billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 202
May 13th, 2020 at 7:47:10 AM permalink
Just because you are paranoid, that doesn't mean you don't have a balrog in your woodpile.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 22
May 13th, 2020 at 9:27:27 AM permalink
Whatever happened to listening to the news or opinions on news sites and then evaluating what you heard?
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 202
May 13th, 2020 at 9:54:41 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

Whatever happened to listening to the news or opinions on news sites and then evaluating what you heard?

It's so much easier to let people tell you what you just heard.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
May 13th, 2020 at 5:10:56 PM permalink
Quote: marketwatch

Dow Jones Futures Rise On Cisco Earnings, Mastercard 'Normalization' After Coronavirus Stock Market Rally Sick Day

Sick day? Does this have to be more obvious? Even though I have my long game plan outlook, it;s enough to scare me.

Added: Do you see how the news influences things?
You can say we already knew, and we did. Except I don't think people drive the markets, it's the computers. The HFT computer algorithms see this and immediately have a plan once it breaks. Then the HFT reacts to the people reacting. It's sick IMO.

Quote: Yahoo Finance

Stock market news live updates: Stocks fall after Powell warns of 'lasting damage' due to coronavirus

Emily McCormick
Reporter
Yahoo FinanceMay 13, 2020

Nobody even knows who is really investing in the stock market buying these stocks. As I said, this drives me nuts. Video explaining the idea nobody knows who is buying stocks and he thinks it's "fishy".
Last edited by: onenickelmiracle on May 13, 2020
I am a robot.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 56
May 13th, 2020 at 8:25:34 PM permalink
MSNBC used to spend far too much time reacting to the blowhards on Fox News. I'm glad they've stopped doing that for the most part and did their own research. (Just heard a shoutout for a nearby big city on MSNBC and the sound cut out for a minute. That's usually what happens during coverage of nuclear accidents.)
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
May 17th, 2020 at 1:04:22 AM permalink
I'm surprised Wired now is asking for a paid subscription, the internet isn't going to be what it used to be. Too many sources want money, and too much money imo. Now the newspapers are finally disappearing they are pulling the trigger. $4 a month doesn't seem like much, but you can only really get so much out of it. I'd rather have a broad ala carte system where anyone can participate to provide content. That never worked though, think it was called micro-pricing where this web page costs $.01, etc.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Thanks for this post from:
Joeman
May 20th, 2020 at 10:07:22 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

This is a power you think you have but you actually do not. Psychology and money are way against you.
I am a robot.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 228
Thanks for this post from:
SanchoPanzaonenickelmiracle
May 20th, 2020 at 1:20:01 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I'm surprised Wired now is asking for a paid subscription, the internet isn't going to be what it used to be. Too many sources want money, and too much money imo. Now the newspapers are finally disappearing they are pulling the trigger. $4 a month doesn't seem like much, but you can only really get so much out of it. I'd rather have a broad ala carte system where anyone can participate to provide content. That never worked though, think it was called micro-pricing where this web page costs $.01, etc.

The news sites have to decide if they want to go subscription and lose 95%+ of their traffic or use the advertising model. Newspapers really did it on advertising. What killed the newspapers was not news on the internet but Craigslist, Monster, and all the other sites that killed their classified ad sections. Think back to the late 1990s. Each help wanted ad ran $300-1500+. How many ads per page and how many pages? That was the dirty little secret of the business.

IMHO you will always have plenty of free sources if for no other reason that the more paid sites the more free ones will pop up. Same as we left cable TV for free entertainment elsewhere.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

• Jump to: