15 members have voted

Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 35
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
January 15th, 2020 at 10:45:41 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I was surprised Ken left himself open to be caught by not betting anything on the second Final Jeopardy. Do you think he did it:
A) To extend the game,
B) He thought he would miss it.
C) He thought James would miss it.

I can't remember the exact scores, but I thought it was a case where: If James doubled up, Ken could not beat him, even if he were to double up as well.
But if James got it wrong, Ken would win if he wagered nothing. Basically, he could not improve his chances of winning by wagering anything.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 19
January 15th, 2020 at 11:05:18 AM permalink

I was surprised Ken left himself open to be caught by not betting anything on the second Final Jeopardy. Do you think he did it:
A) To extend the game.

D) None of the above. :)

Ken knew if James bet properly, which he most certainly would do, and if James was correct, he couldn't catch James. So he bet zero. This way if James missed that final question, he would win, whether he answered correctly or not.

I'm sure he didn't expect James would miss it, so your option of C is not correct.

The only way Ken could win would be if James missed it, and Ken was most certainly hoping for that outcome, but I doubt as if he expected it. But betting zero was fine in that situation.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 34
January 15th, 2020 at 11:39:26 AM permalink
Here is a link to game #4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBVhE5Ws7q4 which was from "January 14th 2020" but has the picture/sound problem.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
Ayecarumba
January 15th, 2020 at 12:04:03 PM permalink
The bet was made in another thread, but I would like to note that I had Brad, Ayecarumba had James, and Ken was a push. So that bet has been retired afaic.

Suggest any other forum bets on this event be acknowledged /settled here, since this thread is current and on-point. I think there were one or two others.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
beachbumbabs
January 15th, 2020 at 12:13:38 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

The bet was made in another thread, but I would like to note that I had Brad, Ayecarumba had James, and Ken was a push. So that bet has been retired afaic.

Suggest any other forum bets on this event be acknowledged /settled here, since this thread is current and on-point. I think there were one or two others.

Push acknowledged. It was a fun run. Thank you for the wager.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 34
January 15th, 2020 at 12:16:51 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

...ABC is looking at other Jeopardy! show formatd to broadcast prime time....

I like the double game idea. In the UK some quiz shows have four quarters (or similar idea), where each round loses a contestant(s). So perhaps four in the first half, so those trailing still have something to go for; and three go forward into the second half. On Friday the four winners of the week play for a big prize. End of season could bring back all the weekly winners. The only downside is you lose the winners who just stay on, but Friday should be a good show.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 15th, 2020 at 12:17:58 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

A) To extend the game.

Ken knew if James bet properly, which he most certainly would do, and if James was correct, he couldn't catch James. So he bet zero. This way if James missed that final question, he would win, whether he answered correctly or not.

I'm sure he didn't expect James would miss it, so your option of C is not correct.

The only way Ken could win would be if James missed it, and Ken was most certainly hoping for that outcome, but I doubt as if he expected it. But betting zero was fine in that situation.

I don't think this is accurate. Combined with the total from his dominating first match win, Ken could have wagered enough in the second final jeopardy to put his combined total out of reach, even if James bet everything and had a correct response.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 14
January 15th, 2020 at 12:24:26 PM permalink

A) To extend the game.

I don't think this is accurate. Combined with the total from his dominating first match win, Ken could have wagered enough in the second final jeopardy to put his combined total out of reach, even if James bet everything and had a correct response.

No. James had enough that he would win if he bet nearly all. No matter what Ken did.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
January 15th, 2020 at 12:28:07 PM permalink

A) To extend the game.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but the J! pros I hang with say that was, in fact, the situation. If James got it right and bet it all, Ken's wager would not be enough, even if he bet it all, too. James had over 32k banked, and his 44k or whatever doubled was more than Ken's bank +2x his game 2 total.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 35
beachbumbabsAyecarumbatringlomane
January 15th, 2020 at 12:31:28 PM permalink
Game Recap

After the first half, Ken had 65,600; James had 34,181.

Going into the 2nd Final, Ken had 23,000; James had 44,000. So, doubling these values and adding to the Round 1 totals, you would get the max possible for Ken of 111,600. James' max possible would have been 122,181.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"

• Jump to: