Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1246
September 23rd, 2010 at 9:20:51 AM permalink
Quote: thlf

http://www.thewizofodds.com/

Check this site out. I know it's not the same but I think too close for comfort. I was going to ask you about this when I met with you Wiz but I forgot.

I'm okay with that. He is at least using "wiz" as opposed to "wizard," and with his emphasis on college football, I don't think many would confuse the two of us. As I've said before, I wasn't the first to think of "wizard of odds," so I can't be too picky. I draw that line at people trying to assume my identity.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 23rd, 2010 at 12:56:16 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I agree. I admit I'm not the first person to think of the moniker, but I'm pretty sure I was the first one to use it in the context as a gambling writer. Oh well, what can you do?

Actually, "Wizard of Odds" is such an obvious pun, I would expect that it's been used a couple of thousand times. For example, I recall a column with that title in the precursor of that Gaming Today rag, almost twenty years ago.

It's sort of like "Dew Drop Inn" or "Eggceptional Omelettes". The pun is so cliched that it's become a trope, and the courts won't protect trade markers like that any more.

Do you have a legitimate beef against this AC guy? Probably, but nothing you could enforce.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw

• Jump to: