Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 122
July 30th, 2020 at 10:42:50 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

actually, you made a really good point there
I don't mean to criticize Mission
but all kinds of abbreviations are flooding message boards
I'd be willing to bet that half of the people reading these abbreviations don't know what they mean and don't bother to ask
just so much easier to remain in the dark

It's all good. I probably just started using TPW, without specifying at least in the first instance, out of old habit.
Vultures can't be choosers.
Mission146
Mission146
July 30th, 2020 at 10:53:31 AM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

I would have guessed corporate/business rates would have been the lowest (assuming your property offered/honored them).

----------

I think the one takeaway from this thread should be:

Hotels (large and small) actually prefer guests to book directly with them. Use this knowledge to your advantage.

Thanks to Mission for posting all this detailed information and the Wiz for starting the discussion.

The standard corporate rate was the same as the AAA rate. We did have lower rates for group bookings or for long stays for companies, in fact, that's pretty much the clientele that we most catered to. In any case, those kinds of rates could ONLY be negotiated through me and those contracts were done on an individual basis with the price based on a wide variety of factors. You're welcome!

That's why people would be surprised that almost all of the rooms had a full size refrigerator and freezer, but we didn't really do that out of concern for the regular guests. That was mainly for the workers that would be staying there for weeks at a time.

Sometimes our negative reviews would talk about, "Shady," people hanging around outside or grilling, but those guests probably didn't realize that they were usually talking about people who were in the area working.
Mission146
Mission146
July 30th, 2020 at 10:59:42 AM permalink
Quote: Johnzimbo

I bet Mission gets tilted when those Trivago commercials come on where the guys gets a room for $80 while the lady gets it for $100.

He wants to insert himself and say "you dummies...step over here and you both can get it for $65" 😄

LOL.

I haven't worked at the hotel since 2016, so it doesn't really matter much to me. Apparently, the place has gone even more in the crapper since I left. I know the current flag is a serious downgrade, but I also know the former franchisor wasn't doing much for us and the new one is much cheaper. You mainly just need a flag for online presence. The majority of our guests were either workers or walk-ins. If we were really busy, we'd actually prefer not to have travelers or, 'Regular,' guests.

In all honesty, the owner is almost completely out of control and most of my day was spent trying to run a hotel with reasonable cleanliness and service without him noticing. You also wanted to keep him away from the guests at all costs because he had a tendency of cussing them out if he felt like they were complaining or said something else that he didn't like.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 71
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
July 30th, 2020 at 2:15:27 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

In all honesty, the owner is almost completely out of control and most of my day was spent trying to run a hotel with reasonable cleanliness and service without him noticing. You also wanted to keep him away from the guests at all costs because he had a tendency of cussing them out if he felt like they were complaining or said something else that he didn't like.

By any chance was your owner of Middle Eastern descent? It seems like all of the mid to lower hotels I stay at have Middle Eastern franchisees. Do you know why that might be?
Living longer does not always infer +EV
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1325
Mission146
July 30th, 2020 at 2:29:12 PM permalink
How good is the AARP discount? It's pretty cheap to join, but I am not aware of any reason to do so, yet.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 71
Mission146
July 30th, 2020 at 2:38:40 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

How good is the AARP discount? It's pretty cheap to join, but I am not aware of any reason to do so, yet.

I have been a member for four years only because it is $16 a year. The only benefits I have used are the free previews to new movies coming out. They seem to have one or two a year where you get free tickets.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
Mission146
Mission146
July 30th, 2020 at 2:41:05 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

By any chance was your owner of Middle Eastern descent? It seems like all of the mid to lower hotels I stay at have Middle Eastern franchisees. Do you know why that might be?

Does India count as Middle East? I thought it counted as Asia. Most of them are Indian, from the ones I have seen.

I don't know why they got into that particular segment, or even the industry. I also know that all owners aren't like that because the other hotel I managed (when I was even younger and obviously less experienced) you'd barely even see the owner, despite the fact that he lived on property. As long as the revenues were as they should be, (improving) they pretty much just let me run everything property maintenance and guest related as I saw fit. They did all the financials and I had to get approval for any single purchase over a certain amount, but that was about it.

I say, "They," because they weren't really the owners. There was first one and then a different one, but it was actually owned by an investment company that was mostly family. These people were just called the, "Owner." The first guy got busy with all of the Subway locations he ran and didn't even have the time to handle the financials for the hotel--he was also tired of living there. He moved out and the second guy moved in, but like I said, they mostly just let me run it as I saw fit as long as everything was going well.
Mission146
Mission146
July 30th, 2020 at 2:43:53 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Depends. Some hotels do 10% and some treat it as a senior discount, which is sometimes more than that. It would be taken off of the, "Rack rate," but once again, people booking directly through me would get an even lower price.

I never really got very many people who spouted off about having AARP, not like the AAA people where it was always the first thing out of their mouths. I couldn't stand the AAA guests most of the time. They act like they're part of some exclusive club, despite the fact that I could pick up the phone and be a AAA member in five minutes.
USpapergames
USpapergames
  • Threads: 3
July 30th, 2020 at 4:21:57 PM permalink
Can someone help me? I just want to post my own form questions but I don't know how.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1325
Mission146
July 30th, 2020 at 4:53:11 PM permalink
Anyone remember the Player's Club International? Was anyone here a member?

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPuOWZgOj2I
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

• Jump to: