Thread Rating:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
August 1st, 2023 at 5:29:12 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

I think the most ironic part is the only person in forum history to lodge a formal complaint about misgendering is somebody who thinks such speech should be beyond regulation.

The most factually incorrect post in forum history. Congratulations!!!!

One of the top posters in forum history lodged hundreds (perhaps, but not likely, an exaggeration) of complaints about misgendering.

Another example of a post which is written as authoritative but is the EXACT OPPOSITE.

Good try Gandler!
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
August 1st, 2023 at 5:34:48 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: rxwine

Question for mods.

Is it an insult to keep addressing someone here by other than their preferred address or not? Just to clear that up.

I imagined this site isn’t generally about gender confirmation.

(I assume no one is going get away with taking on an offending namesake, but more or less can choose how they want to be addressed)
link to original post

It depends.
Instances are considered case by case.

As much as this sounds like a chicken-scratch non-answer, there is more to it than is obvious at first blush.
If the intent is malicious, expect consequence.
If the effect is cruelty, expect consequence.

Try not to be a jerk.
link to original post

Can you give me some hypothetical examples of the different conclusions? I think it's fair to argue, only the person being addressed knows if something is offensive, not the person using it. One may be offended by a remark that doesn't offend the majority of people and another may not be offended by a whole host of insults.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
August 1st, 2023 at 5:43:19 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I think the most ironic part is the only person in forum history to lodge a formal complaint about misgendering is somebody who thinks such speech should be beyond regulation.

One of the top posters in forum history lodged hundreds (perhaps, but not likely, an exaggeration) of complaints about misgendering.

Another example of a post which is written as authoritative but is the EXACT OPPOSITE.

Good try Gandler!
link to original post

Care to elaborate or cite sources? One person making hundreds of misgendering complaints for a single post and still actively making claims?

Even if this is true, it does not make my post the most factually incorrect post in forum history by any sane measurement, unless that person was also an advocate of misgendering for personal gratification? Even if this generous assumption was the case, it would at most make my initial post less correct, it would be far from the most correct post in forum history (and the fact that I am willing to concede my initial figures may be wrong attests to that.)
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
August 1st, 2023 at 5:53:39 PM permalink

Quote: Dieter

Question for mods.

Is it an insult to keep addressing someone here by other than their preferred address or not? Just to clear that up.

I imagined this site isn’t generally about gender confirmation.

(I assume no one is going get away with taking on an offending namesake, but more or less can choose how they want to be addressed)
link to original post

It depends.
Instances are considered case by case.

As much as this sounds like a chicken-scratch non-answer, there is more to it than is obvious at first blush.
If the intent is malicious, expect consequence.
If the effect is cruelty, expect consequence.

Try not to be a jerk.
link to original post

Can you give me some hypothetical examples of the different conclusions? I think it's fair to argue, only the person being addressed knows if something is offensive, not the person using it. One may be offended by a remark that doesn't offend the majority of people and another may not be offended by a whole host of insults.
link to original post

I'm admittedly biased.
That said, if my kid tells me they want me to use "they/them" instead of "she/her" because it makes them feel less inclined to inflict self-harm, they can have it their way and we'll hopefully argue about it for years to come.
I'll somehow attempt to adapt with the wishy-washy social niceties, rather than insist on obvious pronouns for XX chromosomes.

Maybe you call me "Ma'am". I correct you. You apologize and try to do better. No problem.
If you want to start a (metaphorical) fistfight with me over it and keep calling me "Ma'am", that would seem like a jerk move.
May the cards fall in your favor.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 1st, 2023 at 5:58:30 PM permalink

Good try Gandler!
link to original post

Care to elaborate or cite sources? One person making hundreds of misgendering complaints for a single post and still actively making claims?

Even if this is true, it does not make my post the most factually incorrect post in forum history by any sane measurement, unless that person was also an advocate of misgendering for personal gratification? Even if this generous assumption was the case, it would at most make my initial post less correct, it would be far from the most correct post in forum history (and the fact that I am willing to concede my initial figures may be wrong attests to that.)
link to original post

Nareed is a transgendered female born as a male. She took great offense when anyone referred to her as a he. Even if done so accidentally. I’m not going back ten years to find you the posts. Just trust me!?!

My post was over the top. It’s just that the specific issue dominated the forum for a while. You just weren’t a member back then.
rxwine
rxwine
August 1st, 2023 at 5:58:35 PM permalink
If we need insist on calling people on perceived fake beliefs, let's just say there's a whole lot of people who follow invisible beings who need a talking to. They build buildings and are everywhere and collect money and try to convince people to believe.

Why pick on gender preference only like it's the only potential fake belief?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 1st, 2023 at 6:05:47 PM permalink

If we need insist on calling people on perceived fake beliefs, let's just say there's a whole lot of people who follow invisible beings who need a talking to. They build buildings and are everywhere and collect money and try to convince people to believe.

link to original post

Good point. In real life you have to deal with all sorts of people who believe in all sorts of stupid stuff. You just have to decide how much you are willing to subjugate your own beliefs to be kind to those you think are batshit crazy.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
August 1st, 2023 at 6:07:18 PM permalink

Good try Gandler!
link to original post

link to original post

Nareed is a transgendered female born as a male. She took great offense when anyone referred to her as a he. Even if done so accidentally. I’m not going back ten years to find you the posts. Just trust me!?!

My post was over the top. It’s just that the specific issue dominated the forum for a while. You just weren’t a member back then.
link to original post

And let's not forget the whole Nathan debacle although that was misgendering for a different reason.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
August 1st, 2023 at 6:09:02 PM permalink

Good try Gandler!
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I can confirm, having been unintentionally on the wrong side and gotten a good scolding.
Gandler
Gandler
August 1st, 2023 at 6:28:55 PM permalink

Good try Gandler!
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I will trust you, because I take people at their word (and I honestly have no idea of that name.) But, can you elaborate your position? Is misgendering always wrong or only wrong against specific people?

And, did this person complain about misgendering in a trans sense or did they just want to be addressed differently? For example, I have said (many times) that my default position is to refer to posters in the male form (which is a statistical safe unless there is something indicating otherwise -IE profile-) Was this simply one of those ladies who came here and posted without making any reference to gender and then acted offended when people said "him" in reference to them (despite quickly adjusting fire when this became apparent)? Or was this a case of intentional misgendering? Because these are vastly different things.

Even if all of the above are true, I would still hold that somebody who is most famous for being an advocate or being allowed to misgender is a hypocrite for acting offended and lodging formal complaints for when this happens to them. (For additional clarification, I agree that this is wrong, and people should not do this, and if nothing else, this is borderline "trolling", but surely I cannot be the only one who sees the hypocrisy.)

And, for further clarification, you have claimed to be a MD (I trust you, but we have never met, and even if we have, I would not be able to verify your academic credentials,) would you be offended if I insisted on calling you Mr. Soopoo instead of Dr. Soopoo? And are titles and gender preferences the same? (this is not irrelevant because it returns to titles vs pronouns debate.)
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
Dieterams288
August 1st, 2023 at 6:57:14 PM permalink
How insecure does someone have to be to feel threatened by a person asking to be called whatever they wish to be called?

A little courtesy goes a long way.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Gandler
Gandler
August 1st, 2023 at 7:00:48 PM permalink

link to original post

Because then religious people do not have a group that they can categorize as more insane than them? (While making half-hearted claims to "follow the science"?) Like, cool, but where is the science that fetuses are human or that vaccines are bad for humanity? Or where is the science for anything? At the end of the day if you just wave the constitution as your get out of jail free card, you cannot be offended when others do the same (unless it is the status itself and not the exertion of rights that offends you.)

But, there is definitely a double standard even within this thread.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
darkoz
August 1st, 2023 at 7:46:15 PM permalink

Good try Gandler!
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I will trust you, because I take people at their word (and I honestly have no idea of that name.) But, can you elaborate your position? Is misgendering always wrong or only wrong against specific people?

And, did this person complain about misgendering in a trans sense or did they just want to be addressed differently? For example, I have said (many times) that my default position is to refer to posters in the male form (which is a statistical safe unless there is something indicating otherwise -IE profile-) Was this simply one of those ladies who came here and posted without making any reference to gender and then acted offended when people said "him" in reference to them (despite quickly adjusting fire when this became apparent)? Or was this a case of intentional misgendering? Because these are vastly different things.

Even if all of the above are true, I would still hold that somebody who is most famous for being an advocate or being allowed to misgender is a hypocrite for acting offended and lodging formal complaints for when this happens to them. (For additional clarification, I agree that this is wrong, and people should not do this, and if nothing else, this is borderline "trolling", but surely I cannot be the only one who sees the hypocrisy.)

And, for further clarification, you have claimed to be a MD (I trust you, but we have never met, and even if we have, I would not be able to verify your academic credentials,) would you be offended if I insisted on calling you Mr. Soopoo instead of Dr. Soopoo? And are titles and gender preferences the same? (this is not irrelevant because it returns to titles vs pronouns debate.)
link to original post

Too much to answer! I take no offense to being called Mr. SOOPOO. I am hard to offend! I don’t remember the details of the timing of Nareed’s announcing to the forum of her being transgendered. But there were clearly some forum members who inadvertently called Nareed a ‘he’, and some who did it on purpose.

You ask me if ‘misgendering’ is always wrong? I now look at it this way…. Even if I felt as AZ does that ‘born a man, always a man’ is correct, it costs me nothing to refer to the person the way they want to be referred. I’ve mentioned this already. But at my sons wedding he had a bridesmaid that is a biological male. Why would I want to hurt my son’s friend by addressing the friend as ‘he’ or ‘him’?
rxwine
rxwine
August 1st, 2023 at 7:52:55 PM permalink

Good try Gandler!
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Too much to answer! I take no offense to being called Mr. SOOPOO. I am hard to offend! I don’t remember the details of the timing of Nareed’s announcing to the forum of her being transgendered. But there were clearly some forum members who inadvertently called Nareed a ‘he’, and some who did it on purpose.

You ask me if ‘misgendering’ is always wrong? I now look at it this way…. Even if I felt as AZ does that ‘born a man, always a man’ is correct, it costs me nothing to refer to the person the way they want to be referred. I’ve mentioned this already. But at my sons wedding he had a bridesmaid that is a biological male. Why would I want to hurt my son’s friend by addressing the friend as ‘he’ or ‘him’?
link to original post

And no one is requiring one sing kumbaya with everyone you meet either. It's not a big ask.
rxwine
rxwine
August 1st, 2023 at 7:55:32 PM permalink
KUMBAYA - exhibiting a belief in harmony between people and in their essential goodness.

Well, it would be nice, but...
Gandler
Gandler
August 1st, 2023 at 8:14:18 PM permalink

Good try Gandler!
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

If this is the case, I feel that we are almost saying almost the exact same thing. Whether you are sowing disagreement for political or personal differences is fine, but don't act like we are moons apart.

I simply don't see the need with hiding the ball, either misgendering is always wrong or it is never wrong (this is an issue that there is no middle ground at least as far as forum rules go.) Personally, I try to always respect people and their representation, and there is little reason to insist to contradict people on their view of themselves. If somebody wants to be known as a man, I see no reason to deny them of this. But, if the same man wants to attack others for their identity, I see no reason to advocate a rule that hyper focuses on them to deny them of this recourse. My personal view is it is never wrong in a rule sense (agree with the poster) that is should be allowed (but in turn you can't act outraged when it happens to you.) Now, this does not mean that I would do it, or paise those that did. Of course, I feel that the forum should be more open for attacks and open speech (and I say this as somebody subject to endless unpopular opinions, who never complains,) but I understand that some people will object to any direct disagreement. I think it would be hard to be more philosophically consistent than me.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
August 1st, 2023 at 11:48:51 PM permalink

Just remember…. EQUALLY as irrelevant as any of your posts to him! By saying ‘any views you express’…. you lower your own standing. You think his views on what chicken wings are good in Buffalo are tainted because he thinks all people born with penises are men? Really? Why don’t you AGREE with his opinion that ……. I can name a dozen non controversial ones…..

The answer is clearly that you don’t like his overall political/social platforms.

You KNOW I like you. But don’t you think you should be more open minded?
link to original post

Good point. Well made. Thanks.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 2nd, 2023 at 4:12:18 AM permalink

link to original post

People believe in a "gay gene" without proof. People believe in global warming without proof.

Gender preference, OTOH, is actually provable as fake. The people who believe in it go to any length.

"A man cannot become a woman just because he says he is."
"Prove it"
:"Well, he cannot bear a child."
"Then a woman who has had a hysterectomy is no longer a woman then?"

Whey you dig into their beliefs, they kind of desire a dystopian world where there is no gender in the first place. If you doubt me note that the same people tend to use the term "latinix" which is not even a word. They use it because Spanish words can have a gender, which drives them nuts. They are by and large the same kind of people who want to force boys to play with dolls and girls to play with toy cars despite they want to play with stereotypical toys. They want to stamp out any differences in the genders. It is kind of scary.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
Thanked by
OnceDeardarkoz
August 2nd, 2023 at 4:19:21 AM permalink
WTF happened to this board’s “no political discussions” rule? Or is that only enforced for certain people now?

Cause I’d love to light Duffman up based on all the BS he’s allowed to post in this thread.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 2nd, 2023 at 4:22:00 AM permalink

Nareed posted as male when things started here. Nareed now has "female" as gender, though I am pretty sure it was "male" at that start. If Nareed was actually female then Nareed would not let us know Nareed was "transgendered" but would rather have just registered as female and posted as a female. IOW, Nareed is a person seeking attention. The transgendered thing is just another way to do it. Nareed always came off to me as a bit unbalanced, Getting extremely upset when something was posted that Nareed did not like. Nareed's sig violates policy here, though I suspect that is ignored because Nareed is inactive. Nareed will fall off the top poster list here within 8-12 months and mostly be forgotten.

The whole thing is an example of why I refuse to humor this type. It is not helping them, it is enabling them.
darkoz
darkoz
August 2nd, 2023 at 5:23:05 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

WTF happened to this board’s “no political discussions” rule? Or is that only enforced for certain people now?

Cause I’d love to light Duffman up based on all the BS he’s allowed to post in this thread.
link to original post

Not to mention he effectively hijacked this thread for a subject that was pretty much verboten on here from a past closed thread.
rxwine
rxwine
August 2nd, 2023 at 5:38:15 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

link to original post

People believe in a "gay gene" without proof. People believe in global warming without proof.

Gender preference, OTOH, is actually provable as fake. The people who believe in it go to any length.

"Prove it"

Whey you dig into their beliefs, they kind of desire a dystopian world where there is no gender in the first place. If you doubt me note that the same people tend to use the term "latinix" which is not even a word. They use it because Spanish words can have a gender, which drives them nuts. They are by and large the same kind of people who want to force boys to play with dolls and girls to play with toy cars despite they want to play with stereotypical toys. They want to stamp out any differences in the genders. It is kind of scary.
link to original post

Implying everyone agrees on just one cause for behavior doesn't prove your point, because it's incorrect to start with. But then you didn't even bother to address the actual point. SOOPOO did, so I know it's possible.
rxwine
rxwine
August 2nd, 2023 at 5:52:46 AM permalink
If I get banned, no problem.

If a human body secretes too much of a hormone or too little of one it can change behavior. Yet there may be no physical difference detected in the way someone was born. Just for example on how relying on how someone is physically born ican be faulty. A one time secretion could fuse in something more permanent if it occurred at the right time.
darkoz
darkoz
August 2nd, 2023 at 6:39:38 AM permalink
It's mind boggling that someone can say with a straight face there is no proof of global warming.

More like there is no proof that will convince someone who refuses to look at the proof
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
Dieter
August 2nd, 2023 at 6:39:38 AM permalink
Okay I will step in and declare that this discussion of gender pronouns and transgender issues needs to stop. Now.

We allowed a lengthy discussion of gender pronouns about a year ago and the Wizard declared a policy about their usage in this forum. However, this renewal of the debate and the discussion of transgender issues falls under the category of controversial/political issues. Furthermore, this thread is about 'the suspension list" as well as the policies relating to moderation of the forum, and this gender discussion has developed into an unwelcome hijack.

Please act like adults and stop this discussion as requested. Otherwise a moderator on pain medications may grab a sharp instrument and cut you all down.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
August 2nd, 2023 at 7:26:53 AM permalink

link to original post

"Prove it"

link to original post

It must be a very scary world out there for you. Congratulations on getting through the day. Fight the Power!!!!!!
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
August 2nd, 2023 at 9:20:02 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

"The worst waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who does not care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions. Never waste time on arguments that don't make sense...

There are people who, no matter how much evidence and evidence we present to them, are not in the capacity to understand, and others are blinded by ego, hatred and resentment, and all they want is to be right even if they are not.

When ignorance screams, intelligence is silent. Because peace and quietness are worth more."
link to original post

Quote: gordon888

This quote is taken verbatim from a fable, as Tuttigym has pointed out. The words are those of the fable authors. I posted it as a philosophy about why I choose not to respond to most of the criticism leveled at me. And, I picked this quote because it reflects what I have been preaching for a while - that some of the conversation in this forum is a boring and repetitive waste of time.

The fable was brought to light by OD and answered my inquiry, so thanks for that OD.

tuttigym
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 2nd, 2023 at 3:30:31 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

It's mind boggling that someone can say with a straight face there is no proof of global warming.

More like there is no proof that will convince someone who refuses to look at the proof
link to original post

We do not even have a long enough data set to prove it. I have heard we "have just 10 years to reverse things" for about 30 years now. The same people with those "question authority" bumper stickers are the ones who demand we do not dare question global warming. And the "proof" tends to be just weather happening.

Believe blindly if you wish, I will keep thinking for myself.
darkoz
darkoz
August 2nd, 2023 at 3:58:59 PM permalink

link to original post

We do not even have a long enough data set to prove it. I have heard we "have just 10 years to reverse things" for about 30 years now. The same people with those "question authority" bumper stickers are the ones who demand we do not dare question global warming. And the "proof" tends to be just weather happening.

link to original post

There are apparently two types of people when it comes to global warming.

The type that provide rock solid evidence that it's happening and the type that ignores rock solid evidence without even looking at it

The good thing is that the naysayers are not being listened too. Just singular voices in an echo chamber. I don't understand what they get out of wishing bad for the climate SMH.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 2nd, 2023 at 4:13:03 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

The type that provide rock solid evidence that it's happening and the type that ignores rock solid evidence without even looking at it

The good thing is that the naysayers are not being listened too. Just singular voices in an echo chamber. I don't understand what they get out of wishing bad for the climate SMH.
link to original post

I have yet to see any "rock solid evidence." Just weather. And the biggie....the climate has been changing for 4.5 billion years. And why do we think warmer is not better? Historically it is.

The majority following a bad idea is still a bad idea. 200 years from now the population will probably look at the global warming hysteria and ask "how could so many people be so gullible?"
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 2nd, 2023 at 5:02:52 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I have yet to see any "rock solid evidence." Just weather. And the biggie....the climate has been changing for 4.5 billion years. And why do we think warmer is not better? Historically it is.

The majority following a bad idea is still a bad idea. 200 years from now the population will probably look at the global warming hysteria and ask "how could so many people be so gullible?"
link to original post

This is a DT conversation as per the Wizard. But I’ll try and make it WoV friendly. The odds of AZ being correct are less than 1%. Of course GW is real, and certainly affected by human made factors. What to do about it is the big question.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
Thanked by
TheCapitalShip
August 2nd, 2023 at 11:01:08 PM permalink
LGBTZXZ. He, she, they, it... who cares. Live and let live. None of that stuff phases me.

If someone wants to be called something or referred to as something different than they were originally born as, I don’t have a problem with that. I'll do my best to remember and respect that. However, if I forget and accidentally call Catelyn Jenner, Bruce... or refer to her as a him, and someone gets all offended, then they can F off.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
August 3rd, 2023 at 12:13:37 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

LGBTZXZ. He, she, they, it... who cares. Live and let live. None of that stuff phases me.

If someone wants to be called something or referred to as something different than they were originally born as, I don’t have a problem with that. I'll do my best to remember and respect that. However, if I forget and accidentally call Catelyn Jenner, Bruce... or refer to her as a him, and someone gets all offended, then they can F off.
link to original post

This is my philosophy as-well.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 3rd, 2023 at 3:52:15 AM permalink

This is a DT conversation as per the Wizard. But I’ll try and make it WoV friendly. The odds of AZ being correct are less than 1%. Of course GW is real, and certainly affected by human made factors. What to do about it is the big question.
link to original post

Care to back this up with something? Do you have a control planet where you have measurements of temperatures over time to compare the two? Do you have a million years of accurate temperature reads to get a valid time series in a 4.5 billion year old planet? The 150 years we have is like saying Tuperware stock is a good but because it is up 100% in the last few weeks. Meanwhile the stock is on the verge of bankruptcy. See, that is the thing. GW believers think a 150 year trend means something in the lifespan of a planet.

Question what you are being told about it. It is not real just because the people on TV tell you it is real. In the 1970s the same people told us we were heading for an ice age by now.
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
odiousgambit
August 3rd, 2023 at 3:57:36 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Dear Moderators,

If Gender recognition is Controversial and off topic, how far are you going to allow this thread and this whole forum to follow down the Climate change rabbit-hole?
I earnestly suggest that moderators step in to send DT topics to DT or at very least bring this thread back on track.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 643
August 3rd, 2023 at 5:39:04 AM permalink
Everyone,
Block AZDuff and EvenBob for a better forum experience.

Mine has been better since i did that.
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
August 3rd, 2023 at 5:52:58 AM permalink

link to original post

Care to back this up with something? Do you have a control planet where you have measurements of temperatures over time to compare the two? Do you have a million years of accurate temperature reads to get a valid time series in a 4.5 billion year old planet? The 150 years we have is like saying Tuperware stock is a good but because it is up 100% in the last few weeks. Meanwhile the stock is on the verge of bankruptcy. See, that is the thing. GW believers think a 150 year trend means something in the lifespan of a planet.

Question what you are being told about it. It is not real just because the people on TV tell you it is real. In the 1970s the same people told us we were heading for an ice age by now.
link to original post

Climate change is mostly unrelated to this forum's core topics of Vegas, math, and gambling.
That makes it a DT topic.
http://diversitytomorrow.com/

Take the hint and let me eat my mountain of breakfast pills in peace.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
ams288teliotOnceDearavianrandy
August 3rd, 2023 at 5:57:36 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

Everyone,

link to original post

That’s not how I’d handle it. As far as AZ, you can just disagree with him, as I often do. He can at least make arguments that you can challenge.

As far as EB, and this is only about his roulette silly claims, I’d have, as the authoritative expert (The Wiz), explained how nonsensical EB’s claims are. Then I would have given EB a chance to prove his claims. (The Wiz did). Once EB did not, and was given innumerable ways to do so, I’d inform EB his silly claims are no longer welcome at WoV. And if he continued to troll the forum he would be permanently banned.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
OnceDear
August 3rd, 2023 at 6:31:23 AM permalink
Life is too short to suffer fools. If someone wants to argue it is his gawd-given right to be an ignorant fool, why disagree?

If someone believes a flu shot contains nanotechnology that will introduce gay genes into his DNA, I salute them. I am not usually the one that handles correcting the rest of the world.
I believe everyone has a place in life, and if someone's lot in life is to say stupid things that entertain me, so be it.
billryan
billryan
August 3rd, 2023 at 6:32:33 AM permalink

Everyone,

link to original post

But, Mama, that's where the fun is.....
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 3rd, 2023 at 6:39:55 AM permalink

Everyone,

link to original post

That’s not how I’d handle it. As far as AZ, you can just disagree with him, as I often do. He can at least make arguments that you can challenge.

As far as EB, and this is only about his roulette silly claims, I’d have, as the authoritative expert (The Wiz), explained how nonsensical EB’s claims are. Then I would have given EB a chance to prove his claims. (The Wiz did). Once EB did not, and was given innumerable ways to do so, I’d inform EB his silly claims are no longer welcome at WoV. And if he continued to troll the forum he would be permanently banned.
link to original post

Right. Only interacting with people you agree with makes your mind lazy same as sitting on the couch makes your body lazy.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
August 3rd, 2023 at 6:45:52 AM permalink

Right. Only interacting with people you agree with makes your mind lazy same as sitting on the couch makes your body lazy.
link to original post

I don't think my body could get any lazier. I get winded walking down the driveway to retrieve the trash can.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
ams288OnceDear
August 3rd, 2023 at 6:53:38 AM permalink

Everyone,

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

On the other hand, interacting with people who spew hatred and nonsense makes me want to take a shower.
darkoz
darkoz
August 3rd, 2023 at 8:16:24 AM permalink

In the 1970s the same people told us we were heading for an ice age by now.
link to original post

This is my choice for quote of the day. It's the usual ridiculous comparison with technology and science of a different time period.

It's equivalent to saying you don't believe DNA can prove who was at the scene of a crime because the same people making those claims were claiming blood typing was able to prove who was at the scene of a crime in the 1970's and look how many times they put innocent men in prison.

EDIT: Not to mention completely untrue. Global warming has been considered a problem since the 1890's.

OnceDear
OnceDear
August 3rd, 2023 at 8:34:44 AM permalink
G'Aaargh! Guys. Stop it please.
I can block the ignorant bigots and idiots, but I'm still seeing this off topic climate change stuff from folks I respect.
Please heed the moderators.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
ams288
August 3rd, 2023 at 8:41:04 AM permalink
WARNING: STOP DISCUSSING CLIMATE CHANGE and GENDER PRONOUNS. This thread is about suspensions and moderator practices. Stay on topic.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
August 3rd, 2023 at 8:57:15 AM permalink

WARNING: STOP DISCUSSING CLIMATE CHANGE and GENDER PRONOUNS. This thread is about suspensions and moderator practices. Stay on topic.
link to original post

He means it this time. Seriously.
darkoz
darkoz
August 3rd, 2023 at 9:07:26 AM permalink
Bringing this subject back on topic.

AZ had derailed the discussion when asking why getting insulted by misgendering was more egregious than the insult about my using the subway which is what got EB suspended.

For the record the insult came out of nowhere in response to EB' roulette system. But there's more to it than that.

EB had lobbed a direct insult to me (paraphrasing here that I had a deformed cerebellum or something of that nature and was unable to learn as a result).

This was maybe three weeks ago. I notified Dieter by PM(I hope this doesn't violate discussion of PM but I am trying to give the current suspension some view) however Dieter notified me he was going through a private crisis he has since shared with us. Literally the next day Wizard announced he was going to be somewhat unavailable.

I didn't feel like burdening a now by himself Gordon and dropped it.

Later Gordon suspended EB for an insult to Axel which is literally on the same page of the thread as my insult. I didn't feel like asking for a "me too" so again I just didn't mention it.

So when Dieter came back and EB hurled yet another insult towards me about a homeless period in my life on the subway Dieters punishment had some history behind it.

So hopefully that answers some of the mystery questioning EB's current suspension.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 40
August 3rd, 2023 at 9:18:20 AM permalink
You allude to that you ride the bus and have no car in your signature. Some might take that to mean that you're proud and wish to make a point of your no car heritage which would include the subway. You certainly freely discuss your homeless era in many posts over the years including recently. I didn't know you were homeless until you brought the whole thing up yourself.

Your story is instructive in two ways, as what not to do and what to do. What not to do is to let yourself get homeless in the first place, through inability to reposition when the paradigm shifts. What to do would be in figuring out how to do something entirely different to get off the streets. I have in fact mentioned your story to employees of mine to illustrate both of these points.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
darkoz
darkoz
August 3rd, 2023 at 9:25:25 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

You allude to that you ride the bus and have no car in your signature. Some might take that to mean that you're proud and wish to make a point of your no car heritage which would include the subway. You certainly freely discuss your homeless era in many posts over the years including recently.
link to original post

That is correct.

That doesn't mean it's open fodder for insults.

Similar to if a person was obese and is chronicling dieting that doesn't mean insulting his weight issues is now open season.

If you remember I got suspended for your proud boasts of ketchup bottle collection. We are all here sharing a bit of our lives.

I will admit I too am a guilty of it. I mention EB's candle light living from time to time. But I am not making the moderator decisions. I didn't complain about the homeless insult. I only complained about the inferior cerebellum insult which is an insult of a different nature.
  • Jump to: