5 votes (12.82%)
1 vote (2.56%)

39 members have voted

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 1st, 2011 at 5:55:27 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

GLAD. I know you're not gay. It's a lame pun.

Didn't Isaac Asimov, who loved puns, pretty much say all puns are lame by definition? In any case, you should have written "GLADly," if only just to give me an even chance of spotting it ;)

BTW Here's Asimov's best pun:

Three brothers set up a cattle ranch and ask their father to name it.
He names it "Focus," explaining that's where the sun's rays meet.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 1st, 2011 at 7:47:54 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

As to "what made you decide to be straight" you don't have to decide, it is the natural process of life. Same as leaving a place-bet up after a win. You have to choose to takle it down, just like you choose to be gay.

My late grandmother, may she rest in peace, was born left-handed in the early 1900s. Back then, the conventional wisdom was that left-handedness was to be corrected. She was forced, against her nature, to write right-handed and was beaten with a ruler across the knuckles when she strayed into that which was most comfortable to her.

Today the conventional wisdom is that left-handed people are neither better nor worse than right-handed people, and there is no longer any call to "fix" them. It is now universally recognized that handedness is merely a trait of birth, and that one expression of this trait, right-handedness, is merely more prevalent than the other. It took society a long time to realize this for handedness, and it took even longer (indeed, it's still happening) for skin pigmentation. At some point in the future, society will have realized it for sexual preference too. Just, perhaps, not while the biases of men long dead still hold sway over the minds of the living.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
January 2nd, 2011 at 1:37:09 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

At some point in the future, society will have realized it for sexual preference too.

More than likely its a gene thing, when its proved everybody will say "I knew that." Our sexual predjudices run so deep that even if you research it even a little, its appalling. You can lay every bit of it at the door of male dominated organized religion.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 178
January 2nd, 2011 at 7:47:50 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Didn't Isaac Asimov, who loved puns, pretty much say all puns are lame by definition? In any case, you should have written "GLADly," if only just to give me an even chance of spotting it ;)

BTW Here's Asimov's best pun:

Three brothers set up a cattle ranch and ask their father to name it.
He names it "Focus," explaining that's where the sun's rays meet.

Oh, GROAN. It took me about 5 re-readings.
NO KILL I
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 165
January 2nd, 2011 at 2:13:03 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

My late grandmother, may she rest in peace, was born left-handed in the early 1900s. Back then, the conventional wisdom was that left-handedness was to be corrected. She was forced, against her nature, to write right-handed and was beaten with a ruler across the knuckles when she strayed into that which was most comfortable to her.

I had forgotten about this until now. But yeah, interesting comparison.

It's ironic, that in insisting people change sexual preference is likely the actual unnatural act.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?

• Jump to: