FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
March 18th, 2014 at 5:17:21 AM permalink
Quote: Neutrino

Harrah's (and to some extend other Caesar's casinos) seems to have quite a bad reputation among people who talked about it. This is across many sites, many sources, and many different people's opinions.

Be careful. People may be talking about different things and different entities.

Some people say Harrah's and mean Harrah's. Some people say Harrah's and mean "oh, that darned corporate umbrella that keeps changing its names and shuffling properties around".

Some people say Harrah's and mean hotel rooms whereas some people say Harrah's and mean poker rooms and heck if you don't play poker what do care about poker rooms? If you don't play slots what do you care about how much they comp slot players, you probably care how much they comp craps players? Some people hate Harrah's because of what they've heard whereas others hate Harrah's because of what they have experienced.

For a while Hooters was the worst casino to work for, lousy attitude towards their dealers, lousy attitude towards their customers.... yet people still flocked there and some of them actually won and had a fairly nice time, so they recommended it.

Value depends upon your particular preferences, not on "reputation" because reputation is nowadays based on too many other factors.
SFB
SFB
Joined: Dec 20, 2010
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 203
March 18th, 2014 at 6:38:34 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Be careful. People may be talking about different things and different entities.

Some people say Harrah's and mean Harrah's. Some people say Harrah's and mean "oh, that darned corporate umbrella that keeps changing its names and shuffling properties around".

Some people say Harrah's and mean hotel rooms whereas some people say Harrah's and mean poker rooms and heck if you don't play poker what do care about poker rooms? If you don't play slots what do you care about how much they comp slot players, you probably care how much they comp craps players? Some people hate Harrah's because of what they've heard whereas others hate Harrah's because of what they have experienced.

For a while Hooters was the worst casino to work for, lousy attitude towards their dealers, lousy attitude towards their customers.... yet people still flocked there and some of them actually won and had a fairly nice time, so they recommended it.

Value depends upon your particular preferences, not on "reputation" because reputation is nowadays based on too many other factors.



Nuetrino:

Also understand that people who are happy, don't complain. People who are unhappy, for what ever reason, complain. And complain loudly about it. And when you are the biggest kid on the block, they complain about you the most.

Do a search on Wal-Mart or McDonalds. Same thing.

JMVHO

SFB
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
  • Threads: 311
  • Posts: 8608
March 18th, 2014 at 6:54:21 AM permalink
slots players are huge whiners
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4299
March 18th, 2014 at 10:16:39 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: Neutrino

I would like to now hear opinions from AP's since the issue of harrah's having bad odds (something that concerns me the most) hasn't been addressed yet.

I addressed it. You have to mention a specific game. Harrah's BJ 'tends' to have fewer games that an AP can play. VP has fewer high paytable games. Craps is never a player advantage game so the rules are irrelevant for an AP. Same with roulette. If you let the forum know what exactly you are actually looking for you would get better answers.....


They have a lot of 6-5 blackjack, which rightly puts off intelligent gamblers. Also SOOPOO they do have crappy craps rules on the Field, with the 2 and and 12 both only paying 2-to-1 (other than odds multiples, this is one of the few craps payouts that gets monkeyed with).

Compare this to the MGM chain, which has at least kept 6-5 out of its nicer properties. As far as I know, there is no 6-5 in Bellagio or Aria, but I don't actually know for sure. I know Luxor and Excalibur are full of it, but even there you can still find plenty of 3-2 games.

And, their reputation really took a further hit with me when they started charging resort fees, after taking such a hard line against them in the beginning.

But after all that, they do give a way a shload of free rooms. And that is the only reason I will keep going back there.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
geoff
geoff
Joined: Feb 19, 2014
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 368
March 18th, 2014 at 10:22:20 AM permalink
Their blackjack also tends to have a rule taken out or added in where you wouldn't expect at the $10 tables. Double only on 10/11, no double after split, no resplitting aces etc. Some of their games aren't bad (about .5) but a lot of their games are from 1-2.5 for the 6:5 BJ games.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
Joined: Aug 31, 2010
  • Threads: 88
  • Posts: 6526
March 18th, 2014 at 10:28:08 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

They have a lot of 6-5 blackjack, which rightly puts off intelligent gamblers. Also SOOPOO they do have crappy craps rules on the Field, with the 2 and and 12 both only paying 2-to-1 (other than odds multiples, this is one of the few craps payouts that gets monkeyed with).


But the field is a terrible bet anyway even at 3x/2x. -2.78% per roll is worse than any of the place, buy, or lay bets and is equivalent to the hardways. I rarely see field bettors; most people who buck odds that high are in the prop box.

I think craps is a good equalizer between properties. Even when the BJ rules are bad, you can't muck with the passline. I think the real distinction between big operators in LV regarding craps is how much they reinvest via comps. Do CZR properties comp pass/odds players better than MGM? If someone bets $100 passline with odds for an hour (and no other bets), their expected loss is roughly $50. How would that player be comped at CZR or MGM properties?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4299
March 18th, 2014 at 11:04:02 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

But the field is a terrible bet anyway even at 3x/2x. -2.78% per roll is worse than any of the place, buy, or lay bets and is equivalent to the hardways. I rarely see field bettors; most people who buck odds that high are in the prop box.


Really? I see tons of field bettors. I think usually people who don't really understand the game, but can understand the field because it's simple: it wins or loses in one roll, and the winning numbers are right there on the felt. I agree it's a sucker bet either way.

Also just realized I made a goof in my last post: Caesars Palace LV actually still pays 3-to-1 on the 12. But every other CET property in Vegas is 2x/2x. I couldn't say for the CET properties outside of Vegas.

Quote:

I think craps is a good equalizer between properties. Even when the BJ rules are bad, you can't muck with the passline. I think the real distinction between big operators in LV regarding craps is how much they reinvest via comps. Do CZR properties comp pass/odds players better than MGM? If someone bets $100 passline with odds for an hour (and no other bets), their expected loss is roughly $50. How would that player be comped at CZR or MGM properties?


I have heard that CET now includes odds bets in their player ratings. If they didn't adjust the comp rate downward, then that would be a win for players.

Speaking from experience, I will make an educated guess that that action at CET will get you squat in terms of actual points, but will get you tons of free rooms at the mid-roller properties. Might need a couple of hours though. While that action at MLife will get you squat, in totality (okay, so like $4 in Express Comps).

I don't bet $100 pass line, but I do sometimes bet $25 pass line with 3 come bets, which essentially the same.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 151
  • Posts: 19851
March 20th, 2014 at 4:14:08 AM permalink
Quote: Neutrino

I would like to now hear opinions from AP's since the issue of harrah's having bad odds (something that concerns me the most) hasn't been addressed yet.

Well behaved AP's are not going to run on here and tell you about how good it is or isn't.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
March 20th, 2014 at 6:22:46 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

For low level players who will need hotel rooms, Caesar's is extremely generous with room offers. The comps they give to table game players are quite low. The VP players bemoan bad paytables, and the BJ players bemoan bad rules. To me the free rooms outweigh the other issues, as I play pai gow poker, and pai gow tiles mostly. I can usually stay for free at the Rio, and will for 3 days during the WoV convention (get together) in April.

This is really a good situation for you and a great many others.

Most people look wistfully at Vegas and go to a local casino due to air fares and hotel room costs. Any comps for hotel rooms is a good thing for most gamblers. And Harrahs/Caesars/CET/EvilEmpire constantly look at gamblers and offer rooms and modest lures.

Yes, that Evil Empire seems to nick you like a mosquito biting at every opportunity but never really bleeding you dry. A craps field bet, a VP paytable, a this here and a that there... never enough to send you out in a huff but always relentlessly taking a few pennies here and there all day and night. And only the exceptionally knowledgeable and sober customers even notice the nicks anyway. Many players are happy to see those foot high signs about 6:5.

So from a business stand point it keeps them afloat to do things like that.
gpac1377
gpac1377
Joined: Apr 7, 2013
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 676
March 23rd, 2014 at 9:59:54 AM permalink
This is my post #666, so I figure it belongs in the Evil Empire thread.

Rollin' into the Quad next month ... Guy Fieri's Vegas Kitchen:



(EvenBob, finally you'll have a reason to visit the Strip.)

I can't mention Guy Fieri without linking to the famous review by Pete Wells. The New York Times restaurant critic was so ... startled by the dining experience that he composed his review entirely of questions:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dining/reviews/restaurant-review-guys-american-kitchen-bar-in-times-square.html
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."

  • Jump to: