kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
December 27th, 2021 at 12:15:36 PM permalink
We have had a very windy few days here in Vegas, starting the day before Christmas. Today is the worst so far. And I am not talking about the normal hot wind from various trip reports or betting claims on this forum. (no one in particular).

One of the things about Las Vegas, is that while we get little rain, we get some windy days. I am told when a weather front comes through the low clouds with the rain can't make it over the mountains, but the wind does. That is why we are a desert. (weather 101)

So anyway, I live in a high-rise as most know by now. And this building sways when the wind blows. I guess a lot of high-rises do. I am only concerted with this one at the moment. LOL. When I can feel the building swaying like this, I become very uncomfortable. I guess that is built into the engineering, but geez, it just seems like if the building is swaying, it isn't sturdy enough to me.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
December 27th, 2021 at 1:52:47 PM permalink
Since I need a concrete floor or else the floor might bust through, will indoor heavy shelves tip over in the wind?
kewlj
kewlj
December 27th, 2021 at 2:05:55 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Since I need a concrete floor or else the floor might bust through, will indoor heavy shelves tip over in the wind?

No. At least not so far.

It just has a funny feel to it. I had never experienced an earthquake before I moved to Las Vegas and now have felt 3 or 4 different minor quakes and it just has a feel sort of like that. I find myself saying "did you feel that"? But no one else seems to notice or as concerned.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
Thanked by
LuckyPhow
December 27th, 2021 at 2:06:52 PM permalink
Lucky for you that you only live in a Vegas high rise, kewlj....

https://www.discovery.com/exploration/World-Famous-Chicago-Skyscraper-Sway-Wind
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
December 27th, 2021 at 2:07:59 PM permalink
The willow tree sways in the gale.
The oak tree stands rigid until it snaps from its roots.

No tuned mass damper?
May the cards fall in your favor.
kewlj
kewlj
December 27th, 2021 at 2:31:35 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

The willow tree sways in the gale.
The oak tree stands rigid until it snaps from its roots.

No tuned mass damper?
link to original post

I am just afraid if I open the doors to the balcony, I am going to pull a Monica Mancuso and end up flying down the strip and crashing into the Wynn. (TV show Las Vegas reference) LOL.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
December 27th, 2021 at 2:40:03 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

We have had a very windy few days here in Vegas, starting the day before Christmas. Today is the worst so far. And I am not talking about the normal hot wind from various trip reports or betting claims on this forum. (no one in particular).

One of the things about Las Vegas, is that while we get little rain, we get some windy days. I am told when a weather front comes through the low clouds with the rain can't make it over the mountains, but the wind does. That is why we are a desert. (weather 101)

So anyway, I live in a high-rise as most know by now. And this building sways when the wind blows. I guess a lot of high-rises do. I am only concerted with this one at the moment. LOL. When I can feel the building swaying like this, I become very uncomfortable. I guess that is built into the engineering, but geez, it just seems like if the building is swaying, it isn't sturdy enough to me.
link to original post

Do you drive down to SoCal often? The way the semi trailers sway in that open desert wind on the freeway can be scary. I prefer to divert between Primm and Baker and drive through the Mohave National Preserve.

I remember one particularly windy day flying into Vegas where that pilot definitely earned his salary with that landing.
kewlj
kewlj
December 27th, 2021 at 3:01:08 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Do you drive down to SoCal often? The way the semi trailers sway in that open desert wind on the freeway can be scary. I prefer to divert between Primm and Baker and drive through the Mohave National Preserve.

I remember one particularly windy day flying into Vegas where that pilot definitely earned his salary with that landing.
link to original post

Drive to California sometimes. Haven't had any bad wind experiences.

I did also have a bad landing returning home to Las Vegas. The Captain announced that it was very windy and we should brace. Just as we were about to land, looked like 40 feet off the ground but probably a little more, all of the sudden the plane goes sideways at almost a 90 degree angle. The captain righted the plane, pulled back up, circled around and tried again. I was never so happy to have ALL the wheels firmly on the ground
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
December 27th, 2021 at 3:03:43 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Quote: kewlj

link to original post

link to original post

Several years ago, I noticed the rubber fairing that runs under my doors had lost the first of the dozen or so grommets that held it in place. I didn't think it was a big deal and drove around Vegas for a few weeks without incident. I'm driving to LA for a Yankee game, and I hit the pass on 15. A gust of wind hits my car and almost blows me into the next lane, and it ripped the entire fairing off my car, and we watched as it helicoptered into the opposite lane. I had a $500 deductible and replacing it cost $625 so it was all out of pocket.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 27th, 2021 at 4:53:15 PM permalink
KJ, how tall is your building? Having lived in Vegas for 30 years I can't really think of any really tall residential buildings. .
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 3
December 27th, 2021 at 6:28:30 PM permalink
When in Vegas and deciding what to do outside…you don’t check for rain. You check the wind forecast.

The wind here can ruin a pool day, a hike day and just about any outdoor activity.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
December 27th, 2021 at 7:22:30 PM permalink
Yes but it can't ruin a table game win. Unless you're playing outside.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
kewlj
kewlj
December 28th, 2021 at 11:21:40 AM permalink
Winds are down today. :) A little brisk, especially a few floors up on the balcony, but at least I don't feel like I am going to go Monica Mancuso and flying down the strip. LOL. High of 50 degrees is about the worst of our Las Vegas winter days.
LoquaciousMoFW
LoquaciousMoFW
  • Threads: 1
December 28th, 2021 at 12:17:44 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

KJ, how tall is your building? Having lived in Vegas for 30 years I can't really think of any really tall residential buildings. .
link to original post

Look at #s 5,15,17,21,29,31,34,38 on this Wilipedia list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Las_Vegas
  • Jump to: