coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
November 11th, 2014 at 8:56:11 PM permalink
Seems they are thinking about adding a couple of teams in the west and LAS VEGAS is right up there in the running

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2014/11/11/maple_leafs_on_the_fence_about_nhl_expansion_to_las_vegas.html
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 12th, 2014 at 12:39:44 PM permalink
What an odd report. "Vegas might get a team... let's ask a bunch of Maple Leafs what they think!" I don't get it.

The NHL will expand. There's already a bunch of chatter about it. Have you heard it? It equal parts awesome and ludicrous.

Like, they were contemplating putting a second team in Toronto. Wtf is that all about? Talk about a total disaster. For those loyal, it waters down the brand. For the other 98% of the population, you're simply doubling down on mediocrity. It is one of the most asinine ideas I've ever heard.

Hockey in Vegas? It can't be any worse than Phoenix. I think it's sort of an odd fit, but I imagine it could be sustainable. It seems to work for NASCAR, and Vegas International is just a cookie cutter 1.5'er.

But I tell ya, if Vegas gets a team before Quebec, then secession should be they least they are allowed.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 12th, 2014 at 12:47:27 PM permalink
Considering the Laughs got upset with the idea of a team in Hamilton, I can't see why they'd put two in TO.

The NHL does not need to expand the number of teams. More teams at the top level waters down top level talent.

The EPL and other football leagues succeed by having fewer teams in the top echelons.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
November 12th, 2014 at 12:48:02 PM permalink
there's none of the usual concern about close association with gambling? [I havent read the articles]
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
November 12th, 2014 at 1:15:10 PM permalink
If they get a NHL franchise, how long before they get a professional sports team, I wonder ?
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
thecesspit
thecesspit
November 12th, 2014 at 1:58:55 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

If they get a NHL franchise, how long before they get a professional sports team, I wonder ?

Probably about the same time as you stop making that joke...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
November 12th, 2014 at 2:22:19 PM permalink
Hey , my great great aunt divorced my uncle. He knew a crooked judge and got her silver dinnerware in the settlement.

His name was Sir Frederick Arthur Stanley, lord of Preston and the 16th earl of Derby.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
November 12th, 2014 at 3:04:08 PM permalink
next three cities due are vegas seattle and Quebec.....word is seattle is having arena problems and might get left out.
get second you pig
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 12th, 2014 at 3:37:25 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Considering the Laughs got upset with the idea of a team in Hamilton, I can't see why they'd put two in TO.

The NHL does not need to expand the number of teams. More teams at the top level waters down top level talent.

The EPL and other football leagues succeed by having fewer teams in the top echelons.

I didn't say they were needed, only that they were coming. I tend to agree with you.

Quebec seriously needs to get in yesterday, though. After them, there's not really a Canadian city not represented. By size, the only ones who don't have one are all basically Great Lakes region Ontario. No sense in piling any in when you already have the Leafs. Then again, it seems to work for the Jets and Giants of NY.

Seattle makes sense. And it would off-set the division imbalance raised by adding Quebec. I approve. If Vegas wants in, they'll have to bring along Newfoundland.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
thecesspit
thecesspit
November 12th, 2014 at 4:09:25 PM permalink
Portland is hockey crazy, the WHL Winterhawks are the class act in the division, but I suspect NHL would cannibalize the Junior Hockey.

Seattle fans can support the Nucks like the Vancouver football fans can support the Seahawks (or the BC Lions if you like 3-down football, for some reason).
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
November 12th, 2014 at 4:52:27 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

there's none of the usual concern about close association with gambling? [I havent read the articles]

Since the NHL was part of the group that wanted to keep sports betting out of NJ, I don't see the league allowing bets on the Vegas team (and it is the league commissioner's call, just as it was David Stern's call to prohibit betting on the NBA All-Star Game when it was in Vegas).

Besides - you already can't bet on the NHL at Silverton (I think it has to do with Edward Roski Jr. also owning part of the LA Kings), and that doesn't seem to have caused any major problems.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
November 12th, 2014 at 5:47:10 PM permalink
Most Canadians would probably love a team in Vegas. Toronto and Vancouver are two of the most expensive places to go to an NHL game. I would certainly plan a trip to Vegas around a Vancouver Canucks game.

To give those that don't follow hockey an idea of how expensive games are in Vancouver. Travel agents put together junkets to LA when the Canucks are playing there which include air, hotel and transfers. They usually play the Kings and the Ducks on the same weekend. It is cheaper to take the junket to LA than it is to pay for 2 home games in Vancouver. Sometimes the junket includes a game in Phoenix or San Jose as well.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
thecesspit
thecesspit
November 12th, 2014 at 10:15:02 PM permalink
If they put a team in Vegas, I'd go down to see the Redwings play.

I've already done a trip to see the Victoria Salmon Kings play down there (ECHL... now departed, and that game made me stop watching the team after the Victoria Captain disgraced himself).
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
December 22nd, 2020 at 7:57:55 AM permalink
Quote: Face

What an odd report. "Vegas might get a team... let's ask a bunch of Maple Leafs what they think!" I don't get it.

The NHL will expand. There's already a bunch of chatter about it. Have you heard it? It equal parts awesome and ludicrous.

Like, they were contemplating putting a second team in Toronto. Wtf is that all about? Talk about a total disaster. For those loyal, it waters down the brand. For the other 98% of the population, you're simply doubling down on mediocrity. It is one of the most asinine ideas I've ever heard.

Hockey in Vegas? It can't be any worse than Phoenix. I think it's sort of an odd fit, but I imagine it could be sustainable. It seems to work for NASCAR, and Vegas International is just a cookie cutter 1.5'er.

But I tell ya, if Vegas gets a team before Quebec, then secession should be they least they are allowed.

And then Covid came to town
  • Jump to: