1 vote (20%)

5 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1438
November 24th, 2022 at 10:25:42 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Wondering if anyone else out there does the same?
link to original post

I only do that on pi day -- and I blast almost everyone in my address list still living.
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” -- Carl Sagan
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 235
November 24th, 2022 at 10:31:27 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Quote: AZDuffman

Wondering if anyone else out there does the same?
link to original post

I only do that on pi day -- and I blast almost everyone in my address list still living.
link to original post

If you want to up the clever send a pic of some ice cream and say "ala mode" see if they get it.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 80
November 24th, 2022 at 11:54:14 AM permalink
Funny, the Mrs just did exactly that this morning.

I think it's a good thing. Good time to recognize blessings and good cheer without all the formality of Christmas, which by tradition expects cards to be sent.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 220
November 24th, 2022 at 12:14:40 PM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

I think it's a good thing. Good time to recognize blessings and good cheer without all the formality of Christmas, which by tradition expects cards to be sent.
link to original post

Do you still send Christmas Cards?
By the way, if you only talk to a friend once a year, spend the ten minutes talking about common interests and good times from the past, not your daughters' failure to adjust to dorm living.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 82
November 24th, 2022 at 3:37:06 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

By the way, if you only talk to a friend once a year, spend the ten minutes talking about common interests and good times from the past, not your daughters' failure to adjust to dorm living.
link to original post

Christmas cards? I don't keep in touch with anyone from my past after moving on. I have not spoke to a single person that I went to High School with since I was 18 and moved away. I have not spoke to any of my college friends or roommates since 1989 when I moved away. I still talk to one friend from Las Vegas but I have only been gone a year and I am sure by next year that will fade away too. Apparently I am not very social.
Order from chaos
dcjohn
dcjohn
  • Threads: 0
November 25th, 2022 at 4:27:37 AM permalink
I don't generally send or care much about holiday greetings, but I'm fine with those who do and their kind intentions, especially as an effort to keep in touch which I rarely do.

I do however use the opportunity to reach out humorously with a native American friend, hopefully emphasizing that the lore and whitewashed history doesn't diminish my appreciation for the shared history of "our" ancestors' tragic encounters.

I find they have good attitudes about things despite being generally a rather poorly treated and misunderstood minority. I really admire how they help one another and have a sense of community that not all other groups show.

That aspect of the holidays strikes me as more meaningful than overeating and watching football. Helping others, staying in touch, sharing appreciation, all good things as long as it is heartfelt and not just a mindless obligation.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 33
November 25th, 2022 at 10:25:46 AM permalink
Thanksgiving is just mostly just people I am still in touch with.

For Christmas (or sometimes New Year's) I may broaden that out a bit to people I do not really talk to anymore. I don't really know my rationale behind this (I think I have just always viewed Thanksgiving as more of a traditional family holiday and Christmas and New Years as more celebratory and widespread), either way, it's just what I usually do.

I hope that everyone had a good Thanksgiving!
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 57
November 25th, 2022 at 12:00:40 PM permalink
News flash: there is this app called Facebook that allows you to 'friend' many of your old friends and to keep track of everyone in a very low-energy passive way. (also, allowing you to be tracked, but that's another story . . .)
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 220
November 25th, 2022 at 12:14:30 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

News flash: there is this app called Facebook that allows you to 'friend' many of your old friends and to keep track of everyone in a very low-energy passive way. (also, allowing you to be tracked, but that's another story . . .)
link to original post

Facebook- the app that lets all the people you actively avoid track you and your friends.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 80
November 26th, 2022 at 3:33:57 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

link to original post

I try to, but have been inconsistent the past few years. I've got some good family photos this year, so this year might be a go!

Sounds like you had a numbing personal experience — I'll try to keep my stories relevant!

• Jump to: