smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 66
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
July 18th, 2020 at 11:44:36 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

\
Although, I don't trust it not to be a trick question with the answer actually just being zero.
Ö
Also, answering the question the obvious way assumes that all six machines aren't necessary for one complete unit.
Ö
So, I'm either going to say, '0,' or, 'More information needed,' unless it's multiple choice.

I didn't consider those aspects! Even if it's not what they're getting at, that's a great change of perspective.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1372
July 18th, 2020 at 12:15:16 PM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

In the Wizardís latest newsletter, he mentioned this example Mensa test question:

It takes six machines eight hours to produce ten units. How many units can one machine make in half an hour?

My friend and I got the same answer; he got 10/96 and I got .104 ó thatís correct, right?

Given my phrasing, I agree. However, I know the answer I came up with at the time was different. Let me give you some other parameters, to get to what I arrived at.

Four machines can produce 16 units in three hours.

How many units can one machine make in half an hour?

I will say that the look on the examiners face suggested I got it wrong and perhaps misunderstood the question. I really wish I could remember the exact wording.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 49
July 18th, 2020 at 2:20:05 PM permalink
Is it generally thought that IQ can significantly change throughout oneís life? Can it increase through mental stimulation or decrease from age, drug/alcohol use, bad diet, etc?

I realize there are probably not hard scientific answers to those questions, but I am curious what people think.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 178
July 18th, 2020 at 3:24:58 PM permalink
I am under the impression that IQ tests your potential intelligence so it shouldn't change much. I'm basing this on what was taught forty years ago so it may well be outdated.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 66
July 24th, 2020 at 8:59:20 AM permalink
Based on the end of the Wizardís newsletter today, I believe congratulations are in order.

And itís mathematically amusing that you got assigned that specific value!
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
July 24th, 2020 at 9:52:42 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

Based on the end of the Wizardís newsletter today, I believe congratulations are in order.

And itís mathematically amusing that you got assigned that specific value!

Link? I do not see a new newsletter
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 24th, 2020 at 11:58:35 AM permalink
I wrote about something else, but added the following at the end.

Quote:

Finally, in last weekís newsletter I spoke of taking an IQ test in hopes of scoring in the top 2% and qualifying for Mensa. I am happy and pleasantly surprised to report that I made it, barely. The minimum ďfull scaleĒ IQ for Mensa is 130, which is exactly what I got. I bury this at the end because I donít like to toot my own horn, but feel I had to follow up from last week. Shortly after receiving the good news I submitted my scores to Mensa and am awaiting to hear back. I look forward to participating at their in-person events as soon as itís safe.

gamerfreak
gamerfreak
July 24th, 2020 at 12:04:33 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I wrote about something else, but added the following at the end.

Congratulations!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 24th, 2020 at 12:14:51 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Congratulations!

Thank you!
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 33
July 24th, 2020 at 12:19:48 PM permalink
Congrats on getting in.

Just remember, to paraphrase Groucho, you should never join a club that would have you as a member...unless there are hot babes.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."

• Jump to: