Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
August 17th, 2018 at 9:58:44 AM permalink
I have experienced a dealer deliver a new car with a different trim package than what was agreed on. It turned into a pretty big brewhaha.

The inventory system has a lag built into it. There could have been another customer closing on the same model as you at another dealership, so your original car was sent there since they were closer, or not out of town. The dealer expected that another model with that trim package would be available by the time you came in to close, so win-win (for the dealer and the other guy).

Note that the Honda dealership probably doesn’t handle the financing. There is a separate subsidiary of the corporation that works out the payments for the deals fronted by the salesmen. Taxes and the various fees all have to be finalized, so the final price on the contract can vary from the salesman’s “drive-off” by even a few dollars. But double charging your account is a human error. The e-check system freaks out when large sums are involved. Usually, phone calls verifying transactions are required. I would assume the error would have been caught there. Your state may have consumer protection laws that provide remedies to you in this circumstance, including penalties to the overcharging company. It is unfortunate that they tried to cover the mistake by writing a check rather than sending the credit electronically (and incurring a fee). If it’s good one way, it ought to work the other way too. On the other hand, you would need to authorize them to access your account to make the deposit, and I don’t know how you feel about them monkeying around in there when they already left it in shambles once.

I don’t know if the laws where you live are different, but it is my understanding that a car can still be considered “new” even with some mileage on it. This accounts for moving it around, and test drives, but there is a limit. I wonder if the 80 mile figure on the statement is that max where you live? Beyond that limit they can’t call the car “new”, but I don’t think it would have to be labled “used” either.

I hope you get something for your trouble. Free oil changes or wiper blades at least.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
August 17th, 2018 at 11:00:56 AM permalink
Car salesman are worse than HR
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 178
August 17th, 2018 at 11:36:17 AM permalink
Mistakes happen.
While shopping, I put a deposit down on a car, via credit card. I wasn't sure I wanted the car but was told that to negotiate the best price I had to put a fully refundable $500 deposit down. Once I did, the attitude changed completely. Turned out the price was only if I financed through their lender, where I was a cash buyer. Their financing was a few points higher, but I was told the exact figures wouldn't be available until I was ready to sign. There was another problem with something and I decided to bail.
They sent me to another person, supposedly to authorize the refund, but he was a high pressure closer intent on closing the deal.
It was really frustrating and argumentative, but I left with the promise the money would be refunded overnight. It wasn't.
Two phone calls and I'm told the refund has been issued. A call to the CC company says differently. More arguing and frustration.
They insist the money was refunded, I'm showing them the account on line with a debit, but no credit. They issue a new refund. We part on less than pleasant conditions. Let's just say we won't be exchanging Christmas Cards.
Several days later, I get a phone call from the dealership. I'm thinking it's an apology but it's a low level employee telling me they accidentally refunded the card twice and the company will now be requesting a refund. The conversation was going nowhere so I just hung up.
In my personal experience,most car salesmen stink. Car shopping is really a hunt for a good salesman. They aren't as rare as a unicorn, but they are as elusive as snipes. When I finally found a good salesman, he didn't have a car I wanted.
Six months goes by and Mazda redid the Six line. I'm impressed with the new design and then I see a red one on the road. I never cared for red cars but Mazda had a shade call Soul Red that made my day.
Called the salesman, asked if he had any red ones. More frustration as all the early releases were the Grand Touring package that added $3500 to the price for a gazillion gadgets I didn't need, heated seats, 24 speakers, XM radio., etc.
He says it will be at least two months before any red Sport models are due. I tell him I want the first red Sport package he gets and will give him a deposit. A month later, I have my car. Four months later, I got a Christmas card.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
August 17th, 2018 at 12:20:59 PM permalink
I order a car fairly well loaded from a dealership.

The car arrived and I went to pick it up.

The car was not on the lot. The owner's wife liked the look of it when it came off the truck and decided to use it.

It had 199 miles on it when it got back to the dealership.

Last time I bought a car from a personal friend--though he had nothing to do with that, I did not want to walk away from a deal with him.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanks for this post from:
djatc
August 17th, 2018 at 12:46:42 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Mistakes happen.
While shopping, I put a deposit down on a car, via credit card. I wasn't sure I wanted the car but was told that to negotiate the best price I had to put a fully refundable $500 deposit down. Once I did, the attitude changed completely. Turned out the price was only if I financed through their lender, where I was a cash buyer. Their financing was a few points higher, but I was told the exact figures wouldn't be available until I was ready to sign. There was another problem with something and I decided to bail.
They sent me to another person, supposedly to authorize the refund, but he was a high pressure closer intent on closing the deal.
It was really frustrating and argumentative, but I left with the promise the money would be refunded overnight. It wasn't.
Two phone calls and I'm told the refund has been issued. A call to the CC company says differently. More arguing and frustration.
They insist the money was refunded, I'm showing them the account on line with a debit, but no credit. They issue a new refund. We part on less than pleasant conditions. Let's just say we won't be exchanging Christmas Cards.
Several days later, I get a phone call from the dealership. I'm thinking it's an apology but it's a low level employee telling me they accidentally refunded the card twice and the company will now be requesting a refund. The conversation was going nowhere so I just hung up.
In my personal experience,most car salesmen stink. Car shopping is really a hunt for a good salesman. They aren't as rare as a unicorn, but they are as elusive as snipes. When I finally found a good salesman, he didn't have a car I wanted.
Six months goes by and Mazda redid the Six line. I'm impressed with the new design and then I see a red one on the road. I never cared for red cars but Mazda had a shade call Soul Red that made my day.
Called the salesman, asked if he had any red ones. More frustration as all the early releases were the Grand Touring package that added $3500 to the price for a gazillion gadgets I didn't need, heated seats, 24 speakers, XM radio., etc.
He says it will be at least two months before any red Sport models are due. I tell him I want the first red Sport package he gets and will give him a deposit. A month later, I have my car. Four months later, I got a Christmas card.

You actually missed a really great opportunity here. Dealers that are willing to negotiate vehicle price for financing terms are the best when buying a vehicle. Even better if they apply the same to extended warranties, their Gap insurance, etc. I look for this when buying vehicles. I raped Towbin Dodge in Henderson this way. I managed to get a 40k Dodge Charger R/T and a 37.5K Ram Diesel out the door with taxes and first year taxes paid at 58k my cost out of pocket. If the deal would have stayed as originally structured my cost over 7 years would have been north of a 100k out of pocket. If I had simply portrayed myself as a cash buyer I would not have gotten the deal done for less than 65k most likely 68k and I most certainly would not have had my first year registration fees paid which was worth approximately 1k.
Dealerships make very little on the vehicle itself. Most of their money is made in the finance office thru the marking up of interest rates, warranty protection plan sales, gap insurance plan sales, and other add ons. The key to screwing them is to know exactly what they have to work with. I.e. Warranty plans usually only cost the dealership 40-60 % of what they are selling them for. You should know what your market interest rate is based on your credit number. Then you can figure what the terms they are trying to sell you is worth to them. The longer the term the more it is worth to them. Gap insurance is another 50% markup item based on their first quote.
So what I do is become there dream huckleberry. I have no concern over monthly payments or any other nonsense. The only concern I have is the bottom line vehicle price. I don't want the regular extended warranty for 2k I want the one they are afraid to pitch at 4k and other such things. I think you can see where I am going with this. As this stuff gets sold I am continually enthusiastic about the offering but looking for a better vehicle price to get in total agreement.😉 You have to play them like they are trying to play you and let their greed take over. Example normal 2 k warranty means 1k in dealership pocket. 4K warranty means 2.5k in dealership pocket. I really want the 4 k one but need a 1000 off the vehicle in order to make it happen. On and on this game goes. I usually start reeling in the salesman at 2 in the afternoon and myself the huckleberry gets turned over to the finance guy at around 4 as the biggest lollipop that ever walked thru the door. Then it's on and we are not finishing until around 10PM, but the guy is going to go home thinking he just made a down payment on a swimming pool tonight. He is going to be promising the salesman dinner for sticking thru to the end after closing and the detailer out back as well.
The shit is going to hit the fan with the general manager when I come back in the next day to pay off the contract minus the warranty, Gap insurance, etc. and they realize they are thousands below what they paid for the vehicles. You can only do this once per dealership and really have to have someone helping you that has not been led down this path before. I guess you can say that I am now 86'd at the home of the Blue Genie. Desert 215 is my next new target as soon as they get these Diesel Jeeps readily available.😃
Last edited by: MaxPen on Aug 17, 2018
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 21
August 17th, 2018 at 12:53:27 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

I order a car fairly well loaded from a dealership.

The car arrived and I went to pick it up.

The car was not on the lot. The owner's wife liked the look of it when it came off the truck and decided to use it.

It had 199 miles on it when it got back to the dealership.

Last time I bought a car from a personal friend--though he had nothing to do with that, I did not want to walk away from a deal with him.

Friend or no, I would ask for so amount rebate for that. It seems petty, but it is the principle of the thing.
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
August 17th, 2018 at 1:02:19 PM permalink
MaxPen is 100% right when dealing with dealerships. Never be a cash buyer.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
August 17th, 2018 at 1:19:42 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

😃

Can we get a hall of fame post nomination for this TLDR I actually read?
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
billryan
billryan
August 17th, 2018 at 1:48:46 PM permalink
It was about five years ago, so I may well be mistaken but I think the loan contract had a pretty large early payoff penalty. I think it was $995 for a first year payoff.
I was also pretty naive at the time having only bought two new cars in some thirty years.
billryan
billryan
August 17th, 2018 at 1:51:51 PM permalink
Simple solution appears to be to hire Max to do my negotiations. I wonder if buyers agents is a big business. Sounds like I could have used one.

• Jump to: