MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
January 27th, 2019 at 12:51:14 PM permalink
My wife and I have had the opportunity to eat Swiss cuisine from several different restaurants (NH, Or.) and we really enjoy it.

Any recommendations for outstanding Swiss cuisine in sin city?
"What, me worry?"
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
January 27th, 2019 at 2:37:54 PM permalink
I was in Switzerland and Paris for study abroad. They take their restaurant food seriously. Italy not really.
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
January 27th, 2019 at 6:50:26 PM permalink
Not really sure if there is even a Swiss restaurant in Vegas. You can get some decent German food at the Hofbrahaus and it is always a good time. Especially when the Wiz decides to compete in the mug challenge.😀
There is also a small place near Decatur and Sunset called Cafe Berlin. They have a very traditional German menu and is highly rated. Just a simple small family owned place.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 27th, 2019 at 7:25:38 PM permalink
I was in Zurich last March for three days and was never aware there was such a thing as Swiss cuisine. I had an interesting meal that was based around dipping things in melted cheese. My thanks to my host for that new experience. Otherwise, I don't remember many specifics. Switzerland is quite expensive so I didn't put a big emphasis on eating well while I was there. I was still on a high from the great food in Barcelona. I did have a great dinner in Bregenz Austria, because I begged my friend to take me across the border to cross another country off my list. The food was very German, which is fine as I love an authentic German meal.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 66
January 27th, 2019 at 7:39:48 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I was in Zurich last March for three days and was never aware there was such a thing as Swiss cuisine. I had an interesting meal that was based around dipping things in melted cheese. My thanks to my host for that new experience.Otherwise, I don't remember many specifics. Switzerland is quite expensive so I didn't put a big emphasis on eating well while I was there. I was still on a high from the great food in Barcelona. I did have a great dinner in Bregenz Austria, because I begged my friend to take me across the border to cross another country off my list. The food was very German, which is fine as I love an authentic German meal.

O.O That's just FONDUE! Not really all that interesting or new. O.O Not meant as a personal insult, I promise. Just my observation. :)
Last edited by: Nathan on Jan 27, 2019
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
January 27th, 2019 at 8:00:58 PM permalink
Cafe Berlin looks promising, thanks.

As far as whether there is such a thing as "Swiss cuisine," all I can say is that yesterday we had dinner at a Portland restaurant called "Swiss Hibiscus."

Here's a link to their website wherein they say they have "authentic Swiss cuisine."

I had rosti valaisanne as an appetizer and emince Zuricoise as my entree.

Whatever you want to call this style of food it really hit the spot, and I hope to find similar gustatory delights in sin city.
"What, me worry?"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 27th, 2019 at 8:23:13 PM permalink
Quote: Nathan

O.O That's just FONDUE! Not really all that interesting or new. O.O Not meant as a personal insult, I promise. Just not observation. :)

That's fair; I didn't describe it properly. Here is a picture of what the waitresses bring to you, as much as you want. The cheese has about the viscosity of Slime (that green stuff kids played with in the 70's).

To be honest, when I got my first plate I thought it looked like somebody puked on it.

As you can see from the picture, the table also had pickles, those little corns, and onions to dip in the cheese.

There were different kinds of cheese they bought you. BTW, they have more types of cheese in Switzerland that just the kind with holes.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 28th, 2019 at 5:40:36 AM permalink
It's sort of odd, in my experience, to have the cheese on your plate. It gets cold fast.

The idea used to be that each of you had a dipping fork and the cheese stayed in the pot. You speared a piece, dipped your food in the hot cheese, and either pulled it off onto your plate or pulled it off with your teeth, without touching the fork to your lips or mouth. And you kept eating bite by bite.

In the early 70s, fondue parties were all the rage. On ebay you'll see dozens of retro fondue sets in orange, avocado green, and red with matching long forks. There was a sterno jar in the pot frame.

I've never been to Switzerland, so defer to your host's method of eating that.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 29
January 28th, 2019 at 6:33:40 AM permalink
What you were eating was probably Raclette.
I was only in Switzerland once, back in the mid-80s. As I recall, 90% of the cuisine is either German, French, or Italian (ratio depends on which Canton you're in). Unlike fondue, which is French in origin, raclette is one of the few dishes that is 100% Swiss.

CORRECTION: I just checked on Wikipedia and I was wrong about the origin of fondue. Like raclette, it too was invented by the Swiss. I guess they are really in to melted cheese.
Last edited by: TumblingBones on Jan 28, 2019
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
January 28th, 2019 at 7:45:49 AM permalink
If fondue was invented by the Swiss then there is a place called The Melting Pot. Never been there though. I'm not a fan of fondue.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 28th, 2019 at 7:55:30 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

If fondue was invented by the Swiss then there is a place called The Melting Pot. Never been there though. I'm not a fan of fondue.

I enjoy the Melting Pot. It is a fun social experiment for small groups who are hungry. They now offer a grilling option along with the traditional fondue.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 28th, 2019 at 8:02:52 AM permalink
Parents used to be big on fondue in the early 1970s. A particularly vile dish was called Welsh Rabbit.
The Melting Pot is a fun spot. I've been there for late night dessert fondue.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 28th, 2019 at 8:06:50 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Parents used to be big on fondue in the early 1970s. A particularly vile dish was called Welsh Rabbit.
The Melting Pot is a fun spot. I've been there for late night dessert fondue.

Probably Welsh Rarebit, but could be rabbit. Hassenpfeffer is a German rabbit dish. FWIW.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 28th, 2019 at 8:27:11 AM permalink
I've seen it written as both rarebit and rabbit. It's a meatless dish, in any event.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
  • Jump to: