mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
October 31st, 2010 at 7:24:51 PM permalink
I've had a couple of my regularly scheduled colds this year, which always happens when a new sea of microbes, er, group of students, hits town. They haven't been severe--I get the usual cycle of sore throat, congestion, etc.--but the infection always lingers, and my sinuses go drip-drip-drip into my lungs for what has been, this time, a week. I can't lay down, because I always start coughing. I'm a bit tired of sleeping in my chair. The only beneficiary is my cat, who has the entire bed to herself. She sometimes takes pity on me and sleeps in my lap, but then I start coughing and wake her up, and she gives me a dirty look and goes back to her, er, my bed.

So my cat would like to know if anyone has had any luck in fighting this sort of problem with over-the-counter meds, and if so, what kind. I haven't tried that Mucinex stuff yet, but I might give it a shot. What has NOT worked is any kind of pseudoephedrin, or NyQuil and its variants. In point of fact, no cold medication I've ever taken below the level of prescription antibiotics has ever had the slightest effect.

I'm actually considering chewing whole cloves of garlic, or gargling with chili pepper extract, or something else drastic. If there was a medication that would help this, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 31st, 2010 at 7:47:30 PM permalink
Two things:

The past few years I've been using Cold-Eeze (zinc lozenges) right when the sore throat starts. I'm not sure why they work, but they do for me. The side-effects of the zinc, a minor upset stomach, are nothing compared to having the cold symptoms run their course in a few days.

I'm not one to take lots of medicine, and I usually let things just get over with, but I had a persistent cough two years ago that just didn't go away. I got a prescription for Mucinex-D (with actual pseudoephedrine) and the cough went away in less than 2 days.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Asswhoopermcdaddy
Asswhoopermcdaddy
  • Threads: 87
October 31st, 2010 at 8:05:10 PM permalink
Hello Mkl654321,

I've got similar issues, but happily feeling better now. When I have the post-nasal drips, sore throat, and chest fatigue; I do the following.

1.) Keep well hydrated including drinking 1/2 gallon of orange juice w/ pulp per day for a week or until I feel better. (mega dose of natural nutrients)

2.) I take Theraflu night time cold / flu + sore throat. They make a ton of varieties, but you need to get the one with the sore throat (ease the itching and relieve any fever.....helps you sleep and makes you feel like g-o-d for a few hours if need be).

3.) I take Sudafed (the brand name version) to tackle the post-nasal drip (post nasal drip can cause infection especially in the lungs). This will also help you from gagging while you try to sleep; you'll dry up the mucus.

4.) I'll take antibiotics depending on how severe my cold cycle comes (severe sore throat, presence of colored phelgm or blood). This is hotly debated by doctors as colds are viral infections. The antibiotics is for bacterial infections. Post secondary infections from a cold however can create lingering problems. Bronchitis anyone?

5.) If the first 3 do not help and you feel like your immune system is being overrun, SEE A DOCTOR.

This is my routine and it works for me. I'm just overcoming a cold myself and feeling a whole lot better. Feel better sir!
mkl654321
mkl654321
October 31st, 2010 at 8:06:23 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Two things:

The past few years I've been using Cold-Eeze (zinc lozenges) right when the sore throat starts. I'm not sure why they work, but they do for me. The side-effects of the zinc, a minor upset stomach, are nothing compared to having the cold symptoms run their course in a few days.

I'm not one to take lots of medicine, and I usually let things just get over with, but I had a persistent cough two years ago that just didn't go away. I got a prescription for Mucinex-D (with actual pseudoephedrine) and the cough went away in less than 2 days.

The prescription cough medicine that I got with my antibiotics contained guaifenesin and codeine; Mucinex-D contains guaifenesin and psuedoephedrine. What do you mean by "real" pseudoephedrine? (That sounds kind of like an oxymoron--or is there such a thing as pseudopseudoephedrine??) And is Muc-D available in different strengths--prescription and otherwise?

The zinc lozenges have headed off colds for me, too--I should probably carry some around as if you don't use them at the first sign of the sore throat, they're not any help.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
mkl654321
mkl654321
October 31st, 2010 at 8:10:44 PM permalink
Quote: Asswhoopermcdaddy

Hello Mkl654321,

4.) I'll take antibiotics depending on how severe my cold cycle comes (severe sore throat, presence of colored phelgm or blood). This is hotly debated by doctors as colds are viral infections. The antibiotics is for bacterial infections. Post secondary infections from a cold however can create lingering problems. Bronchitis anyone?

5.) If the first 3 do not help and you feel like your immune system is being overrun, SEE A DOCTOR.

This is my routine and it works for me. I'm just overcoming a cold myself and feeling a whole lot better. Feel better sir!

Thank you, especially for the advice about the secondary infections. I seem to fight off the actual cold pretty quickly in most cases, but what linger are the damn bronchial infections--as Sally, Charlie Brown's little sister, said, that's what killed the dinosaur, the bronchitis--it coughed a lot.

As soon as the Giants win, I'll go reload with some OJ.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
October 31st, 2010 at 8:44:49 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

The prescription cough medicine that I got with my antibiotics contained guaifenesin and codeine; Mucinex-D contains guaifenesin and psuedoephedrine. What do you mean by "real" pseudoephedrine? (That sounds kind of like an oxymoron--or is there such a thing as pseudopseudoephedrine??) And is Muc-D available in different strengths--prescription and otherwise?

The zinc lozenges have headed off colds for me, too--I should probably carry some around as if you don't use them at the first sign of the sore throat, they're not any help.

Pseudoephedrine is truly an over-the-counter drug. It's behind the pharma counter and they check your ID when they dispense it. (it's a necessary ingredient in crystal meth) Most in-the-aisle drugs contain phenylephedrine, a/k/a "fake pseudoephedrine."

I highly recommend against taking Mucinex-D. Pseudoephedrine is a decongestant. It dries you up. Guaifenesin is an expectorant. It thins your mucus. It's the opposite effect. Taking any drug that contains both is only marginally effective and exposes you to possible side-effects from both drugs. The choice to make here is whether you'd rather feel better or get better. The Pseudoephedrine will make you feel better, but may actually prolong the cold/infection (you drain less, so the germs never leave). The guaifenesin will make you drain faster, which can be pretty miserable, but you'll also heal faster.

So-called "extra-strength" Mucinex is now available OTC, but not with the pseudoephedrine included (if you wanted to, you could take a pill of each drug). There is no stronger prescription dosage available anymore.

Also, If you have any allergies at all, do not discount the benefit of taking Claritin and/or Zyrtec during your cold. It'll remove the allergy-caused symptoms, which can really help sometimes.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 31st, 2010 at 11:48:10 PM permalink
I own over 15 handguns. In this case, my .38 silver plated S&W police special would do the trick. Its a revolver and you can cock it very dramatically before you fire. You're welcome.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
mkl654321
mkl654321
November 1st, 2010 at 12:16:15 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I own over 15 handguns. In this case, my .38 silver plated S&W police special would do the trick. Its a revolver and you can cock it very dramatically before you fire. You're welcome.

Wow, what a complete asshole thing to say.

You do seem like the sort of guy who would own his own private arsenal. Does it help your sense of manhood?
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 1st, 2010 at 1:49:34 AM permalink

Wow, what a complete asshole thing to say.

Ok OK, the .38 was a bad idea. I have a nice small 9mm, fits in the palm of your hand. Happy now? Geez, nobody has a sense of yuma anymore..
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 1st, 2010 at 7:58:55 AM permalink

Over fifteen? Your not sure exactly how many?!
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
November 1st, 2010 at 9:51:39 AM permalink
Every year, I would get this horrendous cough that would last from November to February. It felt like a dry cough at first, but sometimes would be coupled with mucous and phlegm. It kept me from sleeping, and sitting in a chair propped up helped, but not completely.

I thought Mucinex would break it up, but no good. I was put on some very strong antibiotics (Levaquin was round one, something stronger was round two, can't think of the name), but that didn't clear it up either.

Turns out it was allergies and asthma. They did testing, found out I was allergic to local trees, and susceptible in the fall. They put me on Advair, a manual inhalant asthma medicine, as well as a prescription nasal spray. After a few days, the cough subsided.

I haven't gotten the cough or symptoms this year, but I am prepared with the Advair. You may want to get tested for allergies, or asthma related to allergies.

Good luck, feel better.
-Dween!
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
November 1st, 2010 at 10:05:01 AM permalink
I have heard from saline rinse users, that they are very happy with the results. They describe it as taking some getting used to (I don't use this regimen myself), but it has been effective in preventing them from getting infected.

Here is a WebMD article that seems to support their experiences: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus-pain-pressure-9/sinus-congestion

Hope you're feeling better soon!
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
dudestupid
dudestupid
  • Threads: 23
November 1st, 2010 at 11:12:01 AM permalink

What do you mean by "real" pseudoephedrine? (That sounds kind of like an oxymoron--or is there such a thing as pseudopseudoephedrine??)

OTC sudafed was pseudoephedrine. When meth cooks started using it, a lot of states put it behind the counter. So they came out with "Sudafed PE" which is actually a less effective medication called phenylephrine, so they would still have something OTC available.
dudestupid
dudestupid
  • Threads: 23
November 1st, 2010 at 11:24:01 AM permalink
Note: I am a doctor, but I am not *your* doctor. This is no substitute for professional medical advice.

The most common causes for coughs lasting greater than 2 weeks are:

1. Allergic rhinitis and sinusitis. Claritin and Zyrtec can help. The saline rinses mentioned above (especially a Neti pot) can be very helpful. They can be used daily and clear out the mucus and physically wash out the pollen and dust. Prescription nasal sprays like Flonase and Nasonex can be very helpful.

2. Bacterial sinusitis: Needs to be diagnosed by a doctor and treated with antibiotics.

3. Asthma: Mentioned above, this has to be treated with prescription inhalers. It's actually a similar problem to allergic rhinitis, but in the lungs. Often people will have this as a kid, grow out of it, forget about, and have it come back in middle age. (Especially if they smoke)

5. Acid reflux: You usually have some symptoms of heartburn, or acid in the throat. But sometimes cough is the only symptom. You can try OTC Zyrtec or Prilosec, if you think this is going on. But if the diagnosis isn't obvious, you should see your doctor.

6. Chronic bronchitis: This is generally only in smokers or people with chronic chemical exposures. Its treatment is similar to asthma, but tends to be more difficult.
mkl654321
mkl654321
November 1st, 2010 at 11:36:41 AM permalink

Ok OK, the .38 was a bad idea. I have a nice small 9mm, fits in the palm of your hand. Happy now? Geez, nobody has a sense of yuma anymore..

I have a sense of humor, a very good one, in fact, and while this may be difficult for you to understand, I still don't think a suggestion to shoot myself in the head is funny.

In the future, if you can't offer any constructive advice, then perhaps you should consider simply keeping your mouth shut.
thlf
thlf
  • Threads: 16
November 1st, 2010 at 12:05:16 PM permalink
The best thing I have tried both in prevention and recovery has been airborne. I know it is controversial but it definitely works for me. As soon as I feel a tickle coming on I take it. I have not had a cold or flu in two years. I never get a flu shot either.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 1st, 2010 at 3:52:06 PM permalink

I still don't think a suggestion to shoot myself in the head is funny.

Who said head? Be original. I think its pretty funny. "Man shoots himself over sore throat." Sounds funny to me..
  • Jump to: