Poll

3 votes (33.33%)
6 votes (66.66%)

9 members have voted

AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
March 17th, 2014 at 10:59:40 AM permalink
I made a couple non-monetary bets on the Super Bowl with Seahawks fans. One was that the loser of the bet would change his Facebook profile picture and cover photo to pictures of the winner's choosing for one week. The other was that loser had to wear a jersey of the winning team for one weekday. I had the Broncos on both bets (straight up, no spread involved).

Immediately after the game, I contacted each of these bettors, saying effectively "okay I lost, send me your pictures/detail on what day/jersey/etc." Neither of them have contact me since.

Now as a huge Broncos fan, obviously I would prefer not to do either of these things (that's the fun part of the bet). I feel like I have satisfied my obligation by notifying them that I am ready to comply, and the ball is in their court.

Am I responsible to do more? I think I'm good, just polling the forum.

There was no time limit specified in the terms, so they could both call them in at any time. I would, of course, comply.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
March 17th, 2014 at 11:05:05 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

I made a couple non-monetary bets on the Super Bowl with Seahawks fans. One was that the loser of the bet would change his Facebook profile picture and cover photo to pictures of the winner's choosing for one week. The other was that loser had to wear a jersey of the winning team for one weekday. I had the Broncos on both bets (straight up, no spread involved).

Immediately after the game, I contacted each of these bettors, saying effectively "okay I lost, send me your pictures/detail on what day/jersey/etc." Neither of them have contact me since.

Now as a huge Broncos fan, obviously I would prefer not to do either of these things (that's the fun part of the bet). I feel like I have satisfied my obligation by notifying them that I am ready to comply, and the ball is in their court.

Am I responsible to do more? I think I'm good, just polling the forum.

There was no time limit specified in the terms, so they could both call them in at any time. I would, of course, comply.

Easy.... Wear the jersey as you said you would. You are unable to comply with the other part until they contact you.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
March 17th, 2014 at 11:08:37 AM permalink
Aces! I just looked at the title of this thread...... Get ready for your first suspension my friend!
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
March 17th, 2014 at 12:33:37 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Easy.... Wear the jersey as you said you would. You are unable to comply with the other part until they contact you.

I don't own a Seahawks jersey so it's on him to provide one for me.

Quote: SOOPOO

Aces! I just looked at the title of this thread...... Get ready for your first suspension my friend!

I think the consensus among the forum was that Keyser did in fact welch on a bet with Mission, and in fact his name has been used in this context in the past. I don't feel bad about it nor do I believe I violated any forum rules. But that's not for me to determine, of course.
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
March 17th, 2014 at 1:49:07 PM permalink
AcesAndEights,

I think we should just buy you a puppy so that you can get the attention that you feel you need.

Grow up ;)

By the way, I don't feel as though I'm violating any of the forum rules if I call you an attention whore. However, I won't call you an attention whore, since I can't get away with as much as you can on the forum. ;)
LarryS
LarryS
March 17th, 2014 at 1:50:40 PM permalink

I think the consensus among the forum was that Keyser did in fact welch on a bet with Mission, and in fact his name has been used in this context in the past. I don't feel bad about it nor do I believe I violated any forum rules. But that's not for me to determine, of course.

Catherine Zeta Jones

First of all, I really liked you in Chicago. Secondly...please dont be too offended by AcesandEights.
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
March 17th, 2014 at 1:53:06 PM permalink
That's why I'm not calling him a lowly attention whore with a gambling problem. ;)
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
March 17th, 2014 at 1:56:16 PM permalink
I think you are good. If they don't want to collect, that's up to them.

I'd also like to point out (as I've pointed out before) that when AcesAndEights lost the safety bet to me he contacted me right away (before the game was over) to pay up, and paid me as soon as I gave him the required info. No delays at all.

I have no idea what happened between Keyser and Mission. Can someone send me a link to the thread?
LarryS
LarryS
March 17th, 2014 at 2:10:22 PM permalink

Anthony Hopkins

First of all let me say how great you were in The Silence of the Lambs, but let me say, please dont become infuriated over AcesandEights....he is unaware....i think

But if you ever meet him..its ok to kick him in the balls
LarryS
LarryS
March 17th, 2014 at 2:15:24 PM permalink

Tom Jones

Its not unusual......to be upset. But I saw you in vegas 68 years ago and you were great. If its any consolation.
LarryS
LarryS
March 17th, 2014 at 2:37:43 PM permalink

Terry Jones

Please forgive AcesandEights. He knows not what he does. I am told though he is a big fan of Monty Python and you were instrumentally involved in giving him his first taste of the BBC. And to this day he cant get enough of it.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
March 17th, 2014 at 2:45:07 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

I think you are good. If they don't want to collect, that's up to them.

I'd also like to point out (as I've pointed out before) that when AcesAndEights lost the safety bet to me he contacted me right away (before the game was over) to pay up, and paid me as soon as I gave him the required info. No delays at all.

I have no idea what happened between Keyser and Mission. Can someone send me a link to the thread?

Keyser suggested that Romney winning the last election was a shoe in. Some one asked them if they wanted to stake money, giving terms and amounts. Keyser responded in a way that read to may as 'yes, you are on'. Obama won, Keyser claimed it was not an acceptance of a bet at all. Many people called him out on it. EvenBob rode to his defence. Much debate was had, and the bet was accepted as never being on by both sides. Others have different opinions.

I now try to ensure that both sides have acknowledged bets in private and in public when made. I have not had any trouble with the two posters I have had friendly wagers with.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
March 17th, 2014 at 4:55:54 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

AcesAndEights,

I think we should just buy you a puppy so that you can get the attention that you feel you need.

Grow up ;)

By the way, I don't feel as though I'm violating any of the forum rules if I call you an attention whore. However, I won't call you an attention whore, since I can't get away with as much as you can on the forum. ;)

I don't think this thread was attention-whoring at all. I have a legitimate, gambling-related question, so I figured I would post it here since we have plenty of folks who have made similar prop bets in the course of their life.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
March 17th, 2014 at 5:46:41 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

I now try to ensure that both sides have acknowledged bets in private and in public when made. I have not had any trouble with the two posters I have had friendly wagers with.

That is probably a good idea. I have not had problems with my 2 bets either.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
March 17th, 2014 at 5:48:01 PM permalink
By the way, does anyone know what Larry is talking about? Is this a joke that has gone completely over my head?
LarryS
LarryS
March 17th, 2014 at 5:50:50 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

By the way, does anyone know what Larry is talking about? Is this a joke that has gone completely over my head?

look up the derivation of the word welsh/welch or even gyp
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
March 17th, 2014 at 6:06:46 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

look up the derivation of the word welsh/welch or even gyp

I'm aware of their original derivations. Now I understand what you are talking about.
  • Jump to: