Poll

3 votes (23.07%)
10 votes (76.92%)

13 members have voted

SkittleCar1
SkittleCar1
  • Threads: 14
May 7th, 2014 at 6:49:36 AM permalink
I drive 76 miles round trip a day for me to go to and from work. Twenty extra miles sounds like very little to get upset over.
endermike
endermike
  • Threads: 7
May 7th, 2014 at 7:21:20 AM permalink
Are you going to still be the person who picks them up when their flight does come through? According to the OP, no. In that case I think I would be happy since:
1) Your efforts should be still appreciated by the friend
2) You saved a bit of driving

On the other hand, if you are still the person doing the pickup, I would be a bit annoyed. This is because odds are I have nothing high value to do with this new found time and so there is little value in what have gotten return to me. On the other side of the balance I am now going to need to clear some other time on another day to help this friend. I would be annoyed. Not a lot, but definitely annoyed.
MrWarmth
MrWarmth
  • Threads: 15
May 7th, 2014 at 7:31:59 AM permalink
I can't read the OP's mind but the thread feels a little like he's saying that, if you feel annoyed, then you haven't internalized the concept of sunk cost. I'm not sure this can ever be said, and I would disagree that a perfectly normal emotional reaction should go away just because you understand the "science" of the condition.

Say you're riding a bus and you trip over someone and fall on the floor. You're not mad, you're embarrassed. Say that someone tripped you. Now, you're at least annoyed. Either way, you're on the floor. If the floor is where you are (sunk cost), why is it surprising that one set of circumstances embarrasses you and the other annoys you (at least)?

This is not to say that what you know can't help you control your emotions. For example, losing a bet is always a little annoying/disappointing. But knowing the "science" of the mathematics and the entertainment value helps you take it in stride. But that doesn't make the disappointment go away completely, and it doesn't mean you're immature/uneducated/whatever because you had that micro-moment of disappointment.

In other words, with all due respect to the OP, I think it's a very bad dichotomy to draw.
JoePloppy
JoePloppy
  • Threads: 1
May 7th, 2014 at 8:00:48 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Is this seriously being discussed? Sounds like OP is trying to get a flame war started. Just wait.

To me, it sounds like OP was the one who made the late text.
2/3
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
May 7th, 2014 at 12:20:18 PM permalink
Quote: JoePloppy

Is this seriously being discussed? Sounds like OP is trying to get a flame war started. Just wait.

Haha. This was a purely hypothetical thought.

Anyway -- Obviously it is hard to separate all the human/relationship factors that come in with this question. I just wanted to dial down to the reality of being in the airport and receiving that text. Assuming there was no malice or stupidity on the part of the the texting friend, a lot of people would still be annoyed they made a trip for no reason. But in reality the flight cancelation saves you time, so you shouldn't be annoyed, at least in my opinion.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 79
May 7th, 2014 at 12:31:28 PM permalink
I also would be annoyed at my friend for not having let me know the flight was cancelled. However, if the plane was in the air and diverted to another airport and your friend couldn't notify you because he was in the air. I think that makes the OP's question much better.

I would be happy to not have to fulfill the remainder of the journey.
Order from chaos
ChampagneFireball
ChampagneFireball
  • Threads: 16
May 7th, 2014 at 1:50:34 PM permalink
I would be annoyed I wasn't going to see my friend. It is a friend that I'm picking up at the airport after all.

But let's say instead, I'm being paid cash to pick up someone I don't know at the airport and drive them somewhere 10 miles out of the way from where I would normally go. When I get to the airport, I get a text saying "customer is a no show, keep the cash", I'm delighted to have save the time, gas, and wear and tear on my vehicle.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
  • Threads: 24
May 7th, 2014 at 2:17:14 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

Suppose the moment you arrive at the airport, a genie appears to you and says you have two options

1. See a text from your friend saying he isn't there and you don't have to pick him up

2. Proceed as planned and pick up your friend

Which would you choose?

Easily I pick the text. Now I can't be mad at the friend and I can thank the genie.
10 eyes for an eye. 10 teeth for a tooth. 10 bucks for a buck?! Hit the bad guys where it hurts the most: the face and the wallet.
Canyonero
Canyonero
  • Threads: 40
May 7th, 2014 at 2:28:01 PM permalink
Quote: JoePloppy

HAHA soda, he is totally on to you! Trying to convince your friend to not be mad at you! with questionable logic! don't even try to deny it!
kubikulann
kubikulann
  • Threads: 27
May 16th, 2014 at 10:11:05 AM permalink
Quote: ChampagneFireball

I would be annoyed I wasn't going to see my friend. It is a friend that I'm picking up at the airport after all.

But let's say instead, I'm being paid cash to pick up someone I don't know at the airport and drive them somewhere 10 miles out of the way from where I would normally go. When I get to the airport, I get a text saying "customer is a no show, keep the cash", I'm delighted to have save the time, gas, and wear and tear on my vehicle.

Exactly !

If I accepted, it was because the pleasure of spending time with my friend (and giving a service) was to me worth more than the cost. Think of it as paying a fee for the pleasure. Now, I paid part of the fee and am not getting what I bought.
If you think "sunk cost" it is even worst, since you lose something of value greater than 2*A+2*H (A=trip to airport, H= trip from airport to friend's house) but save only 2*H.

I like my friends better than my gas...
Reperiet qui quaesiverit

• Jump to: