Thread Rating:

kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 190
June 3rd, 2020 at 4:08:50 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

Based on the other "industries" that were blocked consider it a gift.

Well, I have only gotten 4 weeks so far. But I expect the rest is coming.

You hate that I got unemployment don't you Alan? lol. And I don't mean me specifically. I don't think you hate me, but from discussions elsewhere, you have never been real fond of AP's in general let alone someone making a living via AP, so it irks you that someone LIKE me is getting unemployment doesn't it? be honest.

Now how is it that YOU are getting unemployment? I suppose you don't want to talk about that? lol. I guess you are self employed but how is it that your business is effected?
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 15
June 3rd, 2020 at 5:28:32 PM permalink
Quote: speedycrap

For unemployment insurance. An unemployed NASA engineer does not have to look for work at Burger King as a dish washer. If that NASA engineer refused work as an engineer at SpaceX, then the UI will stop.
I have the impression that the posters here are pretty well off. So government hand out in this dire and dim situation is seen as some kind of waste. Remember, the reason for the government act is to calm everybody down.

In the same way someone who were in a high wage line of work donít have to look for work at Burger King to get unemployment, the Burger King worker can apply for NASA engineer jobs they know theyíre unqualified for for the length theyíre eligible for unemployment. Personally I generally think people should be required to do a minimum of 10-15 hrs a week of volunteer work in order to collect unemployment or welfare. Workfare.

Perhaps an exception for a national emergency, but otherwise I also think maximum unemployment regardless of previous salary should be somewhere around the wages of a minimum wage full time worker in the state providing it, if people canít imagine paying their bills for a short period of of time on that should be a wake up call to do one of the following: either save more of an emergency fund, live a more sustainable lifestyle rather, or help provide more insight into the plight of less fortunate individuals.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 232
June 3rd, 2020 at 6:00:44 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

In the same way someone who were in a high wage line of work donít have to look for work at Burger King to get unemployment, the Burger King worker can apply for NASA engineer jobs they know theyíre unqualified for for the length theyíre eligible for unemployment. Personally I generally think people should be required to do a minimum of 10-15 hrs a week of volunteer work in order to collect unemployment or welfare. Workfare.

Perhaps an exception for a national emergency, but otherwise I also think maximum unemployment regardless of previous salary should be somewhere around the wages of a minimum wage full time worker in the state providing it, if people canít imagine paying their bills for a short period of of time on that should be a wake up call to do one of the following: either save more of an emergency fund, live a more sustainable lifestyle rather, or help provide more insight into the plight of less fortunate individuals.

But unemployment is a percentage of a person's paycheck correct?

Would it not be unfair for a higher wage earners to pay a higher percentage of their check only to receive minimum wage when unemployed?
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 92
June 3rd, 2020 at 6:10:13 PM permalink
Quote: Venthus

Did sex workers anywhere in the country that it was legal get to collect PUA? (Or UI, if they're on payroll. Which... sounds weird.)

In other news, I came across a rather amusing article talking about how a lot of places were sold out of Sexy Nurse costumes because they were using it as an excuse to test of they had a fever... and kick them out if they were.

The law specifically blocked sex workers.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 92
Thanks for this post from:
AxelWolf
June 3rd, 2020 at 6:13:32 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Would it not be unfair for a higher wage earners to pay a higher percentage of their check only to receive minimum wage when unemployed?

Don't confuse regular unemployment insurance with the COVID-19 plan. The $600 figure was just a number picked out of thin air to provide spending.

$600 a week was a fortune in Alabama and it only paid for a parking spot in San Francisco.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 232
June 3rd, 2020 at 6:36:43 PM permalink

Don't confuse regular unemployment insurance with the COVID-19 plan. The $600 figure was just a number picked out of thin air to provide spending.

$600 a week was a fortune in Alabama and it only paid for a parking spot in San Francisco.

I understand

I was reacting to McAllister saying how he felt in general about people collecting unemployment.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 15
June 3rd, 2020 at 6:44:51 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Perhaps but I think under the scenario Iím suggesting much less unemployment taxes/insurance would be collected beforehand in the first place.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
June 3rd, 2020 at 6:55:57 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

I love both of your ideas. The 15 hours a week of volunteer work should not be too onerous to interfere with your job interviews, and other attempts to regain gainful employment.

I also strongly agree with a very low pay for being unemployed. There should NEVER be an advantage to being unemployed over being employed. I think unemployment pay should just be a true stopgap, paying for only the bare necessities. NY State does limit it to $504 a week, which I think is a reasonable number. It is around what a full time min wage worker makes in NY State.

As far as ams chiding Trump on signing it, he had input into it, but it is an equal part Pelosi, McConnell, and Trump. None of the 3 were willing to take the strong but unpopular position that it was just too much of a foolish giveaway; that it was put together with very little thought. I am disappointed in all 3 of them.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
Thanks for this post from:
darkozJoemanunJon
June 3rd, 2020 at 10:32:33 PM permalink

Quote: Venthus

Did sex workers anywhere in the country that it was legal get to collect PUA? (Or UI, if they're on payroll. Which... sounds weird.)

In other news, I came across a rather amusing article talking about how a lot of places were sold out of Sexy Nurse costumes because they were using it as an excuse to test of they had a fever... and kick them out if they were.

The law specifically blocked sex workers.

They always get screwed.

• Jump to: