4 votes (44.44%)
5 votes (55.55%)

9 members have voted

Boney526
Boney526
  • Threads: 8
April 22nd, 2013 at 7:18:25 PM permalink
Quote: whatme

I've seen that the bankroll should be 20x buy-in this puts my bankroll 1/3 of where it should be.

It's quite a bit more complicated than that, although 20x buy in is a good rule of thumb for cash games.

The problem is that since bankroll management deals with your expected edge and variance, you can only approximate it in poker. If you play in soft enough games, a 10 buy in roll could suffice, but I don't think too many games are that soft. (The only times I've seen games that soft were .25/.50 home games, although they presumably could exist at bigger games.) Other games you should never buy into, simply because the skill level of the other players is too high (better than yours or your skill cannot overcome rake.)

IMO, if you have games available that are pretty soft you've got a good chance of winning a decent amount of money playing.

You could try to find almost aggro games whereever you play and play simple TAG poker to lower your variance, while maintaining profitability until your bankroll is 20+ buy ins.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
April 22nd, 2013 at 8:14:09 PM permalink
An $800 bankroll for 3 weeks is pretty small. My head says to cancel the Vegas plans and save up so you can have a good time when you make it out there. But my heart says go to Las Vegas. Las Vegas is my favorite place in the whole world so I would never pass up the chance if I had an opportunity!
whatme
whatme
  • Threads: 8
April 22nd, 2013 at 10:02:33 PM permalink
$800 3wks I can have a good time.

Head V. Heart thats the problem.

• Jump to: