gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 3027
June 2nd, 2017 at 4:02:21 PM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

Because an XBox you can buy at Target will not meet the specifications required of an electronic device used in gaming in any jurisdiction.


The machine is not determining the outcome, unlike other electronic gaming devices. Do casinos have to abide by different rules than competitive game leagues with six figure prizes?
Paradigm
Paradigm
Joined: Feb 24, 2011
  • Threads: 42
  • Posts: 2224
June 2nd, 2017 at 4:04:49 PM permalink
Quote: 777

You can play solo in a skill based game, and don't need opponent(s).


Wasn't this Ahigh's company concept? Single player pinball & Pacman...big problem is resolutions per hour and the amount of "game play" that is really possible in 30 seconds or less...or the fact that you have to play each game for $25-$50 min bet per game to make up for the 3 minutes of time takes to get one resolution.
Paradigm
Paradigm
Joined: Feb 24, 2011
  • Threads: 42
  • Posts: 2224
June 2nd, 2017 at 4:05:26 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

The machine is not determining the outcome, unlike other electronic gaming devices. Do casinos have to abide by different rules than competitive game leagues with six figure prizes?


Yes
djatc
djatc
Joined: Jan 15, 2013
  • Threads: 83
  • Posts: 4477
June 2nd, 2017 at 5:11:41 PM permalink
Quote: Romes

If they want to make money off "video game players" they need to just make video game gambling a section and offer to host the matches and take a rake like poker.

I.E. Some guy shoots his mouth off that he's really good at halo (everyone does this). I perk up and talk a little smack to get him to agree to play me at X property. We go there, both put $100 on the line with a teller/employee in the gaming area, then when I inevitably beat him, I get $195 back (my $100 + $95 of his and $5 to the house). Skilled gaming at its finest.

The only problem with this is: After a year or two no one would be willing to book action if you offered it because all the idiots that suck would get fleeced by real pros and learn the hard way not to actually make a bet.

As MLG has shown for a multitude of games... The only way to keep people coming back and getting big prize pools is to have a league or tons of tournaments. They could do a monthly tournament with a guaranteed prize pool... but again, that would attract all of the sharks. In the end, you can't have a "fair" game that the newbs have a chance at, because they're newbs and they will (and should) lose to a player of higher skill.



1v1 me noob snipers quickscopes only
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 140
  • Posts: 18007
June 2nd, 2017 at 10:52:50 PM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

Wasn't this Ahigh's company concept? Single player pinball & Pacman...big problem is resolutions per hour and the amount of "game play" that is really possible in 30 seconds or less...or the fact that you have to play each game for $25-$50 min bet per game to make up for the 3 minutes of time takes to get one resolution.




It's kinda hard to have a skill based game that plays a fast as a slot or regular VP game.

If one were to use the idea I have, it solves that problem. I think they are doing all wrong.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
MaxPen
MaxPen
Joined: Feb 4, 2015
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 3634
June 2nd, 2017 at 11:07:05 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

It's kinda hard to have a skill based game that plays a fast as a slot or regular VP game.

If one were to use the idea I have, it solves that problem. I think they are doing all wrong.



Would you just focus on getting your VP idea in the works. Best damn idea I ever heard for something new. One problem at a time. 😄
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 140
  • Posts: 18007
June 2nd, 2017 at 11:31:59 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Would you just focus on getting your VP idea in the works. Best damn idea I ever heard for something new. One problem at a time. 😄

It seems that the people who are qualified and motivated at doing this stuff think their ideas are really good and yours probably isn't. If you know someone who wants a good idea to work with let me know.

I had my shot with IGT years ago, I heard an NDA wouldn't protect me, so I got scared off and never presented it.

From what I have been told, almost everything is done in house and it's almost imposable nowadays for anyone to get in with them.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14214
June 3rd, 2017 at 1:39:28 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

It seems that the people who are qualified and motivated at doing this stuff think their ideas are really good and yours probably isn't. If you know someone who wants a good idea to work with let me know.

I had my shot with IGT years ago, I heard an NDA wouldn't protect me, so I got scared off and never presented it.

From what I have been told, almost everything is done in house and it's almost imposable nowadays for anyone to get in with them.



I've heard that, too. However, Dan Lubin recommended US Coin as someone who would look at a slot and respect your IP. You might try them.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
doughtaker
doughtaker
Joined: Oct 26, 2015
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 36
June 3rd, 2017 at 3:47:07 AM permalink
Public vs. private viewing should be a non-issue, otherwise game developers and their legal teams would have been working overtime the last few years to sue the pants off of Twitch, other streaming sites, and all of those sites' users. Developers' past attempts to quash public viewing of video games have largely failed due to backlash and negative publicity. Even Nintendo, who is out of touch with their fans more often than they're willing to admit, got the message after their brouhaha with EVO a few years back. And if we ever get around to legalized e-sports betting in the sportsbooks, the developers won't be able to do squat about that.

On another note, the casinos, via their convention/arena facilities, have already played host to many big video game tournaments over the years. It seems to me that they're just fine with making the easy money renting out the space, charging for tickets to watch grand finals in person, etc. They could definitely get into the small tournament space (and I believe Downtown Grand has already attempted to), but I don't see them trying to run their own MLG, EVO, Dreamhack, or other similar big event.

I also think that we're giving the general public too much credit here. They'll probably be able to figure out that their RTP against a pro gamer heads-up is going to approach 0%, and correctly stop. That still leaves machines, and I think the main issue is finding the right kind of machine. Right now the casinos are mostly going for luck-skill hybrid machines, but I would hope that they would turn to pure skill machines sooner rather than later...

Consider a modern-day arcade with redemption games. Even after excluding those who are too young to gamble, there are still folks of all ages more than willing to habitually go to an arcade and "get pwn3d" by ticket games of pure skill whose RTPs are supposed to be 40% or lower. There is money for the casinos to make, if they were able and willing to put in similar games even at the regulatory-mandated minimum of 75%. Many of these pure skill games in the arcade also allow for single or multiplayer gaming. Translating that to the casino environment, there could be a game with a skill-based prize always in play, and then in a multiplayer game, a competitive prize going to the 1st-place finisher that is independent of and in addition to the skill-based prize.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 71
  • Posts: 5910
June 3rd, 2017 at 7:54:08 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

It seems that the people who are qualified and motivated at doing this stuff think their ideas are really good and yours probably isn't. If you know someone who wants a good idea to work with let me know.

I had my shot with IGT years ago, I heard an NDA wouldn't protect me, so I got scared off and never presented it.

From what I have been told, almost everything is done in house and it's almost imposable nowadays for anyone to get in with them.



Some gaming companies will not sign NDA's with game developers. Your only protection is to get the patent filed before showing the idea. Most gaming companies that I know of will still look at 3rd party game concepts. In general they will not be interested unless they can charge the casino a recurring fee for it. I partnered with IGT many years ago on some daily fee games but sadly they were flops.

When Ernie Moody came up with Triple Play IGT wasn't interested in buying it so he had to pay IGT to build it for him. I would say it worked out okay for him in the end.
Living longer does not always infer +EV

  • Jump to: