boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 16
August 2nd, 2017 at 4:35:03 PM permalink
Quote: Sandybestdog

See that's the problem. Where did you hear that the 2011 was released prematurely and had problems? The 2011's were basically the same thing through 2015. Very minor changes. There were no major problems and no major recalls. They are still on the road today with 100 and 200k miles on them and there has been no significant loss in battery life (GM expects about a 20% loss after 100k miles). The 2017 is still the same basic car but with a better performing gas engine and enhanced battery and redesigned exterior.

When a Volt catches fire 3 weeks after being severely crash tested, then rolled over several times then placed out back by the NHTSA without following standard procedures, it creates national headlines, numerous investigations, and the CEO is dragged before Congress. Yet when 3 different Tesla's in real world driving merely run over road debris that actually directly puncture the battery casing, the government almost instantly clears them and it makes almost no headlines whatsoever.

BTW, the Volt is nothing like the Tesla 3. They operate differently. The Tesla 3 is more comparable to the recently released Bolt. When the Bolt came out I saw that it won car of the year. I thought to myself, of course it won green car of the year, it's a new model, the new ones always do. Then I reread the headline. Oh it wasn't green car of the year. It was just car of the year. It beat everything, yet the only thing people want to talk about is the Tesla. Again, they get a free pass on everything. Meanwhile all the other car company's actually have to make affordable and quality cars and after that, they actually have to sell them, not just take deposits.

Your analysis is biased of course. The Tesla S was the world's first marketable electric car that forced other model makers to jump on board, and their offerings including the Volt paled in comparison. With the 3 coming out, it essentially became a force for other companies to compete, and they will. Hopefully the Bolt as they gain a reputation will take some of those pre-orders away. Now, their service is sh*t and if you need parts, apparently, good luck -- weeks / months of wait time for generic parts, price gouging at their repair centers - not the way to provide customer service after a sale.

I think the turning point for electric cars are a few years away with a true infrastructure of fast charging stations where a 30 minute lunch stop would result in an 80% charge. And a 350+ mile range that will allow road trippers to do cross country trips without having to think about spending an evening charging. Families with a commuter vehicle and a 2nd long range vehicle might go for an EV.

I'm planning an EV purchase in 2020 or 2021. By that time there will be lots of competition, infrastructure, and longevity. All major car companies will offer a competitive product and like me checking out an Altima, a Mazda 6, a Sonata, a Camry, a Fusion, and an Accord, I hope that all majors will have several EV products to choose from. By 2020 I imagine all will have 2 or 3, by 2025, I imagine electrics being as mainstream options, especially in urban centers. But frankly I don't see gas going away unless it is legislated out of existence and there are far too many interests to do that.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 51
August 18th, 2017 at 1:40:44 AM permalink
I do think the Tesla is a suberb car. I think this ethanol/gasoline mix has to end, placing refined gasoline back on the market at least (like the white gasoline of the 60's/70's) This crapahol stuff is ruining small engines, and runs so hot it must be very inefficient (heat = wasted energy).

Besides anyone that designs a car with "Ludicrous Speed" can't be all bad...
just don't go plaid. ;oP

Recent epitaph: Found dead by a Pokemon Go Player
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 211
August 18th, 2017 at 2:18:01 AM permalink
Freezing existing technology is dangerous. He is investing a certain battery technology in a field that is changing overnight and I think flash charging alkaline batteries will eventually reign supreme in both cars and small planes.

Hyperlink is fine but boring has been booming, particularly micro boring in urban areas. Boring out in the middle of the Mojave desert is cheap and easy. Try it in urban areas with buildings and underground utilities, streams, etc.

• Jump to: