Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 34
July 8th, 2016 at 9:02:27 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Rarely would serving on a jury be considered pleasant or fun.

I agree, but I am glad that I did it, just to see the inner workings of the court system.

Basically, as a Law & Order fan, it was interesting to view the process with the lens of "That's just like it is on Law & Order," vs. "That's nothing like it is on Law & Order." Now, when I watch the reruns, I find myself saying things like, "That's not right. No judge would let a jury hear that."

But yeah, the process, especially the waiting and sitting through the actual trial (which was a boring burglary/selling stolen property case) was not what I would call fun. However, I have to give props to the Clerk of Courts, and the individual court personnel we worked with. They tried to make things as pleasant as possible given the circumstances.

The the "emcee" in the big room was entertaining. He cracked a few jokes while giving us instructions & explanations. He was pretty good, too. I've paid to see worse comedy acts. The bailiff for our courtroom was courteous & pleasant, and the judge made sure there were always snacks and goodies in the jury room.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
MrGoldenSun
MrGoldenSun
  • Threads: 3
July 8th, 2016 at 12:04:01 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

The the "emcee" in the big room was entertaining. He cracked a few jokes while giving us instructions & explanations. He was pretty good, too.

The only time I went was while I was in Atlanta, and our emcee was good too.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 33
July 8th, 2016 at 12:32:17 PM permalink
I live in the UK and have been on a jury twice. The system seems to be that you are assigned a two-week slot many months beforehand (so can appeal for an alternate date by giving dates you ARE available).

On Monday morning perhaps 80 of us went in and received an introduction video on workings, what was expected etc. They then called a list of names for each case (and I guess others sent home). They called in 30 for our case as were then explained it would last six weeks and were given an opportunity to opt out in a written note. Eventually the 12 of us were picked.

The case was drug related, I know nothing about drugs (have never smoked etc.) so it was educational. At times we were sent out but we had a good judge who kept things moving and made a good summary at the end. It also seemed we had an attentive jury as many of us asked questions (you write a note and put your hand up). At the end it took us nearly four days to come to our conclusions. I found it fascinating trying to piece together the evidence, together with my notes, as to which of the five did what and to what degree on the various counts.

We did bump into other juries and one of them was on a murder case, which also lasted several weeks and eventually made the newspapers. So in hindsight I'm glad I got the drugs one instead. The other advantage, there were a few nice pubs in Winchester.
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
July 8th, 2016 at 2:22:36 PM permalink
I was very recently selected as a prospective juror for a federal case. It was my first exposure to any kind of jury duty (state or federal). There were about 80 of us in the pool, from which 28 were randomly selected to sit in the jury box for the voir dire questioning, of which I was one. After the voir dire, the lawyers decided who they didn't want on their jury, and I was excused. I'm still "on call" for 5 months, though.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
July 8th, 2016 at 2:29:13 PM permalink
Do you have to be a registered voter to get called for this?
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
July 8th, 2016 at 2:32:19 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

I'm not a registered voter, so, no. They found me because I have a driver's license.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
July 8th, 2016 at 2:51:58 PM permalink
Illegal aliens should have to serve jury duty just like me......
Maybe illegal aliens should never be allowed to serve jury duty like I am allowed/demanded.
I'm looking for some spot I'm a winner here, can't find it.

I found it.
I am a citizen of the USA, I was born here.
Both my parents were born here.
All four of their parents were born here.
All eight of their parents were born here.
Then it get's a little foggy about exactly who had what child with what father.....
One of my great great grandmothers ( or grandfathers ) may have been a serious bitch and/or a$$hole, or both. I think that is the only logical explanation for why I am here/now. ;-)

May also explain why I've never actually served on a jury.
Maybe not..
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
July 8th, 2016 at 3:18:02 PM permalink
Jury duty experiences have been discussed around this forum before. I posted mine here in a thread almost two years ago.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
July 8th, 2016 at 3:34:59 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

That used to be the case, but no more.

Now they select via driver's license.
"What, me worry?"
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
July 8th, 2016 at 4:39:44 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Jury duty experiences have been discussed around this forum before. I posted mine here in a thread almost two years ago.

Doc, I re-read your experience via the link. You still 'the man' in this kid's sandbox.
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F

• Jump to: