paisiello
paisiello
  • Threads: 21
February 24th, 2014 at 4:12:15 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

But trying to prove humans are affecting the planet more than natural cycles and the sun is a big assumption. To say we can intentionally do it is an even bigger one.

No assumptions, just evidence collected over the last 100 years by 1000's of professionals using the scientific method.

No, you are just repeating the mantra of "just dummy up and listen to the scientists."

No, I'm not. I have not ever told you to dummy up. I provided a reference to a peer reviewed paper that contradicted your claim and therefore demonstrates your claim to be false. You have not provided any evidence other than anecdotes from your memory of events it seems from over 30 years ago. No rational person would find your position to be credible (there's that damn word again!).

Sorry, I use my common sense before I buy, no matter how many scientists are trying to sell it.

Common sense = The collection of prejudices that people acquire by the age of 18.

Still, I invite believers to move to a small apartment and sell their cars. No vacations. No out of season food. Live 1800s style, with a few modern exceptions. Show me what you believe.

They never do.

To what purpose would that serve? Just to convince you (which it wouldn't)? Maybe we are all hypocrites but that doesn't change the facts of the issue. And nobody is asking you to live 1800's style, just lower your standard to something that is sustainable for the entire planet. Not a huge sacrifice considering what's potentially at stake.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
February 24th, 2014 at 4:19:41 PM permalink
Quote: endermike

Are you kidding me? We showed screen shots. Nothing was "doctored"

Yeah, keep acting like you don't know what I'm talking about. ;) Doctoring quotes is a very dishonest thing to do.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 228
February 24th, 2014 at 4:22:23 PM permalink
Quote: paisiello

No assumptions, just evidence collected over the last 100 years by 1000's of professionals using the scientific method.

Just like cooling and running out of oil.

Quote:

Common sense = The collection of prejudices that people acquire by the age of 18.

Actually quite the opposite. At 18 you tend to believe what they tell you, as you get older you become more of a skeptic. By now I was supposed to be freezing due to global cooling, have no oil to heat the place because we were going to run out, and be burying my heterosexual friends because of the hetero-AIDS epidemic. We would be starving because the world could never produce enough food for the billions of new bodies on the planet since the 1960s.

The USSR was going to bury us. Then Japan was supposed to bury us. Now China is going to bury us.

Quote:

To what purpose would that serve? Just to convince you (which it wouldn't)? Maybe we are all hypocrites but that doesn't change the facts of the issue. And nobody is asking you to live 1800's style, just lower your standard to something that is sustainable for the entire planet. Not a huge sacrifice considering what's potentially at stake.

Well it would show you believe in what you say and YOU are going to make changes, not ask everyone to do so. Leading by example we call it. Give it a try and report back, I am curious as to how it will turn out.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
February 24th, 2014 at 4:40:49 PM permalink
Leading by example only works when someone's mind might actually be changed.

Just like cooling and running out of oil.

On the first, you have been corrected several times. You are not wrong, but lying. But hey, let's go off and lead by example so the legions of mendacity can kill us all.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
paisiello
paisiello
  • Threads: 21
February 24th, 2014 at 4:50:56 PM permalink

Actually quite the opposite. At 18 you tend to believe what they tell you, as you get older you become more of a skeptic.

You would be hard pressed to find an 18 year old who believes what you tell them these days!

The world would never go far if we only relied on common sense. The sun appears to be going around the earth with the earth standing still and that is what was believed before Copernicus. It's common sense - I mean that's what it looks like and you can't tell the difference just by looking at the sun. But when you look at the motion of the planets the simplest explanation is that the earth and the planets all go around the sun. But unless you look at that piece of evidence collected by astronomers you couldn't tell.

Well it would show you believe in what you say and YOU are going to make changes, not ask everyone to do so. Leading by example we call it. Give it a try and report back, I am curious as to how it will turn out.

Are you suggesting I don't believe what I am saying and just trying to trick you in some sort of elaborate practical joke?

It is pointless unless everyone collectively agrees to it. Or at least the majority agree.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
February 24th, 2014 at 5:02:07 PM permalink
Game over. Too many people claiming other people are lying. Too many people near-trolling each other. Too much faux umbrage. Closing this thread until further notice. AKA Time Out.

You are invited to continue the topic discussion at Diversity Tomorrow, by the way.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.

• Jump to: