100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 638
July 14th, 2020 at 9:53:51 AM permalink
Saw his Facebook post that he just took the IQ test.
i would have assumed his IQ was over 130 and was already in Mensa.

Wiz, why did you wait till now to take the IQ test?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
July 14th, 2020 at 10:37:11 AM permalink
Thank you for the compliment. I didn't wait until now. I took it before, in I believe 2009, and did not meet the 130 requirement. I write all about it in my next newsletter, coming out Thursday.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
July 14th, 2020 at 11:02:49 AM permalink
I was tested at 145, and Wiz you got me stomped at a lot of things. The Mensa people are an odd lot, generally speaking I don't care for them.
A falling knife has no handle.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 14th, 2020 at 11:16:30 AM permalink
Congratulations are making 145! I am not surprised.

As mentioned in my upcoming newsletter, I have a $100 bet that I don't meet the Mensa requirements. I choked on the memory section of the test and was not impressed with myself on others that required doing very easy tasks fast. What is sad is I think I'm generally good at taking tests, so I can't use that excuse. Plus, I have failed the 130 requirement before, but I don't know by how much.

I am not well rounded in my abilities at all. For example, I am awful at word puzzles. The average three-year-old could probably beat me at Concentration. Getting my excuses in a row for when I fail...again.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
July 14th, 2020 at 3:42:37 PM permalink
I tested at 136 but never bothered to join Mensa. I have always heard the people are super weird.

I honestly don’t think it means much, or at the most is just a small part of what makes someone “smart”. I’ve met a lot of people who purportedly high IQ yet not very functional, and some fairly successful people who I think are kinda dumb.

I would imagine IQ means more at the lower end of the spectrum. An IQ of 90 might mean difficulty learning to read, while an IQ of 50 means trouble learning to talk.

I’d also guess that returns on IQ probably diminish very quickly after 115 or so.
21forme
21forme
  • Threads: 6
Thanked by
odiousgambit
July 14th, 2020 at 3:56:23 PM permalink
I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member - Groucho Marx
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
July 15th, 2020 at 7:12:14 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Congratulations are making 145! I am not surprised.

As mentioned in my upcoming newsletter, I have a $100 bet that I don't meet the Mensa requirements. I choked on the memory section of the test and was not impressed with myself on others that required doing very easy tasks fast. What is sad is I think I'm generally good at taking tests, so I can't use that excuse. Plus, I have failed the 130 requirement before, but I don't know by how much.

I am not well rounded in my abilities at all. For example, I am awful at word puzzles. The average three-year-old could probably beat me at Concentration. Getting my excuses in a row for when I fail...again.

I'm not in Mensa, but I have some friends who are in. Forget about strange. Mensa has hot babes -- that's what counts!

Anyway, some advice. I took a boatload of IQ tests when I was a kid (not my choice). One was out there or, as I always say, I may be misremembering and conflating it with my best bowling average year. The others had a wide variance. Now I never practiced or took practice tests, so these were all proctored IQ tests. Literally, I had almost a 30-point variance, and that's not counting the bowling average test. My point is -- one test does not mean much, especially if you have a range of motivation and stress associated with taking the tests at different times.

So even if you sucked previously, I think pure variance will give you a shot.

The thing about being older -- I am not gonna retake an IQ test, or at least not without a lot of practice. I am terrified to find out how much my IQ has dropped over 40 years. Also, motivation is part of it. When you are young, you can muster up the laser concentration needed to care about and focus for the length of the test and pretend it means something. As you get older, amping yourself up and focusing gets tougher to pull off. I liken it to Ender's Game stuff.

Anyway, good luck, and don't fret if you fail. You can always retake and variance may get you home. The folks I hang with -- I'm low man on the IQ totem poll. I prefer it that way. If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 17
July 15th, 2020 at 10:37:56 AM permalink
I was accepted into MENSA based on a test I did when I was about 15. As I recall it was a Weschler test and I was just over the limit, about 132, (which may be different today as it appears 130 or above is accepted). I'm probably about 85 by now :)

I joined for a year, but after that I just went to meetings once in a while and paid the $5 charge.

And as others have said, most of the people are pretty strange. And I never experienced this, but apparently there is a lot of sex going on during annual gatherings.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
July 15th, 2020 at 10:53:15 AM permalink
Quote: redietz

I'm not in Mensa, but I have some friends who are in. Forget about strange. Mensa has hot babes -- that's what counts!

Anyway, some advice. I took a boatload of IQ tests when I was a kid (not my choice). One was out there or, as I always say, I may be misremembering and conflating it with my best bowling average year. The others had a wide variance. Now I never practiced or took practice tests, so these were all proctored IQ tests. Literally, I had almost a 30-point variance, and that's not counting the bowling average test. My point is -- one test does not mean much, especially if you have a range of motivation and stress associated with taking the tests at different times.

So even if you sucked previously, I think pure variance will give you a shot.

The thing about being older -- I am not gonna retake an IQ test, or at least not without a lot of practice. I am terrified to find out how much my IQ has dropped over 40 years. Also, motivation is part of it. When you are young, you can muster up the laser concentration needed to care about and focus for the length of the test and pretend it means something. As you get older, amping yourself up and focusing gets tougher to pull off. I liken it to Ender's Game stuff.

Anyway, good luck, and don't fret if you fail. You can always retake and variance may get you home. The folks I hang with -- I'm low man on the IQ totem poll. I prefer it that way. If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

I also was given quite a few IQ tests, through public school.

I am not sure what I scored on the first one, when I was really young. Maybe 8 years old. It must have been under 130 though as I was not placed into the “gifted program”. I don’t really remember too much about the test, only that I was confused as to why I was being pulled out of class without much explanation. I probably thought I was in trouble or something, which probably effected my performance.

All tests after that in my teenage years were in the mid-130’s.

I also think my IQ has probably gone down in the past decade or so since I was last tested. Not sure if I would bother getting tested again, how much does it cost?
redietz
redietz
July 15th, 2020 at 11:18:59 AM permalink
Yeah, I think the first one I took to get into the "gifted" program, I got a 142 or a 145. I think I was highest in my (little) class, so I wound up taking quite a few more over the years. Scores ranged from low 130's to low 160's except for the one outlier. The first test wound up being right in the middle of the range, but it was a bit of a range. My girlfriend and her brother are both 160+. The dude scored perfect on the math SAT. Those people are freaky.

I'm not sure I'd qualify for Mensa right now. I'm 62 and my memory ain't what it used to be. The idea that I was "smarter" when I was 12 kind of irks me, so I'm not looking to take any more IQ tests in my life. I hate the whole IQ test stuff and the trivia exams. Something like the spelling bees drive me up a tree. Kids should be taught how to think critically, how to reason. Not how to do well in trivia contests.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
July 15th, 2020 at 11:43:40 AM permalink
I was given an IQ test in elementary school, but they never gave me the results. It was a big deal trying to figure out why I was a bad kid and stealing stuff.

My friend took the test too. About 2 weeks later, the principal came to talk to me and said “now we know you’re not stupid...”. My friend got a talk that day about how stealing is bad.
I heart Crystal Math.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
Thanked by
unJonCrystalMath
July 15th, 2020 at 12:32:40 PM permalink
I was tested at 75 but my mom seduced the superintendent to get me into normal schools. She sure does care about my education.
I am a robot.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 15th, 2020 at 9:25:55 PM permalink
I've read that IQ tests are all wonky,
they don't mean very much. For
instance Isaac Asimov was obviously
a genius. At one point he had over
200 books in print at once. He could
write a science book in 10 hours.
Yet he was very hard to test and get
a correct result. They finally concluded
his IQ was so far off the charts there
was no test for him. There was
nobody smart enough to write the
test. Asimov was vice president of
Mensa, but had few good things to
say about it. He considered himself
very smart in some ways and dumb
as a rock in others.

"IQ isn't everything, but it isn't nothing either." Isaac Asimov
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 7
Thanked by
AxelWolf
July 15th, 2020 at 11:53:16 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I've read that IQ tests are all wonky,
they don't mean very much. For
instance Isaac Asimov was obviously
a genius. At one point he had over
200 books in print at once. He could
write a science book in 10 hours.
Yet he was very hard to test and get
a correct result. They finally concluded
his IQ was so far off the charts there
was no test for him. There was
nobody smart enough to write the
test. Asimov was vice president of
Mensa, but had few good things to
say about it. He considered himself
very smart in some ways and dumb
as a rock in others.

"IQ isn't everything, but it isn't nothing either." Isaac Asimov

I've heard a number of times that emotional intelligence is more important to a person's success than intelligence.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 638
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
July 16th, 2020 at 12:29:15 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I was tested at 75 but my mom seduced the superintendent to get me into normal schools. She sure does care about my education.

ok Forrest. :)
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
July 16th, 2020 at 12:31:45 PM permalink
Quote: Minty

I've heard a number of times that emotional intelligence is more important to a person's success than intelligence.

Asimov was a weirdo. If his wife
was one minute late getting home,
he'd fall apart with stress and worry.
He'd have panic attacks that she
got hit by a bus or a falling piano.
He had a bad rep as a 'handsy' guy
at parties and gatherings. He was
always copping feels and stroking
the butts of women. His wife said
she had spoken to him about it
many times, and he said he tried
to control it but always failed.
That kind of stuff is frightening,
so smart yet he had no impulse
control.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 86
July 18th, 2020 at 9:52:54 AM permalink
In the Wizard’s latest newsletter, he mentioned this example Mensa test question:

It takes six machines eight hours to produce ten units. How many units can one machine make in half an hour?

My friend and I got the same answer; he got 10/96 and I got .104 — that’s correct, right?
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
July 18th, 2020 at 10:19:30 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

In the Wizard’s latest newsletter, he mentioned this example Mensa test question:

It takes six machines eight hours to produce ten units. How many units can one machine make in half an hour?

My friend and I got the same answer; he got 10/96 and I got .104 — that’s correct, right?

I'd just reverse engineer it, personally.

You get a total production of ten units in sixteen half hours, so first:

10/16 = 0.625

You divide that by six machines, and: .625/6 = 0.10416666667

So, we agree on that part.

Although, I don't trust it not to be a trick question with the answer actually just being zero. Perhaps they would say it's not possible to have less than one unit. For a hypothetical, if the unit is a car...how do you quantify a percentage of a car? It would also assume that all parts of the car are considered equal, which is untrue, for obvious reasons.

Also, answering the question the obvious way assumes that all six machines aren't necessary for one complete unit. As in, the machines might need to work together to produce a unit rather than separately, in which event, one machine could never make an entire unit in the first place. If the machines do work together, then they could theoretically not have uniform output rates.

So, I'm either going to say, '0,' or, 'More information needed,' unless it's multiple choice.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 18th, 2020 at 11:00:15 AM permalink
Quote: Minty

I imagine much of that chatter comes from people who didn't score as high as they anticipated they would. I took some sort of Mensa test in college and of about forty people one passed it. I and a few others were encouraged to take it again, which gave me the impression we were close. My three male cousins were all in Mensa and for two of them, that would be pretty much all they accomplished in their lives.
I had a customer in a bar I bought who was called The Professor. Everyone said he was a genius but I never quite saw it. He died a few years later and in his obit it said he graduated HS at 12, and had two PHDs by 25. While working at Bell Labs he created something in his spare time that he sold to them and retired early. It said he had written a dozen textbooks for college-level math courses. I heard his children were shocked at the size of his estate. Evidently he was pretty good at picking stocks.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
July 18th, 2020 at 11:12:23 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I imagine much of that chatter comes from people who didn't score as high as they anticipated they would. I took some sort of Mensa test in college and of about forty people one passed it. I and a few others were encouraged to take it again, which gave me the impression we were close. My three male cousins were all in Mensa and for two of them, that would be pretty much all they accomplished in their lives.

(Quote clipped, relevance)

That's basically how I feel about it. Getting into Mensa would make me no less intellectually underwhelming, or less underwhelming, in general, so I really don't see the point. I imagine that I would have a realistic probability of success, but I really don't see what being in Mensa would do for me other than being able to say that I'm in Mensa...which isn't something I'd run around advertising in the first place.

I also think it would be something of a worst house in a great neighborhood situation, in the sense that I'd probably be one of the dumbest members Mensa would have. I'd be like the third-string QB equivalent, or maybe even practice roster.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
Thanked by
Mission146
July 18th, 2020 at 11:44:36 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

\
Although, I don't trust it not to be a trick question with the answer actually just being zero.

Also, answering the question the obvious way assumes that all six machines aren't necessary for one complete unit.

So, I'm either going to say, '0,' or, 'More information needed,' unless it's multiple choice.

I didn't consider those aspects! Even if it's not what they're getting at, that's a great change of perspective.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 18th, 2020 at 12:15:16 PM permalink

Given my phrasing, I agree. However, I know the answer I came up with at the time was different. Let me give you some other parameters, to get to what I arrived at.

Four machines can produce 16 units in three hours.

How many units can one machine make in half an hour?

I will say that the look on the examiners face suggested I got it wrong and perhaps misunderstood the question. I really wish I could remember the exact wording.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
July 18th, 2020 at 2:20:05 PM permalink
Is it generally thought that IQ can significantly change throughout one’s life? Can it increase through mental stimulation or decrease from age, drug/alcohol use, bad diet, etc?

I realize there are probably not hard scientific answers to those questions, but I am curious what people think.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 18th, 2020 at 3:24:58 PM permalink
I am under the impression that IQ tests your potential intelligence so it shouldn't change much. I'm basing this on what was taught forty years ago so it may well be outdated.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
July 24th, 2020 at 8:59:20 AM permalink
Based on the end of the Wizard’s newsletter today, I believe congratulations are in order.

And it’s mathematically amusing that you got assigned that specific value!
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
July 24th, 2020 at 9:52:42 AM permalink

Based on the end of the Wizard’s newsletter today, I believe congratulations are in order.

And it’s mathematically amusing that you got assigned that specific value!

Link? I do not see a new newsletter
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 24th, 2020 at 11:58:35 AM permalink
I wrote about something else, but added the following at the end.

Quote:

Finally, in last week’s newsletter I spoke of taking an IQ test in hopes of scoring in the top 2% and qualifying for Mensa. I am happy and pleasantly surprised to report that I made it, barely. The minimum “full scale” IQ for Mensa is 130, which is exactly what I got. I bury this at the end because I don’t like to toot my own horn, but feel I had to follow up from last week. Shortly after receiving the good news I submitted my scores to Mensa and am awaiting to hear back. I look forward to participating at their in-person events as soon as it’s safe.

gamerfreak
gamerfreak
July 24th, 2020 at 12:04:33 PM permalink

I wrote about something else, but added the following at the end.

Congratulations!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 24th, 2020 at 12:14:51 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Congratulations!

Thank you!
redietz
redietz
July 24th, 2020 at 12:19:48 PM permalink
Congrats on getting in.

Just remember, to paraphrase Groucho, you should never join a club that would have you as a member...unless there are hot babes.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
Zugarxwine
August 12th, 2020 at 5:04:26 AM permalink
Forgive me for tooting my own horn, but my application was approved!

gamerfreak
gamerfreak
August 12th, 2020 at 5:13:57 AM permalink

Are you going to buy the ring?
21forme
21forme
  • Threads: 6
August 12th, 2020 at 5:37:26 AM permalink
Quote: redietz

Just remember, to paraphrase Groucho, you should never join a club that would have you as a member...unless there are hot babes.

How original! See my Jul 14 post. :-)
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
August 12th, 2020 at 9:12:35 AM permalink

Congratulations!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 12th, 2020 at 9:41:59 AM permalink
Quote: ChesterDog

Congratulations!

Thank you!
gerback123
gerback123
  • Threads: 4
August 12th, 2020 at 6:55:31 PM permalink
Congratulations Mike! Finally something that has gone correctly in 2020 with you getting acceptance into Mensa
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
August 12th, 2020 at 6:57:25 PM permalink
Congrats, Mike.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
August 13th, 2020 at 7:21:00 AM permalink

Thank you!

I took an IQ test once. I was at the top of the bell curve, with all the smart people.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
August 13th, 2020 at 10:30:30 AM permalink
Congratulations Wizard! I was an MGM/GATE as a child, although they never told us our exact IQ just that it was over 132.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
August 13th, 2020 at 12:12:59 PM permalink
Mike... after you are in for a bit tell us if seems worthwhile? How much does it cost to be a member? Do you think it would be worthwhile for me and/or David to join?

I've often been asked to be a member of "Best Doctors in America" which I think is really "pay us and we will put your name on this list".
DRich
DRich
August 13th, 2020 at 12:17:51 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I've often been asked to be a member of "Best Doctors in America" which I think is really "pay us and we will put your name on this list".

I have seen those in the airline magazines and I always assumed they were just paid advertisements. Also the airline magazines always have the "10 Best Steakhouses" and it seems also like a paid advertisement.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
August 13th, 2020 at 1:23:49 PM permalink

Congratulations! Now if you could only get yourself into the unicycle Hall of Fame you'll have conquered your world.

Perhaps you can just find solace in the fact that less than 1% of population has even learned how to ride a unicycle and probably .1% of those people can actually juggle while doing so.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
August 13th, 2020 at 9:49:33 PM permalink
Congratulations! It seems appropriate that a wizard of odds is in Mensa. And especially so for THE Wizard of Odds.

On a related note: A local sports talk radio host recently died, and his obit (a full-page in the newspaper)—obviously written by him—claims that he was a member of Mensa by virtue of his “high SAT score.”
  • Jump to: