buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
May 20th, 2011 at 1:08:10 PM permalink
Where is Elizabeth ?
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
May 20th, 2011 at 1:10:58 PM permalink
Gee I hate the answer to my question. She died at age 42 in 2003 of a drug overdose, SIGH
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 20th, 2011 at 1:12:05 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Where is Elizabeth ?

She left us in 2003 (overdosed).

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
kp
kp
  • Threads: 7
May 20th, 2011 at 1:51:27 PM permalink
Quote: www.familyradio.com/facts/

This earthquake will be so powerful it will throw open all graves. The remains of the all the believers who have ever lived will be instantly transformed into glorified spiritual bodies to be forever with God.

Wait. So all these people who have died believing they will be going to heaven have to wait until the rapture occurs to go to heaven? So my grammy is not really in heaven, but still rotting in her grave and waiting on God to call her up?

Quote: Nareed

Back in the late 90s, I'd sometimes joke that even solving the Y2K bug would do nothing to prevent the Y3K bug

This is a true statement based upon some of the Y2K fixes that I've seen.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 20th, 2011 at 2:46:44 PM permalink
I looked it up. there's no need to worry about it. According to news reports the world will end on Saturday, May 21st. That's simply impossible. God would never end the world on the Sabbath, His Own Holy Day of Rest.

In other words, wait at least until God's next workday. He takes Saturdays off :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1317
May 20th, 2011 at 3:20:57 PM permalink
Quote: kp

Wait. So all these people who have died believing they will be going to heaven have to wait until the rapture occurs to go to heaven? So my grammy is not really in heaven, but still rotting in her grave and waiting on God to call her up?

I'm not the best one to answer that question, but that is my understanding of Christianity too. That there is some other place besides heaven and hell that is like a waiting room for the dead until Jesus' return. I'm not sure if bad people go there as well. During the three days between Jesus' death and resurrection I think he went there. So I think, according to the bible, grandma's soul is in the waiting room, and she is not in heaven playing a harp on a cloud yet. If I'm wrong, which is entirely possible, I welcome correction, as always.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
May 20th, 2011 at 9:22:15 PM permalink
Quote: kp

Quote: www.familyradio.com/facts/

This earthquake will be so powerful it will throw open all graves. The remains of the all the believers who have ever lived will be instantly transformed into glorified spiritual bodies to be forever with God.

This is a true statement based upon some of the Y2K fixes that I've seen.

Hmm. As best I understand Christian theology, the quote attributed to Family Radio is talking about the final judgment and not the rapture.

This whole thing with all the billboards and stuff is definitely catching more attention than your garden-variety doomsday movement does. While I'm no expert on Christian theology, I am certain that the bible is very clear in saying that no one knows the day or the hour. Not even Jesus (the whole trinity thing notwithstanding). So, if you believe the bible, then you have to assume that anyone who says they know the day and the hour is lying. There might be some wiggle room, maybe in the sense that ... hey, if someone says every day that the world is going to end, then one day they'll be right! But that would be the only wiggle room.

But while the bible is pretty clear that no one will know the day or the hour, I'm guessing that no one can keep it from happening when god says it's time for it to happen ... meaning, people can't keep "predicting" the day and the hour in order to stay god because he can't do it if someone predicts it because, hey, no one can know the day or the hour! Here, I think a distinction has to be drawn between actually KNOWING and just flapping your yap.

Anyway, my understanding of the rapture is that the word never appears in the bible, but is only a description theologians (and now pop culture) use to label an event Paul predicts will be a taking-up into the air or something. I think the reason for the focus on the rapture is that - if my Christian friends are correct - according to bible prophecy, nothing else has to happen before the rapture happens. It's "next."

Kind of. This is where it gets a little confusing to me, but as best I understand it, theologians debate on whether the rapture happens before, at the starting point of, during, or after the tribulation period. But at whatever point it happens, nothing else has to happen before to satisfy bible prophecy.

For example, the bible predicts that, before Jesus returns, the antichrist has to reign. Thus, Jesus's return is not "next." But the rapture is.
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
May 20th, 2011 at 9:40:16 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm not the best one to answer that question, but that is my understanding of Christianity too. That there is some other place besides heaven and hell that is like a waiting room for the dead until Jesus' return. I'm not sure if bad people go there as well. During the three days between Jesus' death and resurrection I think he went there. So I think, according to the bible, grandma's soul is in the waiting room, and she is not in heaven playing a harp on a cloud yet. If I'm wrong, which is entirely possible, I welcome correction, as always.

My understanding is different, but that doesn't mean I'm right.

As best I understand it, Christianity says that death is like sleeping. When you go to sleep, you're asleep and the next thing you know, you're waking up ... hours later. Similarly, you're dead, and the next thing you know, you're up ... days/years/centuries/millennia/whatever later. Where you "wake up," I'm not sure, but if I understand correctly, it's at the judgment where god sends people to heaven or hell ... although Christians would describe it as "entering into eternity with god as you chose to, or entering into eternity without god, as you chose to," but I'm not sure what that means (especially in light of the whole predestination/free will thing).

Anyway ... we all know that, while you're sleeping, your body and soul are in your bed (or wherever). I don't really understand what the Christian explanation is for when you're dead. Clearly, the body stays behind, we've all seen that for ourselves. The soul does something different than the body, but besides that divorce, where the soul "sleeps", or if the soul is even conscious during that "time" (if we can even think of it in temporal terms) is not something I think the bible talks about.

But I do know that the bible compares it to sleeping, and I also know that it says that Jesus said to one of the other guys at the crucifixion that TODAY he would be with Jesus in paradise. Again ... not an expert ... but I'm told that TODAY = literally TODAY ... kind of like a DAY in the Genesis creation story = a literal DAY.

So, either god does something goofy with time or it doesn't matter because we're (sort of) unconscious while we "sleep." I kind of lean to the interpretation that it doesn't matter. But both guesses could be wrong.

Anyway, as far as the body, the bible also says that our bodies will be raised, so that answers the question of re-marrying the body and the soul. Of course, people get cremated or eaten by a bear and shit out or vaporized in a nuclear explosion. I think the Christians believe that god is able to put the pieces back together again no matter what happened. This is, of course, difficult to imagine, but if the Christian god is who they say he is, then he's the one who could do that, so that never really hung me up that much.

My $0.02.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 22nd, 2011 at 6:31:49 AM permalink
It's all over, for the rapture, but the lawsuits.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1317
May 23rd, 2011 at 3:32:42 PM permalink
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if the church's web site would accept its piece of humble pie. No mention of the fact that we're all still here.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

• Jump to: