Thread Rating:

onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 209
April 20th, 2020 at 12:09:13 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I don't know if anyone will know the answer but I'll ask it anyway.

What's the smallest amount of plasma infusion of someone else's antibodies does it take to be effective? In lieu of a vaccine, how effective might that be? Or is it only used when you're actively sick?

If a relatively small infusion just took a while to be effective, that would still be great, but maybe I'm misunderstanding how it is used. But I was thinking similar to a flu vaccine, you need about 2 weeks for the immunity to kick in. If you get the flu before then, it's less likely to be effective.

I don't think it's consistent. If someone just recovered, they will have more antibodies in the blood than compared to someone who recovered longer than them. Using it like a vaccine, I don't know about that from my travels on the outernet.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 167
April 20th, 2020 at 12:13:27 PM permalink
I might be misconstruing how it works. Maybe it just provides antibodies that stay in your system like a temporary weapon, but the body does nothing to produce more of them.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 45
April 20th, 2020 at 2:23:41 PM permalink
Plasma infusion was the best treatment the medical industry had for treating many illnesses before the invention of penicillin and other antibiotics. At its core, its an old technology.

Not sure how much plasma and antibodies are needed.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 209
April 20th, 2020 at 2:39:48 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I might be misconstruing how it works. Maybe it just provides antibodies that stay in your system like a temporary weapon, but the body does nothing to produce more of them.

Yes, they fluctuate depending on the virus. I'm not medical, just remember what I read recently. The immune system is complex.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.

• Jump to: