8 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
Thanked by
petroglyph
November 17th, 2018 at 4:28:45 PM permalink
I just saw Cher at the Park MGM last night. This was my first time in this venue. It seats 5,200 seats, which is pretty big, I'd estimate about the same as the concert arena at the Mandalay Bay, maybe a tad smaller. The entrance is inside the Park, which, if you haven't heard of it, is the renamed and re-branded Monte Carlo. I believe the actual entrance is where the Lance Burton theater used to be. Despite a full house, the line at security was only about five minutes and escalators quickly brought the crowds to wherever their seats were. I had seats in the upper-most of three sections, which were at a nice incline so everybody at least had a clear view of the stage and not the head of the person in front of you. This also seemed to prevent the audience from standing up, which I can't stand at any concert. Everybody has a much better view if you just sit down.

Let me preface the rest by saying that I have never owned a piece of Cher music. However, I've always rather liked Cher's self-confident and expressive personality. Once I was at Caesars Palace when a Cher concert just came out and the audience seemed to be very upbeat after having seen a great show. Since then it has always been on my mental list to see her. When our own Axel offered tickets to any MGM/Mirage show at a significant discount and I had friends in town to entertain, it was the perfect opportunity to go.

The show started about half an hour late but the audience was kept entertained with disco hits. The show finally started with an elaborate two-floor set with lots of lights and dancers. Her opening two or three songs I had heard before but couldn't name them. Then Cher stopped and spoke spontaneously for about ten minutes about various significant moments in her career, generally the bad ones. One story I especially remember is the first time she did the David Letterman show and told Dave she put it off for a long time because she thought he was "kind of an ass hole." I always like it when musicians engage with the audience or tell stories as opposed to just playing their music in exactly the same way as on their records (I guess I'm dating myself with that comparison).

The rest of the show went through several outfit and set changes. There were numerous themes, like Egyptian, Indian (as in with a dot -- not a feather), Disco, and the famous black afro. I think my favorite part was here three-song set of ABBA, which were Waterloo, SOS, and Fernando. I'm a huge ABBA fan and Cher totally did justice to their music, perhaps even improving upon it a bit, which is hard to do.

At another point in the show Cher revealed her age as 72. I've seen aging musicians before, but it is hard to call Cher aging as her energy and voice are that of people 1/3 her age. However, she was absent from the stage perhaps half the time. The audience was kept well entertained with clips from her very long music and acting career. Anyone, like me, who goes knowing only bits and pieces form Cher's career will leave with a much better knowledge and appreciation of it. There were also some instrumentals and what not, I suppose to give Cher a chance to recharge and get ready for the next set.

Meanwhile, her band, lighting, stage, dancers, choreography, and all the jazz seemed about as good as it gets. The entire show is very entertaining and the audience seemed to really enjoy it. I got the impression from outfits people wore they had seen Cher numerous times before. Suffice it to say I have Cher an enthusiastic thumbs up! If you ever get the opportunity to catch her, I would seize it.

The question for the poll is if you've seen Cher, what did you think of her show?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
November 17th, 2018 at 4:39:13 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

The question for the poll is if you've seen Cher, what did you think of her show?

The only time I have seen her was on the "Sonny and Cher" show. Maybe I will add this to my list. Thanks for the review.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
November 17th, 2018 at 4:39:50 PM permalink
How was the view from the upper section?

I’m seeing Lady Gaga there in January and will be in the upper section (tickets were expensive) and was a little worried about how the view will be.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
November 17th, 2018 at 4:54:28 PM permalink
Thanks for the review!
SiegfriedRoy
SiegfriedRoy
  • Threads: 20
November 17th, 2018 at 5:08:24 PM permalink

It seats 5,200 seats, which is pretty big

Hey Wizard, did the venue feel intimate? In other words, for future concerts, are cheaper seats still a good value?

Let me preface the rest by saying that I have never owned a piece of Cher music

I personally felt like that with the Celin Dion concert. I've never really been a fan, but it was hands down one of the best shows I've seen in Vegas.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 17th, 2018 at 5:19:38 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

How was the view from the upper section?

It was pretty good. I was third row upper section, which wasn't too bad. I think it was probably a better seat than one in the back of the middle section.

Quote:

I’m seeing Lady Gaga there in January and will be in the upper section (tickets were expensive) and was a little worried about how the view will be.

There was a lot of advertising for that yesterday. I'm slowly becoming a Lady Gaga fan. I hate to follow the heard with anything, but Lady Gaga is a huge talent and I find that I can't poo-poo her as a Madonna imitation any longer.

If anyone in your group drops out, I'd be very interested in buying his/her ticket at full value.

Quote: SiegfriedRoy

Hey Wizard, did the venue feel intimate? In other words, for future concerts, are cheaper seats still a good value?

A 5,200 seat concert venue is never going to feel "intimate." However, as I wrote in the review, it seemed well organized and modern. I can't fault the venue in any way.

Quote:

I personally felt like that with the Celin Dion concert. I've never really been a fan, but it was hands down one of the best shows I've seen in Vegas.

I enjoyed Cher more than Celin. Nothing against Celin, but she just isn't my cup of tea as much as Cher. I think in terms of the glamour and big production you expect of a Vegas show, Cher will not disappoint.
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
November 17th, 2018 at 5:35:50 PM permalink
I saw her at the sold out 10,000 seat Mohegan Sun arena several years ago. It was an excellent show then, and it sounds like it is still top notch entertainment. The set and costume changes were amazing. She can put on a great show, and she gives it her all.
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 66
November 17th, 2018 at 6:02:51 PM permalink
My local radio station plays,"Believe," by Cher and I muse about what a record breaking single it was. It was lauded for being a number one single on Billboard Top 10 from a woman in her FIFTIES! FIFTIES! 52 to be exact. People young enough to be her CHILDREN were jamming in the club to this! I seriously think only Madonna has come close or maybe closer than that. Madonna was like 57 and had a hit song called," I'm Madonna (Not going to put the possibly suspension worthy full title of the song, ;)and collaborated with the very popular young pop/rap star Nicki Minaj(Nicki and Madonna are roughly 24 years apart, making them old enough to be mother and daughter) which made this really noteworthy.
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 28th, 2018 at 11:00:30 AM permalink
I think it is easy to say that Cher has withstood the test of time better than Madonna. I still find it hard to believe that Cher is 72. My father had trouble getting out of a chair at that age.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 28th, 2018 at 11:18:07 AM permalink

I think it is easy to say that Cher has withstood the test of time better than Madonna. I still find it hard to believe that Cher is 72. My father had trouble getting out of a chair at that age.

Cher was born 72 years ago. Most of her body is much newer.

I was never a big fan but liked some of her music so when offered comps to her "Farewell Tour" in AC around 1998, I jumped on it.

Great, hi-energy show. Surprisingly, she did a three or four song Bee Gees medley mid show. I have to think she has slowed down a bit in the ensuing twenty years.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
November 28th, 2018 at 1:39:36 PM permalink

I still find it hard to believe that Cher is 72.

Cher was born in 1946, just over five months after I was. In her most recent film role, she played the mother of the character played by Meryl Streep, who was born in 1949, just 3 years and 1 month after Cher.

What does that say about how the film industry portrays an actress's age? Are they trying to say that Cher's character had a baby at age 3 or that Meryl Streep looks a lot younger than does Cher?
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
November 28th, 2018 at 2:27:33 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Cher was born in 1946, just over five months after I was. In her most recent film role, she played the mother of the character played by Meryl Streep, who was born in 1949, just 3 years and 1 month after Cher.

What does that say about how the film industry portrays an actress's age? Are they trying to say that Cher's character had a baby at age 3 or that Meryl Streep looks a lot younger than does Cher?

It's not just women... happens to men, too. I found this list online; I'm sure there's a million other examples.

Mean Girls -- Amy Poehler, who played the mother of Rachel McAdams' character, is only 7 years older.

Six Feet Under -- Peter Krause is only 12 years younger than Francis Conroy, who played his mother.

North by Northwest -- Jessie Royce Landis, who played Cary Grant's mother, was actually 10 months younger than Grant in real life.

The Graduate -- Katherine Russell was only 9 years younger than Anne Bancroft, who played her mother (and Dustin Hoffman was only six years younger than his girlfriend's mother).

Alexander -- Colin Farrell is only one year younger than Angelina Jolie, who played his mother in the movie.

The Manchurian Candidate -- Angela Lansbury was only two years older than Laurence Harvery who played her son.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade -- Sean Connery is only 12 years older than Harrison Ford.

The Passion of Christ -- In The Passion of the Christ, Maia Morgenstern -- who played Mary -- is only six years older than Jim Caviezel, who played Jesus.

Star Trek -- Winona Ryder, who played Spock's mother, is only five years older than Zachary Quinto.

Boyz n the Hood -- Laurence Fishburne, who plays the father of Cuba Gooding Jrs.' character, is only 7 years older.

American Pie -- Stifler's Mom, Jennifer Coolidge, is only 13 years older than Stifler, Seann William Scott.

Blow -- Rachel Griffiths, who played the mother of Johnny Depp's character, is actually five years younger than Depp.

Cosby Show -- Sabrina Le Beauf, who played the eldest daughter, Sondra, is only ten years younger than Phylicia Rashad.

Lost -- Swoozie Kurtz played John Locke's mother on "Lost," even though she's only six years older than Terry O'Quinn.

Supernatural -- Jeffrey Dean Morgan is only 12 years older than Jensen Ackles, who plays his son.

X-Files -- Rebecca Toolan played Mulder's mom, even though she's only one year older than David Duchovny.

Fighter -- Mark Wahlberg is only 11 years younger than the woman who played his mother, Melissa Leo.

Watchmen -- Malin Akerman is only 7 years younger than the woman who played her mother, Carla Gugino.

Lord of the Rings -- Sean Bean is only 11 years younger than John Noble, who played his father, Denethor.

Peggy Sue Got Married -- In Peggy Sue Got Married, Nic Cage played the father of Helen Hunt's character. Hunt is actually two months older than Cage.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 28th, 2018 at 2:31:13 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I was never a big fan but liked some of her music so when offered comps to her "Farewell Tour" in AC around 1998, I jumped on it.

When I saw her, she made a joke about her multiple "farewell" tours.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 28th, 2018 at 2:34:05 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

I mentioned this before, but on Golden Girls, Dorthy's mother was played by a younger actress. I thought Cher actually looked younger than Meryl Streep in Momma Mia 2. It was a silly movie not to be taken too seriously, so it didn't bother me at all. I think the makers really wanted Cher and that was the only role she fit into.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 28th, 2018 at 2:58:02 PM permalink
Vivian Vance( Ethel) and Lucy are just about the same age, but the producers wanted her to play the character much older.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
  • Jump to: