Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
Joined: Dec 8, 2013
  • Threads: 134
  • Posts: 2172
December 27th, 2013 at 1:20:52 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

It was on Main street and Bridger and was called Nevada Hotel and Casino. I believe Jackie Gaughn owned it in the 90's. It was a real dive and catered to a lot of the bus station and train station transients.



Thanks for the info. I could't find anything on the internet about the place.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 432
  • Posts: 25065
December 27th, 2013 at 1:28:31 PM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

It's still there!



The Union Plaza? I don't think so.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
EdCollins
EdCollins
Joined: Oct 21, 2011
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 1292
December 27th, 2013 at 2:23:50 PM permalink
I think it's been renovated a bit, and is now called the Plaza Hotel and Casino.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
Joined: Jul 13, 2013
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 2299
December 27th, 2013 at 3:02:11 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

It was on Main street and Bridger and was called Nevada Hotel and Casino. I believe Jackie Gaughn owned it in the 90's. It was a real dive and catered to a lot of the bus station and train station transients.



The address is 232 S. Main Street. I stayed in the Nevada Hotel quite a bit. It was a real dive but only cost $140 a week. This was in the nineties and early 2000's. A woman owned both the hotel and casino. She also owned the Queen of Hearts Hotel just off the casino district. It was also a dive. I can't recall her name but I spoke with her a few times. She had dollar blackjack and stuff like that.

Gaming kept jamming her up for not keeping enough bankroll on the premises. She was good friends with Jackie Gaughan and had good credit with him. When someone hit a big jackpot she would run across the street to the Plaza and cash a check. Gaming eventually revoked her gaming license for not keeping enough bankroll on the premises. That's why the casino closed down.

She kept the hotel for several years after that but eventually sold out to Jackie. At least that's the way I think it went. Once she was out there was always a Plaza security guard in the Nevada hotel lobby. The property went completely kaput after Jackie sold out his downtown holdings.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
Joined: Dec 8, 2013
  • Threads: 134
  • Posts: 2172
December 27th, 2013 at 3:43:45 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

The Union Plaza? I don't think so.



Of course, the Union Plaza is now known as the Plaza, but I think when Beachbumbabs was startled that it was gone, I think he thought the place had been torn down.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
Joined: Dec 8, 2013
  • Threads: 134
  • Posts: 2172
December 27th, 2013 at 6:44:51 PM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

The address is 232 S. Main Street. I stayed in the Nevada Hotel quite a bit. It was a real dive but only cost $140 a week. This was in the nineties and early 2000's. A woman owned both the hotel and casino. She also owned the Queen of Hearts Hotel just off the casino district. It was also a dive. I can't recall her name but I spoke with her a few times. She had dollar blackjack and stuff like that.

Gaming kept jamming her up for not keeping enough bankroll on the premises. She was good friends with Jackie Gaughan and had good credit with him. When someone hit a big jackpot she would run across the street to the Plaza and cash a check. Gaming eventually revoked her gaming license for not keeping enough bankroll on the premises. That's why the casino closed down.

She kept the hotel for several years after that but eventually sold out to Jackie. At least that's the way I think it went. Once she was out there was always a Plaza security guard in the Nevada hotel lobby. The property went completely kaput after Jackie sold out his downtown holdings.



Thanks, Mickey.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 432
  • Posts: 25065
December 27th, 2013 at 8:02:43 PM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

Of course, the Union Plaza is now known as the Plaza, but I think when Beachbumbabs was startled that it was gone,



She was joking, she knows it's the Plaza now.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

  • Jump to: