Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 69
February 4th, 2020 at 4:19:30 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

On really windy days, jet blue and delta flights from Vegas that are full often stop at Salt Lake.

I would guess on most days that is a scheduled stop before they depart.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 30
February 4th, 2020 at 4:22:26 PM permalink
Quote: BedWetterBetter

The point is that it is unprofessional to show up unprepared or give the appearance of being inadequately stocked for travel. Would you board an airplane, private or commercial, that is spewing black smoke or you glance into the cockpit and see a light flashing or making a loud noise? Probably not or you would ask the pilot to address the issue. If he tells you " don't worry we'll make it with no problem, just let me do my job."

Would you then sleep the entire journey or travel without concern & give him a positive rating when the App prompts you to rate the ride? But yea, it's fine because he knows the plane better than you and you're not qualified .

No, I, and others, were just pointing out that your story made no sense and you would have missed your flight regardless had it not been delayed...

Should he have had a full tank? Maybe. Should Lyft tell drivers how long their next trip is going to be? Yes for this and many other reasons.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
February 4th, 2020 at 5:02:34 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

No, I, and others, were just pointing out that your story made no sense and you would have missed your flight regardless had it not been delayed...

Should he have had a full tank? Maybe. Should Lyft tell drivers how long their next trip is going to be? Yes for this and many other reasons.

I believe there is a certain driver level, where if they reach a number of lifetime rides given and maintain a high rating, that they then are told the direction and length in time of a ride request
Gandler
Gandler
Thanks for this post from:
Minty
February 4th, 2020 at 5:45:15 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

I believe there is a certain driver level, where if they reach a number of lifetime rides given and maintain a high rating, that they then are told the direction and length in time of a ride request

That seems like information that all drivers should receive.

Uber and Lyft want to claim that drivers are independent contractors, but do not give information on the job before accepting (as far as I know), and force drivers to accept with an arbitrary acceptance rating.... This is going off topic, but the point is, contractors should be able to review the job before accepting....
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
February 4th, 2020 at 6:13:34 PM permalink

That seems like information that all drivers should receive.

Uber and Lyft want to claim that drivers are independent contractors, but do not give information on the job before accepting (as far as I know), and force drivers to accept with an arbitrary acceptance rating.... This is going off topic, but the point is, contractors should be able to review the job before accepting....

The problem with showing it is, drivers wonít accept short rides that donít earn them as much money. Taking a 5 minute ride where they have to drive 15 minutes to the original pickup spot is a waste, and they might miss out on a 5 minute pickup drive for a person going an hour away.

And also, drivers may avoid going to certain bad areas and decline ride requests going there
Gandler
Gandler
February 4th, 2020 at 6:27:45 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

The problem with showing it is, drivers wonít accept short rides that donít earn them as much money. Taking a 5 minute ride where they have to drive 15 minutes to the original pickup spot is a waste, and they might miss out on a 5 minute pickup drive for a person going an hour away.

And also, drivers may avoid going to certain bad areas and decline ride requests going there

Which should be their right if they are independent contractors.

"You are not an independent contractor if you perform services that can be controlled by an employer (what will be done and how it will be done). This applies even if you are given freedom of action. What matters is that the employer has the legal right to control the details of how the services are performed." -IRS

There is a reason Taxis focus on certain areas and avoid others (money and saftey). Uber and Lyft are trying to prevent geographic discrimination or whatever term they use, but it undermines their own defintion of being an indepent contractor which they constantly try to legally assert that their drivers are.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 159
February 5th, 2020 at 6:36:53 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I would guess on most days that is a scheduled stop before they depart.

You would be wrong. The Airbus models don't have extra fuel capacity many American planes have. On coast to coast flights, any deviation from the original plan may result in an extra fuel stop. I recall a stretch a few years ago where almost every JB flight from California needed to stop due to the winds. Ten/twenty a day was not unusual during peak winds.
BedWetterBetter
BedWetterBetter
February 8th, 2020 at 12:59:22 PM permalink

No, I, and others, were just pointing out that your story made no sense and you would have missed your flight regardless...

Not if he was professional and properly equipped while being on time. Doing the bare minimum to save pennies is foolish for his ultimate bottom line. If you tell someone you will pick up in a certain time frame and show up late with a near empty gas tank, it is unprofessional regardless of your excuses.

• Jump to: