Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
June 18th, 2023 at 11:43:00 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: lilredrooster

The university library two towns over would let almost anyone in to look through the stacks and read in the library, but only university students and paid library members had check-out privileges for the good stuff.)

I believe libraries - much more so public libraries then university libraries - are very people friendly places

librarians where I live will help people with all sorts of things other than just finding books

they're so different than the typical Government run organizations

link to original post

By unrelated circumstance, librarians are among my favored professionals to party with.
link to original post

I have a secondary degree in library science because I wanted to be a librarian. My primary degree is in American history but neither of those jobs of history teacher or librarian paid with a crap in the early 1970s so I never went into either one of them. I loved libraries when I was a kid and wished I lived in the library. In my bedroom I have three walls of books floor to ceiling and I've read all of them. I wish I had the books I got rid of years ago, I had a huge science fiction collection which I got rid of when I moved to California. Really stupid.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
Thanked by
gordonm888
June 18th, 2023 at 12:35:56 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

The university library two towns over would let almost anyone in to look through the stacks and read in the library, but only university students and paid library members had check-out privileges for the good stuff.)

I believe libraries - much more so public libraries then university libraries - are very people friendly places

librarians where I live will help people with all sorts of things other than just finding books

link to original post

By unrelated circumstance, librarians are among my favored professionals to party with.
link to original post

I have a secondary degree in library science because I wanted to be a librarian. My primary degree is in American history but neither of those jobs of history teacher or librarian paid with a crap in the early 1970s so I never went into either one of them. I loved libraries when I was a kid and wished I lived in the library. In my bedroom I have three walls of books floor to ceiling and I've read all of them. I wish I had the books I got rid of years ago, I had a huge science fiction collection which I got rid of when I moved to California. Really stupid.
link to original post

I downsized a lot of my books two moves ago.
This gives me the opportunity to re-evaluate and replace those volumes I find to be most useful.

In my limited experience:
The parties with engineers tend to have moderate drinking and amusing contests of backyard skill.
The parties with mathematicians tend to have moderate drinking and board games. (Better snacks than the engineers.)
The parties with lawyers and salespeople tend to have heavy drinking and very good food, but are more conversation focused.

The parties with librarians have all focused on drinking to excess and lewd dancing.

(Your mileage may vary. Past performance does not assure future results. All parties carry a degree of risk, including mopping up strange fluids from various surfaces.)
May the cards fall in your favor.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
June 18th, 2023 at 2:20:07 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

This gives me the opportunity to re-evaluate and replace those volumes I find to be most useful.

The parties with engineers tend to have moderate drinking and amusing contests of backyard skill.
The parties with mathematicians tend to have moderate drinking and board games. (Better snacks than the engineers.)
The parties with lawyers and salespeople tend to have heavy drinking and very good food, but are more conversation focused.

The parties with librarians have all focused on drinking to excess and lewd dancing.

(Your mileage may vary. Past performance does not assure future results. All parties carry a degree of risk, including mopping up strange fluids from various surfaces.)
link to original post

Dated a librarian for a short bit. Well, she got her degree while we were dating but it was never going to happen for her as she was not going to relocate for work, which in that business you gotta be flexible that way. Right after we broke up I met another but she absolutely wanted kids so that was nogo. I used to claim to the one I dated what a scam the Dewey Decimal System was but she could not see why.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 18th, 2023 at 3:11:28 PM permalink
I was a librarian in college through a work / study program: always loved dem books.

Like EB I read a lot of sci-fi and majored in history; I minored in English.

It is true that, standing alone, a degree in history is about as useful in the job market as fecal matter on a plow handle.

I doubled down and went to law school: no regrets really, except it took longer than I would have liked to start making enough money to buy a home etc.: I had to work as an associate, learn the ropes, and it took awhile to get traction.
"What, me worry?"
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
June 18th, 2023 at 4:39:51 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Remember when 10 pages a minute from pi’s your printer was blazing fast? And how slow dot-matrix printers were?

I print out 100 pages or more a day at work and often when I see them just spitting out remember how slow things used to be. In college we heard about "super printers" that printed a page in a second or two and it was not imaginable if you were watching the dot matrix head going back and forth. Heck, when I saw the first bi-directional dot matrix job we thought it might not get any better than that.
link to original post

Honestly I can’t remember the last time I printed something. I’d guess 2015
It’s all about making that GTA
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 18th, 2023 at 4:43:29 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Remember when 10 pages a minute from pi’s your printer was blazing fast? And how slow dot-matrix printers were?

I print out 100 pages or more a day at work and often when I see them just spitting out remember how slow things used to be. In college we heard about "super printers" that printed a page in a second or two and it was not imaginable if you were watching the dot matrix head going back and forth. Heck, when I saw the first bi-directional dot matrix job we thought it might not get any better than that.
link to original post

link to original post

You never have to do any kind of paperwork at all?
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
June 18th, 2023 at 5:16:57 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I haven't printed anything for work in years. The few times a year is when I am going to travel, I like to have a copy of all my reservations printed out in case I lose internet.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
June 18th, 2023 at 5:53:45 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Like what? Can you give me a few “paperwork” examples of things you can’t do online / on iPhone?
Last edited by: Ace2 on Jun 18, 2023
It’s all about making that GTA
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 18th, 2023 at 6:45:00 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I have not owned a printer since 2010 and would not know what to print if I had one. All I used it for was printing eBay addresses for mailing stuff
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 18th, 2023 at 6:46:17 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I haven't printed anything for work in years. The few times a year is when I am going to travel, I like to have a copy of all my reservations printed out in case I lose internet.
link to original post

My wife has a printer uses it all the time God knows for what. I don't want to know so I don't ask
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 18th, 2023 at 6:49:27 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Dated a librarian for a short bit. Well, she got her degree while we were dating but it was never going to happen for her as she was not going to relocate for work, which in that business you gotta be flexible that way. Right after we broke up I met another but she absolutely wanted kids so that was nogo. I used to claim to the one I dated what a scam the Dewey Decimal System was but she could not see why.
link to original post

I knew a guy that had a librarian degree in 1972 and the only place he could find a job was in West Virginia they paid about $4,500 a year. He ended up going into the drywall business for the rest of his life a much more lucrative profession. He learned to speak Spanish like a native if you get my drift.. They always come to work are never late and work their asses off all day long. They just have paperwork problems.. Like they don't have any..
MrV
MrV
June 18th, 2023 at 8:07:09 PM permalink
I started practicing law in 1980; at that time the office had no word processing equipment.

My poor secretary.

As a newbie I was fumbling around, learning the ropes, and often made changes.

It never did occur to me that each change meant a massive amount of work for her, as she only used an IBM Selectric typewriter.

Oops.
"What, me worry?"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 19th, 2023 at 2:47:59 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Like what? Can you give me a few “paperwork” examples of things you can’t do online / on iPhone?
link to original post

For starters I print about 100 pages a day at work. Personally when I prep a lease it needs to be on paper. It is good practice to print out certain docs you sign online.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
Dieter
June 19th, 2023 at 2:51:20 AM permalink

I knew a guy that had a librarian degree in 1972 and the only place he could find a job was in West Virginia they paid about $4,500 a year. He ended up going into the drywall business for the rest of his life a much more lucrative profession. He learned to speak Spanish like a native if you get my drift.. They always come to work are never late and work their asses off all day long. They just have paperwork problems.. Like they don't have any..
link to original post

Its one of those jobs that looks cool and you work in a comfortable place. So lots more people take the degree than there is demand for it. Then for years you live on the edge worrying about funding. You might end up in some sort of recordkeeping job like the recorder of deeds or real estate department of a company.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 19th, 2023 at 3:47:55 AM permalink

link to original post

Its one of those jobs that looks cool and you work in a comfortable place. So lots more people take the degree than there is demand for it. Then for years you live on the edge worrying about funding. You might end up in some sort of recordkeeping job like the recorder of deeds or real estate department of a company.
link to original post

Agreed - many of the people I've known with Library Science degrees ended up working in State Government or insurance companies, rather than what most people consider a library.

It's not hard to see why. My neighborhood library has an open position requiring a master's degree in library stuff, with a pay package of around $50k/year.
MrV
MrV
June 19th, 2023 at 10:31:40 AM permalink
With the advent of the internet, are libraries being left in the lurch?
"What, me worry?"
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
June 19th, 2023 at 10:48:46 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

link to original post

It wouldn’t surprise me if more branches have closed or consolidated. You can download e-books from your public library.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 19th, 2023 at 10:51:14 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

link to original post

I've heard of a shift towards being a public computer lab.
I couldn't convince the 5 year old to go to storytime at the library this morning. (Not sure if this is her fickle prerogative, or she just wasn't feeling peopley today. It happens.)

I use the library apps (kanopy, hoopla, libby, etc) extensively for audiobooks and movies.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 19th, 2023 at 1:32:32 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Agreed - many of the people I've known with Library Science degrees ended up working in State Government or insurance companies, rather than what most people consider a library.

It's not hard to see why. My neighborhood library has an open position requiring a master's degree in library stuff, with a pay package of around $50k/year.
link to original post

Its one of those crazy degrees that is never going to pay off financially. This kind of thing is why I do not shed tears when I keep hearing about colleges closing. We simp;y put out too many people with this kind of degree. The aforesaid former GF of mine was volunteering for years at a local library, hoping to get put on. Something happened and she never went back, just telling me "it wasn't pretty." Was I ever glad she was her father's problem and not mine.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
June 19th, 2023 at 2:02:14 PM permalink
Years ago, probably decades ago, one could probably advertise new library jobs cropping up as new libraries were still being built. But that probably hasn't been true for a long time.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 19th, 2023 at 4:37:57 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Years ago, probably decades ago, one could probably advertise new library jobs cropping up as new libraries were still being built. But that probably hasn't been true for a long time.
link to original post

There was probably a postwar golden age. The problem for some, including the girl I dated, was and is relocation. She could barely run her own life. But lots of people do not want to relocate. People who get the library job keep it forever. A courthouse I worked the woman was there forever and thought of it as half a library job. She sat a desk and helped people with deeds. Unless it was 100 year old stuff, then she asked us to help them.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 19th, 2023 at 5:53:52 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Its one of those crazy degrees that is never going to pay off financially. This kind of thing is why I do not shed tears when I keep hearing about colleges closing. We simp;y put out too many people with this kind of degree. The aforesaid former GF of mine was volunteering for years at a local library, hoping to get put on. Something happened and she never went back, just telling me "it wasn't pretty." Was I ever glad she was her father's problem and not mine.
link to original post

I know somebody who did that for years, volunteered at the library and tried to get a job but from my experience once a person is in there they never leave till they die or retire. I saw the same two women in my public library for 30 years.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 19th, 2023 at 6:00:24 PM permalink

link to original post

During the boomer years after the war when we saw expansion to the suburbs a lot of new libraries were built but that was decades and decades ago. My wife goes to her Library three or four times a month and she says it's either senior citizens like her taking out books or younger people using the computers. Nobody in between.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
Hunterhill
June 19th, 2023 at 7:12:56 PM permalink
must not be any bums where you live.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 20th, 2023 at 1:25:02 PM permalink

link to original post

During the boomer years after the war when we saw expansion to the suburbs a lot of new libraries were built but that was decades and decades ago. My wife goes to her Library three or four times a month and she says it's either senior citizens like her taking out books or younger people using the computers. Nobody in between.
link to original post

Sounds like she goes in the middle of the day when "in between" is at some sort of job .
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 20th, 2023 at 1:28:31 PM permalink
Speaking of libraries, remember when Barnes and Noble was a place to go and relax? They had all those nice chairs in the mid to late 1990s, you might go and browse to get out of the house.

Then, they slowly started removing the chairs. It was slow and sly, but by the mid-2000s they had moved on from being a hangout. Smart from a business standpoint I suppose. I know I killed much time there in the cold of upstate NY in a town with little else to do.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
June 20th, 2023 at 1:54:28 PM permalink

Speaking of libraries, remember when Barnes and Noble was a place to go and relax? They had all those nice chairs in the mid to late 1990s, you might go and browse to get out of the house.

Then, they slowly started removing the chairs. It was slow and sly, but by the mid-2000s they had moved on from being a hangout. Smart from a business standpoint I suppose. I know I killed much time there in the cold of upstate NY in a town with little else to do.
link to original post

Little else to do? Theatre. Orchestra. Hockey. Football. Ice skating. Bowling. Skiing. Restaurants. Casinos. The Y. Heck, even strip clubs. What more do you need to ‘do’?

Agree on B and N. We would drop older son in a spot on the floor when he was a toddler and he’d read a few books while wifey perused. I think we bought enough to make it worth their while. But I’d guess most didn’t.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 20th, 2023 at 4:40:37 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Little else to do? Theatre. Orchestra. Hockey. Football. Ice skating. Bowling. Skiing. Restaurants. Casinos. The Y. Heck, even strip clubs. What more do you need to ‘do’?

Was working 6 days a week and knew nobody. And all I can say for "things to do" have you spent much time in Albany? Oh, yeah, I was half broke even with a management job.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 20th, 2023 at 5:39:47 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Sounds like she goes in the middle of the day when "in between" is at some sort of job .
link to original post

I don't know about your neighborhoods, but mine are somewhat lacking in all-night public libraries.
(Most seem to keep something like "banker's hours".)
billryan
billryan
June 20th, 2023 at 5:48:10 PM permalink
Most schools and churches in rural Arizona have a bookshelf outside for people to exchange books.
The Bisbee Library is award-winning and is an exciting mix of old-time library features, with a futuristic annex.
They also had a children's annex but I've never been to it.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
June 20th, 2023 at 5:49:09 PM permalink
Most schools and churches in rural Arizona have a bookshelf outside for people to exchange books.
The Bisbee Library is award-winning and is an exciting mix of old-time library features, with a futuristic annex.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 20th, 2023 at 6:18:12 PM permalink
Is that outside bookshelf a "Little Free Library"?
billryan
billryan
June 20th, 2023 at 6:49:24 PM permalink
They might be. Some look like the models I've seen, but I have not paid much attention.
I'm aware of the bookshelves but don't patronize them.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 21st, 2023 at 3:56:33 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I don't know about your neighborhoods, but mine are somewhat lacking in all-night public libraries.
(Most seem to keep something like "banker's hours".)
link to original post

Ours had an evening a week it was open later, until maybe 7 or 8. The local community college had longer hours like that several evenings a week.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
June 21st, 2023 at 10:10:40 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

The Bisbee Library is award-winning? Who gives these awards? Is this one of those things where a large fraction of the libraries they look at get an award? So, it worth a little bit of a fee for the libraries to participate?
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
June 21st, 2023 at 10:17:00 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

link to original post

The Bisbee Library is award-winning? Who gives these awards? Is this one of those things where a large fraction of the libraries they look at get an award? So, it worth a little bit of a fee for the libraries to participate?
link to original post

Library Journal named the Bisbee Library as the Best Small Town Library in America a year or two after I moved here.
It was also one of 15 Libraries honored as a Finalist in last years National Gold Medal search for Best Library in America.
Perhaps they just have good publicity.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 21st, 2023 at 11:37:14 AM permalink

link to original post

Before the internet I would always keep a list of things I wanted to look up at the library and at Barnes & Noble. I would spend a couple hours in one of those chairs every month with a stack of books. For me the internet and a smartphone are like magic. If I want to know something no matter what I'm doing I haul out my phone and ask Google and it tells me. I do this all day long everyday because I'm curious about everything. I can't remember how I ever lived without it. This got to be speeding up our evolutionary curve as far as intellectual advancement goes. Getting instant answers to every question you could possibly ask has got to be a game changer.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 21st, 2023 at 11:38:01 AM permalink
https://www.libraryjournal.com/story/Thriving-Together-Best-Small-Library-in-America-2019

Congratulations indeed!

Photos show a nicely arranged library - attractive and effective.

(They don't seem to want to let me into the online card catalog to find things to complain about, and I didn't see if they loan out specialty cake pans.)
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
Hunterhill
June 21st, 2023 at 11:40:34 AM permalink

link to original post

This got to be speeding up our evolutionary curve as far as intellectual advancement goes.

link to original post

So long as you don’t ask anyone under 30 to do arithmetic without a calculator or use a physical map or compass.
billryan
billryan
June 21st, 2023 at 11:55:28 AM permalink

https://www.libraryjournal.com/story/Thriving-Together-Best-Small-Library-in-America-2019

Congratulations indeed!

(They don't seem to want to let me into the online card catalog to find things to complain about, and I didn't see if they loan out specialty cake pans.)
link to original post

Just another example of the magic that is Bisbee
I was in a bar in Holbrook, three hundred miles from Bisbee, when the barmaid asked me why I'd moved to Bisbee? Before I could answer, she told me her friends had gone there for a weekend and felt compelled to move there.
We are all here because we are not all there.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 21st, 2023 at 12:00:37 PM permalink

Congratulations indeed!

link to original post

Just another example of the magic that is Bisbee
I was in a bar in Holbrook, three hundred miles from Bisbee, when the barmaid asked me why I'd moved to Bisbee? Before I could answer, she told me her friends had gone there for a weekend and felt compelled to move there.
We are all here because we are not all there.
link to original post

As much as I hate everything, there's good stuff and bad stuff everywhere.
Finding the mix of good stuff you like and bad stuff you can deal with seems to be a path to happiness.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 21st, 2023 at 12:01:23 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

link to original post

This got to be speeding up our evolutionary curve as far as intellectual advancement goes.

link to original post

So long as you don’t ask anyone under 30 to do arithmetic without a calculator or use a physical map or compass.
link to original post

Funny dat. At the casino parties when I do poker I try to teach some of the poker math. Once at a local tech school now calls itself a college I tried to explain it. Two girls could not do something like 46/2 between them. They could not even figure how to start! Remember, that is 3-4th grade stuff. 5th at most!

At another college, a good college, I tried again. I forget if it was one or two girls this time. Teaching the math same way. She said she could do it but added "we will never be as fast as your generation at that!"

All this info is good for some people. Others will remain as stupid as ever. I saw in 1992 on GOPHER how this would change the world. Raise your hand if you remember GOPHER.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 21st, 2023 at 12:08:32 PM permalink

Raise your hand if you remember GOPHER.
link to original post

(nervously raises hand)

I hear they still use it in Minnesota.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
June 23rd, 2023 at 7:58:25 AM permalink

Found one of them there outdoor library/free book stations in San Juan.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 23rd, 2023 at 8:10:15 AM permalink
Remember when internet chat was the new and big thing? Go on a site like ICQ and you might randomly chat with someone across the world like on a ham radio. A running joke was you had a friend in Mongolia but did not know your next door neighbors. One guy I knew married a woman he met on IRC she was from Italy and moved here.

This seems to have peaked 1998-1999 then faded away as people lost interest.
ddloml
ddloml
  • Threads: 1
June 23rd, 2023 at 9:18:55 AM permalink
When I was young in the 60’s, people had pen pals. That must have gone away with email and the internet. It was an exciting day when mail came with an exotic stamp on it. There was even a running joke in “Peanuts” that Charlie Brown had a “pencil pal”, because he was too messy with a pen.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 23rd, 2023 at 9:24:03 AM permalink
Quote: ddloml

When I was young in the 60’s, people had pen pals. That must have gone away with email and the internet. It was an exciting day when mail came with an exotic stamp on it. There was even a running joke in “Peanuts” that Charlie Brown had a “pencil pal”, because he was too messy with a pen.
link to original post

In the early internet days of the early 1990s it was a thing to have an email pen pal. Back then email was not the easiest thing to have so you had a bit more trust in the person on the other side. As discussed here elsewhere, the hard part was networks did not all connect making it something you needed to know some tech.
billryan
billryan
June 23rd, 2023 at 9:58:01 AM permalink
I'm curious if fan mail is still a big thing. I briefly worked with the company that produced Menudo, and they would get their fan mail by the truckload.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
June 23rd, 2023 at 3:14:22 PM permalink

remember when it was kinna cool to light up a Winston or a Marlboro_________?

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jun 23, 2023
Please don't feed the trolls
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 23rd, 2023 at 4:32:38 PM permalink

remember when it was kinna cool to light up a Winston or a Marlboro_________?

link to original post

In the Navy in World War II my dad learned to carry a cigarette pack in the sleeve of his T-shirt. This was really big in the 50s and my dad still did it with his camel unfiltered cigarettes.

• Jump to: