djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
December 4th, 2013 at 10:37:43 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Such printers seem to only print in plastic right now... no steel, no copper, no rubber.

So how could one print a "real" object?

If a 3D printer could print a 3D printer, how many 3D printers that are printed from the original 3D printer can print more printers until the universe collapses on itself, like dividing by 0?
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 173
December 4th, 2013 at 10:46:09 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Such printers seem to only print in plastic right now... no steel, no copper, no rubber.

So how could one print a "real" object?

You can make plastic parts, including gears. Someone made this. I doubt the motors were printed though.

The Hall of Unverified Claims is a vast place with many shelves.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 5th, 2013 at 12:59:30 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

You can make plastic parts, including gears. Someone made this. I doubt the motors were printed though.

Its 1350.00. It comes pretty much fully assembled after having been 3D printed on OTHER printers, not the consumer's printer.
And for 1350, I will dance the Salsa.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 314
December 10th, 2013 at 3:02:41 AM permalink
Getting back to Amazon drones, if they ever get into service the controls would have to be significant.

Seems to me the only way it would work without Amazon personnel at the receiving end would be to have special safe reception sites. This could happen if a company or an organization received the package. Plus maybe some rich guy. Plus maybe people could drive to a reception center nearby.

If these reception centers never make it to ordinary citizens' homes, is the "no" bet a winner? [edited]
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
December 10th, 2013 at 3:19:10 AM permalink
Is Amazon affiliated with CBS in any way or is it just a coincidence that 60 Minutes ran a free commercial for them on the eve of Cyber Monday?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 10th, 2013 at 5:19:20 AM permalink
Sshhh. Feature not commercial. The difference is subtle, I know.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
December 10th, 2013 at 9:57:25 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

If these reception centers never make it to ordinary citizens' homes, is the "no" bet a winner? [edited]

The Wiz hasn't confirmed our bet, and no one else took me up on it. But I would judge that the "no" bet would be a winner, if the drones never made it to a normal home. You would probably have to pin a giant QR code on the front of your porch or something.

But if the drones can only deliver to specialized reception sites, and then you have to schlep it back to your house, then I definitely wouldn't have won the bet.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer

• Jump to: