odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 304
February 13th, 2019 at 12:59:30 PM permalink
I think the problem here is this particular cop has it in for ONM - maybe he is secretly the "other guy" in that story with the flowers ?

You should definitely go to court. Do not just pay this ticket. Buy a book on how to beat tickets, they're cheap.

That advice depends on your driving record, if it blows already you should just pay the ticket. If you go, take a copy of your [good] driving record. I had a cop lie about my driving record to the judge, they just take his word for it - and I didn't have a copy of it.

PS: you did the right thing not agreeing to the search
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
February 13th, 2019 at 1:23:04 PM permalink
Here's what I don't get...

If you get pulled over by a crooked cop just dying to pin something on you because he's racist or trying to hit a quota or whatever, is he really going to care that you don't consent to a search or ask if you're being detained? I mean, he's CROOKED. He's going to make something up and search your car anyway, or find some BS reason to detain you. Even if he's wrong and you don't get in any trouble in the long run, he's still made your life hell for the day/week/month.

This strategy only seems like it would work on a straight cop, who isn't likely to be hassling you in the first place.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
February 13th, 2019 at 1:35:45 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

This strategy only seems like it would work on a straight cop, who isn't likely to be hassling you in the first place.

A cop who has it in for you has all the resources in the world to make you miserable. He will have your vehicle searched whether or not you agree to it or not, if he is such an ass.

At the same time, it is just possible he has been getting in trouble with his superiors too. If you show you are calm , collected, and know your rights, he might decide he has to be careful. It is to no real benefit to "show you are cooperating" and as the video shows, he is likely bluffing to say "things will go better if you cooperate". If you fall for it, he loses respect.

If he has it in for you, maybe nothing you do will matter. But you can assert you clearly said no search in court, that matters.

btw the last time I got pulled over, I lost my temper [somewhat]. That's the worst thing you can do, but I got lucky.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 13th, 2019 at 1:44:04 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Here's what I don't get...

If you get pulled over by a crooked cop just dying to pin something on you because he's racist or trying to hit a quota or whatever, is he really going to care that you don't consent to a search or ask if you're being detained? I mean, he's CROOKED. He's going to make something up and search your car anyway, or find some BS reason to detain you. Even if he's wrong and you don't get in any trouble in the long run, he's still made your life hell for the day/week/month.

Options, my friend.

You saying "OK" forfeits your rights. If you did a rolling stop and got caught, and you knew you were in the wrong, and the cop demanded you admit it as well as pay him $150 on the spot, would you do it? Most people would demand their right to due process; I can't for the life of me understand how anyone would be so cavalier about it. Lemme in your car, lemme in your house, gimme your guns, don't vote, stop praying. ALL of these should engender the feeling and cause the expression - "F#$% you".

You may be right in that they'll "just make up a reason". Make them. A lawyer can do much with how you are treated. A lawyer can't do f#$% all with what you did to yourself.

And yeah, making your life hell for a week-month is garbage. But the same type that'll make it miserable for a week or month wouldn't think twice of ruining it for 5-10.

This is a numbers forum, yes? You really gonna risk years of your life and a criminal record just to "win" a less stressful 30min?

Say it with me - "I DO NOT CONSENT TO SEARCHES"
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
Thanks for this post from:
RS
February 13th, 2019 at 1:57:27 PM permalink
you don't want the officer to find so much as an old empty beer can in your trunk

of course if he was a good guy, so what, but that guy wouldn't search the vehicle

if he is such an ass as to search anyway after you said no, maybe he now wants you to blow in the tube

lots of scenarios
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
February 13th, 2019 at 3:43:35 PM permalink
4th Amendment. Worth defending.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 209
February 20th, 2019 at 2:06:21 PM permalink
OMG. The judge was such a power hungry B***H. I'm probably going to have to hire a lawyer. I have nothing on my record, and it's going to stay that way. She talks weird, likes illllllll-llllllayggggggggal. She intentionally ignored a question and answered another one, I know it had to be intentional, she is just a B***H. I got put on time-out.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 175
February 20th, 2019 at 2:12:42 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

you don't want the officer to find so much as an old empty beer can in your trunk

of course if he was a good guy, so what, but that guy wouldn't search the vehicle

if he is such an ass as to search anyway after you said no, maybe he now wants you to blow in the tube

lots of scenarios

Right after the nickel bottle deposit law went into effect, my friends were driving and drinking when we were pulled over. There were at least a half dozen open but empty beer cans in plain sight, with many more kicked under the front seats. Officer asked what we were doing with all the empty cans. With as totally straight face, the passenger replied they were in case we had to make an emergency phone call. The officer just lost it. The response was so nuts he almost spit in the drivers face he laughed so hard. We had such a moment he couldn't issue a ticket after that.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
February 20th, 2019 at 2:47:30 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Right after the nickel bottle deposit law went into effect, my friends were driving and drinking when we were pulled over. There were at least a half dozen open but empty beer cans in plain sight, with many more kicked under the front seats. Officer asked what we were doing with all the empty cans. With as totally straight face, the passenger replied they were in case we had to make an emergency phone call. The officer just lost it. The response was so nuts he almost spit in the drivers face he laughed so hard. We had such a moment he couldn't issue a ticket after that.

I have never had a ticket. Only pulled over 2 times. One was for headlight covers on my mustang. Cop told me to take them off. Other was for going 85 in a 65. Cop pulls me over. I am in a suit. He asks if I knew how fast I was going. I say.. officer, I had this weird sense you were sitting up here so I let off the gas. Qas going around 120 so not sure what you got me at. He laughed hard in amazement. Asked why where I was going. Told him Inwas late for a business meeting with a large life changing potential client. He said since I was honest about my speed and had a valid reason he would let me go. Then told me there was another cop sitting up the road about 5 miles. Last time I was ever pulled over and that was in 2004.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 209
February 20th, 2019 at 2:50:30 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I have never had a ticket. Only pulled over 2 times. One was for headlight covers on my mustang. Cop told me to take them off. Other was for going 85 in a 65. Cop pulls me over. I am in a suit. He asks if I knew how fast I was going. I say.. officer, I had this weird sense you were sitting up here so I let off the gas. Qas going around 120 so not sure what you got me at. He laughed hard in amazement. Asked why where I was going. Told him Inwas late for a business meeting with a large life changing potential client. He said since I was honest about my speed and had a valid reason he would let me go. Then told me there was another cop sitting up the road about 5 miles. Last time I was ever pulled over and that was in 2004.

I get pulled over all the time because I'm a great driver, for me. Idgaf.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.

• Jump to: