22 votes (64.7%)
5 votes (14.7%)

34 members have voted

FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 13th, 2019 at 5:39:11 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

. . . because I'm overwhelmed by the thoughts about how to best organize things . . "

So, give up trying to get the best organizing scheme and just go for one that works reasonably well,
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
April 13th, 2019 at 6:06:16 AM permalink
Quote: Tanko

I you really want to quit, why not try Chantix, as jmills did, so successfully?

I don't take anything but Motrin that messes with my brain. There are a lot of side effects, I'm afraid of the hidden cost this little genie makes you pay.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
April 13th, 2019 at 6:07:58 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

So, give up trying to get the best organizing scheme and just go for one that works reasonably well,

I know. Mountain is really a mole hill. I pick up a little here and there. Wish I had a house keeper and a butler and a handy man, I really need them.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
April 13th, 2019 at 6:12:54 AM permalink
So I'm sorry, I don't really want to quit smoking but I'm doing it any way. I don't know what it is, I look back at events, I remember smoking in them, and it just wants me to smoke in the future. Wish I could have it both ways, I'll try this one. It's just that nervousness, I don't know what it is, I feel at ease when I smoke, guess that's why it's called oral fixations.
I am a robot.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 217
April 13th, 2019 at 7:02:08 AM permalink

I know. Mountain is really a mole hill. I pick up a little here and there. Wish I had a house keeper and a butler and a handy man, I really need them.

Get yourself three ugly baseball hats. Label them M, B, and H. Make a list of weekly task and divide them by four. Now divide each of those list by whether they should be done by your house keeper, your butler or your handyman. Pretty easy, even the laziest can do this. Now take the rest of the day off. You've earned it.
Tomorrow, put on the hat marked M and do the daily chore for the housekeeper. Don't take off the hat until you are done. Rinse and repeat with hats B and H. When you are.done, admire your work, take in how easy it was and take the next day off. You earned it.
Incentives work. Reward yourself for the little accomplishments, and the big ones will fall into place. You won't always need ridiculous props like hats and lists to do things, but they can be very helpful in establishing patterns. Reward yourself for a job well done. I don't like house work so the best reward I know of is a day without it. Thus, a day off for doing it.
I don't eat until my dog is walked , I've taken my pills and my bed is made. Four very important things that I've incorporated into a simple procedure. I like to eat, but I can't until those three things are done. Maybe I will add a fourth- no computer until yesterday's dishes are done and put away.
Some people have natural discipline. I don't. It's a struggle and a work in progress.
What works for me may not work for you, but something will work. You just have to try until you find it. Maybe doing half the work each day, but doing some everyday works for you. Maybe Pizza is your motivation. Maybe it's a movie.
I'm amazed how many people use the carrot or stick method on their kids or employees but never think to use it on themselves. They beat themselves up for their failures but never reward their own small victories.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
April 13th, 2019 at 7:15:21 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Get yourself three ugly baseball hats. Label them M, B, and H. Make a list of weekly task and divide them by four. Now divide each of those list by whether they should be done by your house keeper, your butler or your handyman. Pretty easy, even the laziest can do this. Now take the rest of the day off. You've earned it.
Tomorrow, put on the hat marked M and do the daily chore for the housekeeper. Don't take off the hat until you are done. Rinse and repeat with hats B and H. When you are.done, admire your work, take in how easy it was and take the next day off. You earned it.
Incentives work. Reward yourself for the little accomplishments, and the big ones will fall into place. You won't always need ridiculous props like hats and lists to do things, but they can be very helpful in establishing patterns. Reward yourself for a job well done. I don't like house work so the best reward I know of is a day without it. Thus, a day off for doing it.
I don't eat until my dog is walked , I've taken my pills and my bed is made. Four very important things that I've incorporated into a simple procedure. I like to eat, but I can't until those three things are done. Maybe I will add a fourth- no computer until yesterday's dishes are done and put away.
Some people have natural discipline. I don't. It's a struggle and a work in progress.
What works for me may not work for you, but something will work. You just have to try until you find it. Maybe doing half the work each day, but doing some everyday works for you. Maybe Pizza is your motivation. Maybe it's a movie.
I'm amazed how many people use the carrot or stick method on their kids or employees but never think to use it on themselves. They beat themselves up for their failures but never reward their own small victories.

That's too much fuss.
I am a robot.
billryan
billryan
April 13th, 2019 at 7:28:02 AM permalink
Then simplify it. Take a.baby step forward or sit back and suffer. It's your choice.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 125
April 13th, 2019 at 7:28:10 AM permalink

I don't take anything but Motrin that messes with my brain. There are a lot of side effects, I'm afraid of the hidden cost this little genie makes you pay.

Nicotine messes with your brain too (obviously)
billryan
billryan
April 13th, 2019 at 7:31:34 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

Nicotine messes with your brain too (obviously)

It is ironic that he worries about potential problems for his brain but not the various proven poisons he is ingesting.
jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 8
April 13th, 2019 at 7:37:38 AM permalink

The black box warning about suicide was removed after studies showed there really was not higher risk with Chantix. The only side effect I had was some extremely vivid dreams, which were pretty enjoyable.

• Jump to: