Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
December 10th, 2010 at 9:45:38 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

It also gets back to the debate about discouraging preventive care [and tests], to go on and have the insurance pay zillions for something that was preventable.

I actually don't know a lot about what is common in health care plans -- I mostly only pay attention to the plan that I have had for quite a while. That one has terms that include a moderate amount of no-deductable, no-copay preventive care each year. I assume they believe that this encourages people to get exams and do other things that help avoid the very expensive after-the-fact treatments for things that don't get diagnosed in time. Isn't this the way that most plans have been moving in recent years? Because of age, I am now starting a new plan, and I have to figure out just what the new terms really are.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
December 10th, 2010 at 2:52:33 PM permalink

to go on and have the insurance pay zillions for something that was preventable.

The older I get I wonder how much is really truly 'preventable', besides never smoking. So much depends on your genes and family history, what you were born with, that preventing something should start when you're about 5 years old. Even being fat isn't as bad as they thought. Recent long term studies are showing fat people are often healthier than skinny people, given the same variables. What the medical profession doesn't know would fill an encyclopedia.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 10th, 2010 at 2:56:45 PM permalink
What they do know fills an encyclopedia as well :)

Genes tend to show a propensity for certain ailments rather than a definite occurrence, and then preventative steps maybe more effect for that purpose. A lot of Genetic/epiGenetic/proteomics research is all on that area, and that's what makes it hard... your dealing with probabilities and tendencies than anything hard and fast.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
December 10th, 2010 at 3:52:32 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

The older I get I wonder how much is really truly 'preventable', besides never smoking. So much depends on your genes and family history, what you were born with, that preventing something should start when you're about 5 years old. Even being fat isn't as bad as they thought. Recent long term studies are showing fat people are often healthier than skinny people, given the same variables. What the medical profession doesn't know would fill an encyclopedia.

I have to agree you can't prevent much, at least not directly. You obviously shouldn't smoke other than a few cigars a year at special occasions. After that is seems to come to not doing things to excess. Having buffalo wings and a draft beer once a week or so and you will be fine no matter how "bad" they are for you. Eat them daily and you are asking for trouble. You don't need to be a gym rat but you should have one activity, even walking, for 30 or so minutes a day. Whatever.

Perhaps the best advice is quit listening to the fads and experts and use common sense.

BTW: For the record I wouldn't pay $1,000 if the doctor was 98% certain it was roids. If it lasted for more time than I was comfortable with then I would have the test.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 163
December 10th, 2010 at 4:34:44 PM permalink
Just off hand, I'd rather do what I can to prevent hemorrhoids than go through a hemorrhoidectomy procedure!

Hey, medicine has made progress. But there's so much popularized information that it can be really confusing trying to sort things out. So many diet books have been published, it's amazing anyone has any clue at all at this point.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
December 10th, 2010 at 4:40:35 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

So many diet books have been published, it's amazing anyone has any clue at all at this point.

Some guy just lost weight eating nothing but potatoes for 2 months. Some guy a few months ago lost weight eating nothing but Big Macs and fries.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
December 10th, 2010 at 5:05:18 PM permalink

Some guy just lost weight eating nothing but potatoes for 2 months. Some guy a few months ago lost weight eating nothing but Big Macs and fries.

On the other hand, Morgan Spurlock ate nothing but Big Macs and fries and got ill, so it's all a question of moderation. On the other other hand, the Nenet in Siberia eat nothing but raw, frozen reindeer meat for months at a time (because there's nothing else around), and they're remarkably healthy.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 10th, 2010 at 5:19:41 PM permalink

My work colleague runs Iron Man Marathons on a diet that's at least 1/3 MacDonalds... however, most of the meals he has there are the healthier options.

Diet books are faddish and mostly pseudo-science on stilts (Gillian McKeith is one of the worst offenders, but it goes across the board).
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
December 10th, 2010 at 8:09:24 PM permalink
Huh? I looked at the title of this thread and thought "gambling with your life" was an interesting topic. But I look at the last few posts and it's about eating nothing but potatoes, Big Macs, or raw reindeer meat. I guess that's what suspensions do to you.
dudestupid
dudestupid
  • Threads: 23
December 10th, 2010 at 10:13:06 PM permalink

It also gets back to the debate about discouraging preventive care [and tests], to go on and have the insurance pay zillions for something that was preventable.

But, from the insurance companies standpoint, it actually doesn't make sense. Chances are, by the time you actually do develop a preventable colon cancer, some other company will be insuring you.

• Jump to: