AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
February 20th, 2014 at 3:57:15 PM permalink
Quote: endermike

Geoff, your answer is that of a smart aleck student who wants to slip in a small, obscure fact in to a lecture to make himself feel important. Larry's first post had events well outside of 5000:1. If you are simply trolling, go ahead. However as LarryS stated:

I think that the key point is that observing an event that is well outside 5000:1 is no big deal. Especially for people who gamble all the time. I once got a dealt royal flush, which is 650,000 to 1. So what? There are people (who play lots of video poker) who probably average several of these a year.

I think that the point of the shuffled deck is that every event that we see is unlikely, even if it's not notable. When I play a video poker hand and I get the 3s4d8h9cKs before the draw, that is an extremely unlikely event. The dealt royal is only special because it pays more (ie, it's more notable, but not more unlikely)
geoff
geoff
  • Threads: 3
February 20th, 2014 at 4:29:43 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

yes .other people are as socially backward as you..stop throwing them under the bus.

exclaiming that you are just like others who dont know better is not really a great argument.

you can claim that others pick their noses in public like you....but that doesnt mean its acceptable.

its not that I dont like your answer..its that your answer is immaterial. If you did find 2 sets of 52 cards that were shuffled into the same order...then that would be a great storey.

But what are the chances of another BJ table in the world having the exact same scratch on the wooden frame. The exact depth , length,....its incredible how idiotic we can get with nonsense like you bring up.

Thankfully the majority of the folk have the ability to understand the question and answer it without trying to say "look at me look at me..i am so so smart" If you are insecure and want to show off..make a thread "i am insecure and want to show off".

you can also say thatyou looked at the roulette board and saw the last 24 spins listed....and the chance of those exact same 24 numbers occuring in that orderwas a large number. You witnessed it....its and its an incrediblly large number .......so what...big deal.

You're correct I am insecure and want to show off.

I understand that you don't like what I added to the thread, but please don't insult me and the others who posted in here relating to what I posted. Somehow I have greatly offended you and I don't know why you are taking it personally, but you don't have to insult people in order to get your point across.
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
February 20th, 2014 at 4:34:18 PM permalink
Quote: geoff

You're correct I am insecure and want to show off.

I understand that you don't like what I added to the thread, but please don't insult me and the others who posted in here relating to what I posted. Somehow I have greatly offended you and I don't know why you are taking it personally, but you don't have to insult people in order to get your point across.

you are insecure and now want to play the victim

I wont bite.

too easy.

• Jump to: