Thread Rating:

ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
July 21st, 2013 at 2:15:27 PM permalink
Yeah as others have eluded to, Six Flags would be plain stupid to go to court. They've already done irreparable harm to their brand, now anyone who was too scared to ride some of their epic rides (as most have one or two roller coasters that scare the shit out of half the visitors) will have this story flashing in front of their eyes.

I wouldn't be surprised if they started discriminating by weight.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
July 21st, 2013 at 2:17:20 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
July 21st, 2013 at 2:24:17 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

There was an accident at Cedar Point the other day but I don't think there were any injuries.

They considered all 7 "injured", but only one of them was bad enough to go to the hospital.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 173
July 21st, 2013 at 3:15:11 PM permalink
Just from an engineering standpoint seems like the bar position could be determined, and maybe, you know big flashing stop lights at the bay exit when one fails to complete a minimum arc. But, maybe there really was some mechanical failure.

I recall coaster attendants either pushing the bars in place or walking by and pulling up on them to see if they're locked. (in my limited coaster experience)
The Hall of Unverified Claims is a vast place with many shelves.
VPKingNJ
VPKingNJ
  • Threads: 0
July 22nd, 2013 at 11:21:52 PM permalink
The problem with obesity in the US is quite a serious issue. 2/3 of the adult population is overweight and 1/3 get no exercise at all. In 1950 about 1/3 of the US population was overweight. It's quite a serious issue, and it's only getting worse.

I am a 60 + year old male, and unfortunately fall into the "overweight" category. I spend way too much time on the internet, watching sports on TV, and shoving my favorite foods down my throat. I hate salad, and I'm not a big fan of exercise, but I try to take a 2-3 mile walk, 3 times a week. I'm on cholesterol medication and hypertension medicine.

Unfortunately, my situation is NOT uncommon in the lazy mans 21st century. In fact, it's the norm in today's society. People are breaking their joints and bones, because of being overweight.

HOWEVER, in this instance it seems to me that the Park and/or their employees are negligent. The persons weight did not make the coaster malfunction, as these types of rides are designed for extreme riding conditions. The weight if the rider did not make the coaster "break". The person inspecting the safety of the passengers prior to the ride starting is the most likely culprit. This was an avoidable accident. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims family.

• Jump to: