beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
Thanks for this post from:
Moscaonenickelmiracle
August 19th, 2018 at 11:45:03 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

And I have not been trying to join the crowd in dissing car dealers in general. (My upstairs neighbor worked for a car dealership some time ago, and he told me he could give me some advice on negotiations. He offered the help because he claimed that car dealers and their techniques are the most dishonest that you will ever encounter. I bought the vehicle without getting his advice any further than asking whether he liked the car he was driving, and that was because it was one of the models we were initially considering.)

I was just relating a tale about this recent incident in which I think one specific dealer made a few, perhaps-minor errors and a couple of big ones, all on one specific transaction that involved me. I realize that if I had read the documents more carefully, demanded copies of all documents at the moment I signed them, and verified such info as VIN and odometer rather than taking the dealer's word and trusting them, then almost everything could have been straightened out on the day of closing. In my previous post, I was just asking whether new car buyers generally review the dealer's work/info that carefully.

On the other hand, I don't know what I could have done to prevent them from processing my check twice.

Well, Doc, I do verify the VIN and odometer, fwiw. Especially on a car that isn't on the lot when I buy it.

I still think they gave you very bad service and tried to cover up rather than lose the sale. So I put it on the dealer.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 49
August 19th, 2018 at 12:21:16 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Dealers make money on the financing they want the highest rate on the loan that they can get you to agree to. And they want to deliver the cheapest car they can get to meet the commitment.

So why do so many dealers offer 0% financing?

To me that is the only reason why I'd consider purchasing new.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 179
August 19th, 2018 at 12:25:52 PM permalink

And I have not been trying to join the crowd in dissing car dealers in general. (My upstairs neighbor worked for a car dealership some time ago, and he told me he could give me some advice on negotiations. He offered the help because he claimed that car dealers and their techniques are the most dishonest that you will ever encounter. I bought the vehicle without getting his advice any further than asking whether he liked the car he was driving, and that was because it was one of the models we were initially considering.)

I was just relating a tale about this recent incident in which I think one specific dealer made a few, perhaps-minor errors and a couple of big ones, all on one specific transaction that involved me. I realize that if I had read the documents more carefully, demanded copies of all documents at the moment I signed them, and verified such info as VIN and odometer rather than taking the dealer's word and trusting them, then almost everything could have been straightened out on the day of closing. In my previous post, I was just asking whether new car buyers generally review the dealer's work/info that carefully.

On the other hand, I don't know what I could have done to prevent them from processing my check twice.

Invariably, deals collect errors. Errors clump. They never get spread evenly.
NO KILL I
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 224
August 19th, 2018 at 1:12:18 PM permalink

Other than the facts that I:
(1) accepted what the dealer had put in writing,
(2) did not examine the new car closely enough to catch that the VIN had changed, and
(3) did not verify the odometer reading before signing and agreeing with the dealer's figure,

can you tell me what parts of the problems that I described were caused by me?

Just curious on this, when buying a brand new car, do you folks always verify for yourself that the VIN plate on the vehicle matches the one that you were told you were buying? For a new car purchase, do most buyers go out and check the odometer before signing the slip to accept the dealer's figure? Maybe I'm just gullible.

Didnt day you. I was replying to a general post. I posted earlier imho the dealer was selling or dealing with two similar cars.

Ive only bought new once in my life. That time it had about 12 miles, most from my test drive.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
August 19th, 2018 at 2:07:40 PM permalink
I rather just pay someone to deal with all the car buying BS that seems to come up when going to the dealership. Might just pay Maxpen in silver bullets and chinese prison cards to go haggle for me
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 45
August 19th, 2018 at 2:19:40 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

I rather just pay someone to deal with all the car buying BS that seems to come up when going to the dealership. Might just pay Maxpen in silver bullets and chinese prison cards to go haggle for me

I think I'd get AxelWolf to be my negotiator, expect he'd get me a top of the range model at base model price and still get a free matching vehicle for himself $:o)
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
August 19th, 2018 at 2:24:59 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

Sounds like a plan. Minus the prison cards. I don't need ZenKing for this mission.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
August 19th, 2018 at 8:04:12 PM permalink

Other than the facts that I:
(1) accepted what the dealer had put in writing,
(2) did not examine the new car closely enough to catch that the VIN had changed, and
(3) did not verify the odometer reading before signing and agreeing with the dealer's figure,

can you tell me what parts of the problems that I described were caused by me?

Just curious on this, when buying a brand new car, do you folks always verify for yourself that the VIN plate on the vehicle matches the one that you were told you were buying? For a new car purchase, do most buyers go out and check the odometer before signing the slip to accept the dealer's figure? Maybe I'm just gullible.

Itís not on you Doc. Even if you had caught the VIN mix-up, the car on your original deal was already gone, and was not coming back.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci

• Jump to: