by
petroglyph
January 13th, 2018 at 3:01:56 PM permalink

Just think about it: How much of a waste of gas money is it for someone to drive to work when they have no job anymore? It's beyond ridiculous.

Gas money, pah. Think of the child(care).
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 13th, 2018 at 3:05:35 PM permalink

Not to grab onto your comment in particular, but you're fairly intelligent.

The President is supposed to be a representative of the country, the face of the nation. When the world looks to America they are not looking at George Clooney, Tom Hanks, or Jennifer Lawrence. They are not looking at Nancy Pelosi, Check Schumer, Mitch McConnell, or Kevin McCarthy. They look at Donald Trump.

Clearly, some people feel that he is the appropriate leader of this country, given his views that people vehemently defend on this forum and elsewhere on the interwebs.

The people who are unaffected by his policies may see lower taxes. I opened my pay stub, the first of the year, and I received 0.03% more on my paycheck. Maybe I'll save more on my tax return; I don't know. Some companies are taking the tax break and rewarding employees. Excellent. Most are rewarding their stockholders. For you, Soopoo, an anesthesiologist, of course you are seeing more money. If you are incorporated and paying the full 35%, then you are saving 42% of your tax bill. If you are not incorporated, then you are seeing a lower tax rate on your income. As a small-business owner, did you take that savings and pay your team more?

- Meanwhile, do you feel safer with the war of words and actual actions on North Korea? Hawaii was just issued a incoming missile threat sending all of its people into a tizzy (it was a mistake). But for those residents, do you feel that Trump's words and actions on North Korea is making your feel safer?
-If you are a low income (or middle-income American paying directly into a health care plan), do you feel safe knowing that possibly your elected representation is trying to rid of it altogether?

- If you are an immigrant who is here legally on a program, are you afraid that Trump may sign an XO any day to rid of you within six months, and you hold on to a prayer that some liberal judge might take pity on your plight temporarily (DACA, residents of Haiti, El Salvador, people here on H1-Bs, L1s, TNs)
- If you read his Twitter feed and listen to what he says, do you feel actually proud that he is your president?
- Do you feel betrayed in the slightest that he is asking for $19 billion to build a wall and that Mexico is not paying for it?

You can't just write off and say that what he says or does doesn't matter. It does.

My taxes are going up a lot. There was actually a Yahoo news article that said the tax bill is worst for an anesthesiologist in a high tax state. That's me. And basically I'm a county employee so no way to 'hide' income that others may be able to do.
I am embarrassed that DJT is our president, for many of the reasons you state. I am not sure in the long run we are less safe with a Presidentcwho actually calls out NK, versus a President who would just pay empty lip service. I don't care at all about 'the wall'. If we put resources into drones or agents instead of a wall I'm good with that. As far as the Mexicans paying for it, that was a blowhard comment that I never even considered as a possibility.
I don't like DJT. I am not happy he is our President. But I steadfastly believe that the country, its border safety, its economy, is in better shape than if HRC was President.
To remind all, I voted for myself, as I firmly believe I was a better choice than DJT or HRC.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
January 13th, 2018 at 3:11:05 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Gas money, pah. Think of the child(care).

The hardest part to take is, they HAVE to know a large number of their employees make so little they're on food stamps. Most of the rest are likely paycheck-to-paycheck with no reserves.

Some "club" I bet a lot of them aren't eating this week.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
January 13th, 2018 at 3:17:00 PM permalink

But I steadfastly believe that the country, its border safety, its economy, is in better shape than if HRC was President.

What could she have done? She'd be fighting against a Republican controlled House and Senate. It would just be four years of obstructionism.
Mission146
Mission146
January 13th, 2018 at 3:37:43 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

The hardest part to take is, they HAVE to know a large number of their employees make so little they're on food stamps. Most of the rest are likely paycheck-to-paycheck with no reserves.

Some "club" I bet a lot of them aren't eating this week.

How to apply for food stamps is discussed in the training at the distribution center. They basically tell you what you qualify for based on your position and number of family members. I don't think anyone outside of management in the stores is paid what the DC people make. They bust your butt every minute you're on the clock, taking a leak even counts against your percentage, but it pays well.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 13th, 2018 at 3:38:33 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

What could she have done? She'd be fighting against a Republican controlled House and Senate. It would just be four years of obstructionism.

Clearly the combination of pro business executive orders and pro business tax plan has been, well, pro business!
But as a concept I agree with you. I want the President to have at least one house of Congress to be of the opposite party. Luckily Trump is not really a Republican so he isn't getting a rubber stamp from 'his own' party. See repeal of Obamacare for the most glaring example.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
rsactuary
January 13th, 2018 at 3:42:53 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I guess we don't have thought police yet, so I can't object to SOOPOO's beliefs. But I believe just as strongly we would continue to see bull market in some.form. We would also have solid relations with the rest of the world, be part of Paris Accord and solid in NATO, and have competent cabinet and advisors running things.

Trump famously takes credit for things he didn't do and disparages anyone else's accomplishments. He doesn't even know his own policy stances. It's ridiculous for him to take credit for jobs rates, stock market gains, or the fatality-free year commercial aviation had.

If anything, stocks would be higher if he didn't add instability with his insane tweets. Which Hillary would not have done. I have to think it's at least a wash.
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
January 13th, 2018 at 6:25:44 PM permalink
Quote: Steverinos

And I have to say, it's serously cracking me up that you are bleeping out shithole. If our president can use the word, so can we.

Good news, according to Trump himself, he didn't say it! A couple of Republicans in the meeting can't seem to recall him saying it either.

Do you think anyone believes them?
boymimbo
boymimbo
January 14th, 2018 at 10:42:53 AM permalink

My taxes are going up a lot. There was actually a Yahoo news article that said the tax bill is worst for an anesthesiologist in a high tax state. That's me. And basically I'm a county employee so no way to 'hide' income that others may be able to do.
I am embarrassed that DJT is our president, for many of the reasons you state. I am not sure in the long run we are less safe with a Presidentcwho actually calls out NK, versus a President who would just pay empty lip service. I don't care at all about 'the wall'. If we put resources into drones or agents instead of a wall I'm good with that. As far as the Mexicans paying for it, that was a blowhard comment that I never even considered as a possibility.
I don't like DJT. I am not happy he is our President. But I steadfastly believe that the country, its border safety, its economy, is in better shape than if HRC was President.
To remind all, I voted for myself, as I firmly believe I was a better choice than DJT or HRC.

That is a reasonable response with good ambiguity and self-doubt. A thinker.

We will see what happens ultimately with Korea and whether Trump's strategy will work. Given their acceleration into a nuclear program, I don't think it is working well at all.

As for the $21 billion that Trump asks for the wall, wouldn't that money be better served by securing the voting system? 19 billion is probably enough money to secure correct and free voter cards for all, clean up the voter rolls, and fix "problems" with the voting process.

The advantage that Trump has as being President is a congress and senate that is also GOP and support him. HRC might have meant four more years of gridlock where very little was achieved. At least with Trump in control, there is a good chance that the 2018 election could swing either Congress or Senate to the Democrats (but not likely).

I don't think the border is any safer nor do I think the economy is in any better shape but only time will tell. Now that Trump has passed something concrete (the tax plan) we shall see where the economy goes.
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 14th, 2018 at 10:50:43 AM permalink

bar code
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
January 14th, 2018 at 1:51:07 PM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

bar code

: )

On the right hand, or forehead?
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
January 14th, 2018 at 2:11:40 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

: )

On the right hand, or forehead?

♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 14th, 2018 at 2:37:40 PM permalink

As is often the case the presidents who
are the most effective, they are often the
least liked. Look at Obama and Carter.
They were pretty well liked as people
and both were horrible at their jobs.
Ass kissers, appeasers, afraid of their
own shadows. Both had dumbo 'couldn't
get out of their own way' presidencies.

I'll take a Trump any day overs bozo's
like Carter and Obama. And She/Her/It
would have been beyond awful, she had
no platform, no ideas except 8 more years
of Obama.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
darkoz
darkoz
January 14th, 2018 at 3:17:43 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

As is often the case the presidents who
are the most effective, they are often the
least liked. Look at Obama and Carter.
They were pretty well liked as people
and both were horrible at their jobs.
Ass kissers, appeasers, afraid of their
own shadows. Both had dumbo 'couldn't
get out of their own way' presidencies.

I'll take a Trump any day overs bozo's
like Carter and Obama. And She/Her/It
would have been beyond awful, she had
no platform, no ideas except 8 more years
of Obama.

Absolutely correct

No one liked george washington or abe Lincoln or FDR or Kennedy
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 14th, 2018 at 5:30:35 PM permalink

Absolutely correct No one liked george washington or abe Lincoln or FDR or Kennedy

I don't think so. FDR and Kennedy
were very well liked and both had
stinko presidencies. FDR got us
thru WWII, but his social welfare
programs only made the Depression
worse. WWII got us out, not FDR.
And some historians say Kennedy
was the worst president of the 20th
century.

Lincoln might be the most hated president
we've had, when he was in office. Many
thought he was a fool. It wasn't till after
he was gone and the war ended that
he came to be appreciated.

Abraham Lincoln Was Actually Hated When President

http://knowledgenuts.com/2014/01/02/abraham-lincoln-was-actually-hated-when-president/
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 14th, 2018 at 5:55:58 PM permalink
And Trump admires Lincoln because Lincoln was President when Americans were killing each other in a civil war. Something he has yet to achieve.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
January 14th, 2018 at 6:11:31 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I don't think so. FDR and Kennedy
were very well liked and both had
stinko presidencies. FDR got us
thru WWII, but his social welfare
programs only made the Depression
worse. WWII got us out, not FDR.
And some historians say Kennedy
was the worst president of the 20th
century.

Lincoln might be the most hated president
we've had, when he was in office. Many
thought he was a fool. It wasn't till after
he was gone and the war ended that
he came to be appreciated.

Abraham Lincoln Was Actually Hated When President

http://knowledgenuts.com/2014/01/02/abraham-lincoln-was-actually-hated-when-president/

Are you sure? It's not like he was shot in the head, or anything.
100% risk of ruin
  • Jump to: