ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy 
  • Threads: 96
August 27th, 2020 at 6:48:41 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

Iím barely an arithmetic guy. Calculus? Fuggedanoudit.

No calculus involved - just logarithms and exponents.
Quote: DJTeddyBear

Iím a little surprised you didnít continue this till the exponent got too big for Excel - or became got expressed as scientific notation itself.

It gets to the point where 10^N spins has a value of 1 E(-1.18992232997077 E(N-2)).

Pedantic mode: I don't use Excel - I use LibreOffice.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 22
August 27th, 2020 at 10:57:00 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I believe space does.

If thereís a wall where space ends, then the question becomes: whatís behind it. Nothing is probably as abstract as infinity
Itís all about making that GTA
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 13
August 27th, 2020 at 10:59:23 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

If thereís a wall where space ends, then the question becomes: whatís behind it. Nothing is probably as abstract as infinity

Or it could be curved in a way that makes it finite.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Freddy911
Freddy911
  • Threads: 0
August 27th, 2020 at 11:59:44 AM permalink

You're welcome.

Funny how many paradoxes come up when it comes to infinity.

I still say infinity is more of a philosophical concept than a number and claim there is nothing in the physical universe that is infinite in nature.

I don't expect God or whatever to create a Heaven or whatever that no one will, ever, attain. How about a higher plane of thought? Who was it that said, "Some talk about what is, and, ask why, but, I talk about what isn't, and, ask, why not?" Maybe, a true love of numbers and music, life and soul, well, is what leads to a real and actual infinity. After all, we aren't here for someone else to "fill" us up.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1360
August 27th, 2020 at 4:42:02 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Good point. It might be that you wrap around, like a sphere. This is not a topic I can take very far.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 13
August 27th, 2020 at 9:03:31 PM permalink

Good point. It might be that you wrap around, like a sphere. This is not a topic I can take very far.

You could if you wanted to. Thereís a neat explication if quantum mechanics that reduces it to higher order statistical mechanics. Iíll bet you are fluent enough with the latter that you could dive pretty far into the latter.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.

• Jump to: