5 votes (33.33%)
10 votes (66.66%)
No votes (0%)

15 members have voted

odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 301
March 4th, 2015 at 3:10:19 AM permalink
If there is any idea that should die a natural death, it has to be that "we should be more like Europe"

To still be thinking that is to be mighty selective about the news you follow. The European economy seems to be in a constant state of crisis. It probably is the reason the world economy just can't seem to get going again.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 31
March 4th, 2015 at 3:28:17 AM permalink
There are several key types of homeless people.

1. Those by choice- sometimes they are well educated, maybe even have a bit of money in the bank, but they enjoy the adventure and free feeling of not working and the homeless lifestyle. Or they just "don't want to be in the grind".
2. Those with disabilities- usually those who are mentally or physically unable to work and don't have anyone to take care of them.
3. Drug Users- Those who are so drug dependent they can't function in the real world and just have to live homeless.
4. Hard Times- sometimes people just lose their job and can't pay their mortgage and get kicked out. They may be super hardworkers but are just homeless while they transition in life.

1, 2, 3 and the hardest to help. 2 requires a large investment and they usually need a lot of care and oversight. 1 just does not want help and wants to be left alone. 3 also needs a lot of help, but may not want it either.

4. Usually is not a huge deal, this category usually crashes at a shelter or friends houses for a few weeks while they plan out what to do. And, this type is usually willing to jump at any opportunity to work.

As for the other categories, there is no easy answer. Throwing money at them usually will not solve the issue as they are incapable of being responsible, after all remember very few homeless people (almost none) grow up homeless. Most come from homes, and they live in a way that they devolve into homelessness.

Charities that can teach people to live better lives and find work contacts are usually the best option. Homeless people need a lifestyle change, they don't need loads of welfare money thrown at them, the fact that most of them have already lost their wealth and homes shows that they cannot manage free flow of money.

One thing the government can do that could be less costly than straight welfare, is start a volunteer program, where homeless people volunteer to join a community service organization where they do various manual labor around the community while living in barracks style housing where they can be coached on work skills at the same time. This could provide a labor source for the government for little cost. And it could teach people to become more functioning members of the workforce. And they can also bring in mass employers to offer them career fairs and make contacts to lead to a real job.

But even that could pose problems. If somebody does not want help, it does not matter, you can spend all the money in the world, they will not change. That's why the best change on an individual level, is to have a close family member or friend convince them one on one to change. I know this is not possible for everyone, but in scenarios where it is, it is the most effective.

-As for the other parts of the question. 2 years is perfect for unemployment. You should be able to find a job if you spend two years constantly searching and contacting (which is what you are suppose to do while collecting).
And every homeless person would qualify for foodstamps as they have no income. You can be a multi-milliarare and qualify for foodstamps if you have no employment or income.
Dieter
Dieter
  • Threads: 7
March 4th, 2015 at 3:31:41 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Medicine is NOT a social good. Health care is a service same as any other service.

Yet I benefit from not being surrounded by sick people, and society overall is improved if people are healthy...

Sure, it's a service, but medicine should be an infrastructure type service, like roadways. We do all benefit, so we should all pay. (I have no particular objection to a modest copay, not unlike the road tax portion of fuel charges... but they should be modest charges, on the order of 1x 1hr minimum wage per clinic visit.)
May the cards fall in your favor.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
March 4th, 2015 at 4:54:16 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Yet I benefit from not being surrounded by sick people, and society overall is improved if people are healthy...

So what? Society would be improved by many things. That does not mean they are a good idea.

Quote:

Sure, it's a service, but medicine should be an infrastructure type service, like roadways. We do all benefit, so we should all pay. (I have no particular objection to a modest copay, not unlike the road tax portion of fuel charges... but they should be modest charges, on the order of 1x 1hr minimum wage per clinic visit.)

So why medicine and not food? I do not benefit because someone else can see a doctor. They do not benefit when I do. I want minimal coverage at minimal cost. Some want a predictable cost and will pay more to level the cost. Some want every little thing covered. Why should we not have that choice?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
March 4th, 2015 at 5:15:02 PM permalink
I prefer more unemployment/assistance but a very short amount of time you can be on it unless you are permanently disabled.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous

• Jump to: