DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 79
March 17th, 2020 at 7:23:48 AM permalink
Quote: rawtuff

That's almost like saying there is 50/50 chance you'll be struck by lightning the moment you exit your house, you either will or you won't or what does it matter if you decide to take a bath with your toaster positioned on the edge of the bathtub, we're all going to die eventually so what the big deal is.

Exactly. Unless you have a belief that you will never die the outcome is the same.
Order from chaos
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
March 17th, 2020 at 8:10:31 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Exactly. Unless you have a belief that you will never die the outcome is the same.

No it isn't. I can accomplish a lot more in 30 years than I can in one day. It 100% matters when I die.
DRich
DRich
March 17th, 2020 at 10:31:29 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

No it isn't. I can accomplish a lot more in 30 years than I can in one day. It 100% matters when I die.

The point is we are all insignificant. There is a 99.9999% chance that what you accomplish will be irrelevant to the future of mankind. I understand you want to live longer to "help" those that are important to you, but what does it matter? You are just prolonging the inevitable. Your family, your kids, your grandkids are all going to die.

Until one can define what the purpose of mankind is, it doesn't matter, Why propogate the misery to future generations.

I would not be upset at all if mankind ended this generation. At least we could brag about being the last generation.
Order from chaos
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
March 17th, 2020 at 10:43:18 AM permalink

The point is we are all insignificant. There is a 99.9999% chance that what you accomplish will be irrelevant to the future of mankind.

That's not the metric I use to make decisions, so it is irrelevant to my day to day life.

Quote:

I understand you want to live longer to "help" those that are important to you, but what does it matter?

Because I enjoy living.

Quote:

You are just prolonging the inevitable. Your family, your kids, your grandkids are all going to die.

Agreed. What is the argument you're trying to make here?

Quote:

Until one can define what the purpose of mankind is, it doesn't matter, Why propogate the misery to future generations.

Who says mankind has to have a purpose? Even if we say it does, ending with this generation will not help us define it, so you're kind of arguing against your own point here. Using your logic, we should be trying to extend our lives as much as possible, and humanity by extension, so we can figure out what our purpose is.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
March 17th, 2020 at 11:09:04 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Who says mankind has to have a purpose?

If there is a purpose, tell me what
it is beyond procreation. Life has
no purpose outside itself, that's
the point. It's we who give life
purpose, none is built in. There
is no destiny, there is no 'meant
to be'.. (trying to keep this in
the guidelines of no religXXX
talk.)
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 29
March 17th, 2020 at 2:24:33 PM permalink
There is a best selling book that answers all these questions.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
DRich
DRich
March 17th, 2020 at 2:35:52 PM permalink
Quote: DeMango

There is a best selling book that answers all these questions.

I only read non-fiction.
Order from chaos
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 29
March 17th, 2020 at 4:56:07 PM permalink

I only read non-fiction.

Then you should read it.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.

• Jump to: