Thread Rating:

LESLOSACKETT
LESLOSACKETT
  • Threads: 0
April 26th, 2023 at 12:52:02 PM permalink
Remembers when the Dodgers left Brooklynn. Question asked of a typical Dodger fan : " You are locked in a room with Hitler, Mussolini, and O'Malley. Your gun has only two bullets. Who do you shoot ? "

Currect Answer " O'Malley..............................................................................TWICE
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
April 26th, 2023 at 4:13:50 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Quote: MrV

Remember when you could use the word "gay" in normal conversation, e.g. "they had a gay old time" and it was not the opening salvo in today's culture wars?
link to original post

pretty interesting
the link has the history of the word "gay"
other than meaning happy, in the 1600s it came to mean a loose woman or man and a "gay house" meant a house of prostitution

in 1951 it appeared in the Oxford English Dictionary as slang for homosexual

the writer of the link speculates it was used in that context as much as 30 years earlier than that

now, probably nobody uses the word to mean happy, but probably many did until some time in the 60s

in 1961 the movie West Side Story - Maria sings the song " I feel pretty" the lyrics - "I feel pretty and witty and gay."

but if you look up the lyrics to that song "gay" has been edited out - and it shows the lyrics to be "I feel pretty and witty and bright"
link to original post

That is because the "gay/day" version is only in the original movie, supposedly as the scene takes place during the day. In the stage version, it has always been "bright/night."

On the other hand, when NBC remade The Flintstones in the late 1970s (at first, with a tweenage Pebbles, before quickly making her an infant again), the last line of the theme song was changed to, "We'll have a great old time."

.6'7" Joe Fortenberry is credited with being the first man to dunk a basketball in a game which he did in the 1936 Summer Olympics

it was documented in the New York Times

he was high scorer in the Gold Medal Final Game of the Olympics scoring 8 points in a 19-8 victory over Canada.
link to original post

For those of you wondering why the score was so low: it was played outdoors, on a dirt court, which had become very muddy due to a rainstorm.

Quote: ChumpChange

The DVD Player Everyone Hated - DIVX (Repairing an old DIVX Player with parts from another.)
YT Comments section abuzz about the old DIVX line.
"Nope. No DiVX discs can be played since some time around mid-2001. No matter what you do to the player."
link to original post

Ironically, pretty much all of the things that people complained about with DiVX are commonplace today; owning "permanent" copies of a movie or TV series seem to be the exception more than the rule now, and you have to pay fees to watch anything - and then hope that what you were watching isn't suddenly taken off the air.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 26th, 2023 at 8:08:15 PM permalink
There was a jump ball after every basket and no shot clock.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
April 27th, 2023 at 11:59:40 AM permalink

The advice changes as you get older even if the questions are the same.

What is the secret for lasting longer in bed?
———————————

Turn off the alarm clock.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
April 28th, 2023 at 7:14:09 AM permalink

one more completely forgotten back in the day UNC hoops superstar - Larry Miller - "IT'S MILLER TIME" - they used to scream when he had the ball

he was 6'4" - the pic is him in h.s. where his star shined very bright

at that time - 1964 - there were very, very few h.s. ballers of any height that could go up that high

Dematha went up to PA and beat his team - at basketball camp I asked Dematha Coach Morgan Wooten how many points Miller got -

he replied - "we held him to 45"

Please don't feed the trolls
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 29th, 2023 at 12:58:40 AM permalink

Larry Costello was the last of the two handed set shot shooters

he was a very tough player and a great Coach

he was on the 1967 Championship 76ers team

you can see his 2 handed set shot at 0:08 and 0:13 in the YT vid

when the jump shots started to become popular and replaced set shots a lot of old school Coaches didn't like them and talked them down

these geniuses had a saying________ "if you have to jump to get off your shot - then you don't have a shot."

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Apr 29, 2023
billryan
billryan
April 29th, 2023 at 7:32:19 AM permalink
My hs coach thought fast breaks were undignified.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 30th, 2023 at 4:52:15 AM permalink

Remember when basketball players were white

I was schooled on Washington DC playgrounds
I excelled in h.s. and played Division 1 small college ball
high scorer my freshman year and not so great my sophomore year on varsity; sometimes starting and sometimes 6th man - quit after my sophomore year because the old school Coach didn't like playground style players

I could compete successfully on the playgrounds against about 95% of the black players

but they very best - the other 5% - no - I couldn't handle them - pretty much nobody could

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Apr 30, 2023
rxwine
rxwine
April 30th, 2023 at 6:20:02 AM permalink
I read the other day, that the bananas we eat are no longer the same bananas we had 30 or so years ago. I forgot what kind of banana they said it was. You can still find them, but you have to go to a remote village somewhere far away, contact a blind man and he'll give directions to the last bananas of those type. And you probably have to fight a dragon or a guard monkey to get there.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
April 30th, 2023 at 7:17:03 AM permalink
There are hundreds of different types of bananas so it wouldn't surprise me if the most popular types have changed. I don't think the corn we eat is what our grandparents ate.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
April 30th, 2023 at 9:45:13 AM permalink
I believe the current commercial bananas are a variant of Cavendish, where the pre-1950's bananas were generally Gros Michel.
A web search did indicate that some highly specialized fruit dealers may yet trade in "exotic" bananas, at highly specialized exotic prices.
May the cards fall in your favor.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 1st, 2023 at 1:47:37 AM permalink

the KY Derby is this Saturday
a look back at one of the greatest racehorses of all time - Secretariat - 1973
he won the Belmont Stakes by 31 lengths

the announcer: "Secretariat is moving like a tremendous machine"

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 3rd, 2023 at 1:44:25 AM permalink

Twilight Zone episode - "Time Enough at Last" - why am I posting Twilight Zone episodes______? - because some were truly great imo - back in the day gems

Henry Bemis is a bookish character who can never find enough time to read the books he loves
his boss and his wife give him a hard time about all his reading when he should be doing other things

then he becomes the lone survivor of a nuclear blast and he is all by himself with all the time in the world to read the books he loves

no spoiler - you'll have to watch it - the clip is only 3 minutes - pretty powerful

the 2nd yt link lets you watch the whole episode if you prefer in 10 clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFJHq-jW-BA&list=PLgsn43CcDOc3PA5sworERNloN9FyL9CBl

Last edited by: lilredrooster on May 3, 2023
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
ChesterDog
May 3rd, 2023 at 7:23:06 PM permalink

Twilight Zone episode - "Time Enough at Last" - why am I posting Twilight Zone episodes______? - because some were truly great imo - back in the day gems

Henry Bemis is a bookish character who can never find enough time to read the books he loves
his boss and his wife give him a hard time about all his reading when he should be doing other things

then he becomes the lone survivor of a nuclear blast and he is all by himself with all the time in the world to read the books he loves

no spoiler - you'll have to watch it - the clip is only 3 minutes - pretty powerful

the 2nd yt link lets you watch the whole episode if you prefer in 10 clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFJHq-jW-BA&list=PLgsn43CcDOc3PA5sworERNloN9FyL9CBl

link to original post

Even when I was a kid I thought this was a dumb episode because all he has to do is go find another pair of glasses or a magnifying glass. Duh.. I read with a magnifying glass all the time so did both my grandfather and my great grandfather.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 4th, 2023 at 2:19:09 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Even when I was a kid I thought this was a dumb episode because all he has to do is go find another pair of glasses or a magnifying glass. Duh.. I read with a magnifying all the time
link to original post

many people just aren't as insightful as you

maybe it would be very tough to find a magnifying glass when you're almost totally blind after a nuclear blast has strewn everything asunder

maybe it would be very tough to find the right prescription when looking for glasses while almost totally blind after a nuclear blast

episode got 655K views and 7.3K likes on YT and 1,829 comments (all positive - then ones I saw)

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 4th, 2023 at 4:47:17 AM permalink

maybe it would be very tough to find a magnifying glass when you're almost totally blind after a nuclear blast has strewn everything asunder

My wife is almost blind without her glasses. It is funny watching her in the morning when she wakes up and she is feeling everywhere trying to find her glasses.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 4th, 2023 at 11:22:32 AM permalink

Only a moron who was that blind in that situation would not perform the due diligence to find glasses and a magnifying glass before he lost his glasses. If you know you're that blind and now you're all alone your main priority is to take care of that immediately. It's a cute episode but it's very poorly thought out and I knew that as a kid. Probably because I wore glasses.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 4th, 2023 at 11:25:32 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

My wife is almost blind without her glasses. It is funny watching her in the morning when she wakes up and she is feeling everywhere trying to find her glasses.
link to original post

Would cataract surgery help her? They replace the lens in the front of your eye, I just had it done because I was practically blind in my left eye and now I have 20/20 vision and it's really amazing. I see better now than I ever have in my life and I'm having the other eye done soon. It's the most performed surgery in the world, in the United States alone 20,000 cataract surgeries are done every day during the week. If you live long enough everybody gets cataracts.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
May 4th, 2023 at 11:47:28 AM permalink

Only a moron who was that blind in that situation would not perform the due diligence to find glasses and a magnifying glass before he lost his glasses. If you know you're that blind and now you're all alone your main priority is to take care of that immediately. It's a cute episode but it's very poorly thought out and I knew that as a kid. Probably because I wore glasses.
link to original post

Finding your prescription would be very hard when you was as bad of eyesight as he was. But the point is it is a short story, not reality. TTZ had lots of good stories, many of which get read in high school literature classes. It is an art form that has kind of been lost.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
May 4th, 2023 at 11:48:08 AM permalink

link to original post

Would cataract surgery help her? They replace the lens in the front of your eye, I just had it done because I was practically blind in my left eye and now I have 20/20 vision and it's really amazing. I see better now than I ever have in my life and I'm having the other eye done soon. It's the most performed surgery in the world, in the United States alone 20,000 cataract surgeries are done every day during the week. If you live long enough everybody gets cataracts.
link to original post

I don't believe that she has cataracts. She says that her vision has been this bad since she was about six years old. She has a few eye conditions including Pseudo-tumor Cerebri.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 4th, 2023 at 12:37:50 PM permalink

one more episode - another catastrophe threatens humans on our dear planet

EvenBob
EvenBob
May 5th, 2023 at 11:10:56 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Finding your prescription would be very hard when you was as bad of eyesight as he was. But the point is it is a short story, not reality. TTZ had lots of good stories, many of which get read in high school literature classes. It is an art form that has kind of been lost.
link to original post

He obviously needed glasses to read with so he could have found magnifying glasses up the wazoo. That's my point that it's a story and not reality because if it was reality the story would not have ended that way. He would have found a magnifying glass easily. I knew that when I was 12 years old. So many of the old Twilight Zone stories are like that, just silly. Like the one where the gambler thinks he goes to heaven and he's actually in hell because he can't lose. It's like the old Star Trek series, so many of them had to end with a moral lesson when real life isn't like that at all. If you learn a moral lesson from something that happens to you in reality it's very rare.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Hunterhill
May 5th, 2023 at 3:38:47 PM permalink
It must suck to go through life knowing you have all the answers, yet no one will listen. A veritable modern-day Cassandra.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 7th, 2023 at 1:02:21 AM permalink

Kenny Sailors - U. of Wyoming 1946 - is credited with being the first to shoot a jump shot in a game -

he was immortalized in this pic which appeared in Life Magazine - and he's up pretty high - for that era

billryan
billryan
May 7th, 2023 at 4:49:16 AM permalink

Kenny Sailors - U. of Wyoming 1946 - is credited with being the first to shoot a jump shot in a game -

he was immortalized in this pic which appeared in Life Magazine - and he's up pretty high - for that era

link to original post

Too bad the ref didn't nip that right in the bud. Two steps up is no different than two steps forward. It's traveling.
BBall was designed to be played below the rim.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
May 7th, 2023 at 1:29:11 PM permalink

link to original post

He obviously needed glasses to read with so he could have found magnifying glasses up the wazoo. That's my point that it's a story and not reality because if it was reality the story would not have ended that way. He would have found a magnifying glass easily. I knew that when I was 12 years old. So many of the old Twilight Zone stories are like that, just silly. Like the one where the gambler thinks he goes to heaven and he's actually in hell because he can't lose. It's like the old Star Trek series, so many of them had to end with a moral lesson when real life isn't like that at all. If you learn a moral lesson from something that happens to you in reality it's very rare.
link to original post

There was an atomic blast. Any magnifying glass was vaporized.
rxwine
rxwine
May 7th, 2023 at 2:56:40 PM permalink
Can’t remember the last story I read or movie I saw that didn’t have some plot hole somewhere. I suppose the most annoying result is when it turns out that it was all a dream anyway. Because that means whatever didn’t make sense didn’t really have to. But then there’s always the popularity of The Wizard of Oz so there’s that.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 7th, 2023 at 4:15:59 PM permalink

age 15 I was totally broke - wanted to take a girl out on a date
somebody told me they might hire me as pinsetter at a nearby duckpin alley
I went and talked to the Manager
he said he might hire me but he gave me a warning:
he said the pins sometimes took an odd bounce and they could hit you in the head
$1.25 per hour and I might get hit in the head by a bowling pin
I passed

rxwine
rxwine
May 7th, 2023 at 5:32:12 PM permalink
A high school football helmet would likely suffice.
rxwine
rxwine
May 12th, 2023 at 5:41:09 AM permalink
Odds in hitchhiking.

I used to see people hitchhiking all the time when I was a teenager. Don't see it nearly as much.

Hitchbot was an experiment by two Canadian professors to see if a robot could hitchhike. It successfully made it across Canada, Netherlands, and Germany. It got to the US and was beaten to death in Philadelphia.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
May 12th, 2023 at 5:52:52 AM permalink
That robot got flipped - turned upside down!
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
May 12th, 2023 at 7:20:35 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

link to original post

Are you saying there may have been a couple of guys who were up to no good and that they started making trouble in the neighborhood?
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
May 12th, 2023 at 9:57:35 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

link to original post

Are you saying there may have been a couple of guys who were up to no good and that they started making trouble in the neighborhood?
link to original post

Hmm... that might be all right!
DRich
DRich
May 12th, 2023 at 6:10:00 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Odds in hitchhiking.

I used to see people hitchhiking all the time when I was a teenager. Don't see it nearly as much.

Hitchbot was an experiment by two Canadian professors to see if a robot could hitchhike. It successfully made it across Canada, Netherlands, and Germany. It got to the US and was beaten to death in Philadelphia.

link to original post

Hard to believe something like that would happen in Philly. Lol
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 17th, 2023 at 1:35:57 PM permalink
the Bookmobile used to come to my neighborhood every Saturday and park for a few hours - looked just like the pic
I've always loved to read and I always picked out something

DRich
DRich
June 17th, 2023 at 2:39:39 PM permalink

the Bookmobile used to come to my neighborhood every Saturday and park for a few hours - looked just like the pic

link to original post

I don't remember that at all. When would you guess they stopped?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 17th, 2023 at 4:05:34 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

maybe early 70s

billryan
billryan
June 17th, 2023 at 4:23:57 PM permalink
I remember hearing of them, but I don't think I ever saw one in person.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 17th, 2023 at 5:25:21 PM permalink
It was a bit before my time, but some might recall DUCK AND COVER.

Sure, hiding under your desk will save you from an H-bomb ... not.

"What, me worry?"
DRich
DRich
June 17th, 2023 at 5:52:29 PM permalink

link to original post

We did that for tornado warnings in Ohio.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 17th, 2023 at 6:46:28 PM permalink

link to original post

Our bookmobile came every Tuesday and I always took books out. For Christmas and my birthday I always got book of the Month Club gifts so I had two or three books coming in the mail every month which was extremely exciting. Probably the best one was science fiction book of the month in the early sixties. That's when all the best authors were still alive and writing.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 17th, 2023 at 6:49:58 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I remember hearing of them, but I don't think I ever saw one in person.
link to original post

My local library branch was the best because they had a huge box of used comic books and if you brought in your own used comics you could trade them even up for comics in the box. This was a treasure trove for me until I was about 10 years old and I started reading real books. Once I started reading The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew I never went back to comics.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 17th, 2023 at 6:54:31 PM permalink

link to original post

We did that for tornado warnings in Ohio.
link to original post

We did it for the bomb in the 1950s it was actually fun anything to get out of regular class work. My dad built what was supposedly a tornado shelter in the backyard but it was actually a bomb shelter which we didn't know till years later. Being scared of the atomic bomb in the 50s was a very big deal. Nikita Khrushchev banging on the podium with his shoe and screaming that he's going to bury us all scared the crap out of everybody.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 17th, 2023 at 7:27:43 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

maybe early 70s

link to original post

There are at least a few library systems that still offer bookmobile service.
The vehicles I've seen lately look more like modern intercity buses.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 18th, 2023 at 2:47:21 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

maybe early 70s

link to original post

link to original post

I think I saw them in the 80s. If you lived in a town with a good local library there was not a ton of need for them. In my city we had and have one of the better library systems in the USA, thank you Andrew Carnegie. When you don't the bookmobile makes a lot of sense. I figure places still have them, more rural areas maybe.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 18th, 2023 at 2:50:53 AM permalink
Remember when 10 pages a minute from your printer was blazing fast? And how slow dot-matrix printers were?

I print out 100 pages or more a day at work and often when I see them just spitting out remember how slow things used to be. In college we heard about "super printers" that printed a page in a second or two and it was not imaginable if you were watching the dot matrix head going back and forth. Heck, when I saw the first bi-directional dot matrix job we thought it might not get any better than that.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 18th, 2023 at 3:41:08 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

maybe early 70s

link to original post

link to original post

I think I saw them in the 80s. If you lived in a town with a good local library there was not a ton of need for them. In my city we had and have one of the better library systems in the USA, thank you Andrew Carnegie. When you don't the bookmobile makes a lot of sense. I figure places still have them, more rural areas maybe.
link to original post

The bookmobile websites I'm seeing seem to agree with this.
There seem to be a few that also stop in 'underserved' urban areas, neighborhoods without their own library branches (and possibly transit challenges for the neighbors).

Now I'm thinking back to my first library card, which was a piece of stiff paper with an embossed metal staple on it with the card number. I had to bike about two miles across town to get to the library, but it was conveniently only a few blocks from the swimming pool.
Then, it got to be 1990 or so - library cards became plastic and barcoded, and I could log into the computerized card catalog system from home with a modem. This was more comfortable, as my desk had a chair, but the library made you stand at a kiosk. (This makes a difference if you're taking a long time with numerous interlibrary loan requests, and figuring out which references are not on ILL, and where you have to travel to look something up. The university library two towns over would let almost anyone in to look through the stacks and read in the library, but only university students and paid library members had check-out privileges for the good stuff.)
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 18th, 2023 at 5:35:53 AM permalink

The university library two towns over would let almost anyone in to look through the stacks and read in the library, but only university students and paid library members had check-out privileges for the good stuff.)

I believe libraries - much more so public libraries then university libraries - are very people friendly places

librarians where I live will help people with all sorts of things other than just finding books

they're so different than the typical Government run organizations

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 18th, 2023 at 8:36:25 AM permalink

The university library two towns over would let almost anyone in to look through the stacks and read in the library, but only university students and paid library members had check-out privileges for the good stuff.)

I believe libraries - much more so public libraries then university libraries - are very people friendly places

librarians where I live will help people with all sorts of things other than just finding books

they're so different than the typical Government run organizations

link to original post

By unrelated circumstance, librarians are among my favored professionals to party with.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
Dieter
June 18th, 2023 at 9:04:35 AM permalink

link to original post

This sheltering in place was intended to save you from the broken glass and debris from the shock wave if you were a distance away from the detonation - say a couple of miles. Obviously no-one and no structure would survive a direct impact.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
  • Jump to: