elvis
elvis
  • Threads: 3
July 21st, 2014 at 4:38:01 AM permalink
It was Rockford Files, Cannon, Kolchak-the Night Stalker, the show with Dennis Weaver as a marshall, and some other rotating hour long show every thursday in the early to mid seventies. What was the other show and the name of Dennis Weaver's?
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
July 21st, 2014 at 7:00:31 AM permalink
Quote: elvis

It was Rockford Files, Cannon, Kolchak-the Night Stalker, the show with Dennis Weaver as a marshall, and some other rotating hour long show every thursday in the early to mid seventies. What was the other show and the name of Dennis Weaver's?

The Dennis Weaver show was McCloud. However if I recall it rotated with McMillan and Wife and some other show. Rockford was not part of that rotation. (Google was not consulted so I could be wrong)
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." - Isaac Newton
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
July 21st, 2014 at 10:07:10 AM permalink
I have heard of The Rockford Files. Never saw it but heard of it. But these others, Cannon, Kolchak, McCloud, McMillion and wife??? Never even heard of them. Rotating shows on a Thursday night seems a strange concept. Was that a bi-product of having two TV channels at the time? I don't know how you people survived. lol I need my 800 channels. (and usually still can't find anything worth watching).

I only know James Garner from two movies, The space cowboy movie with Tommy Lee Jones and Clint Eastwood and one of my alltime favorite movies with sally Field, Murphy's Romance. (I am sure it was a bust at box office). I think I'll look up his career, maybe there is something I am forgetting. Seems like I know him from more than just those two movies. At any rate, RIP, James Garner.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 79
July 21st, 2014 at 10:17:42 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

I only know James Gardner from two movies, The space cowboy movie with Tommy Lee Jones and Clint Eastwood and one of my alltime favorite movies with sally Field, Murphy's Romance. (I am sure it was a bust at box office). I think I'll look up his career, maybe there is something I am forgetting. Seems like I know him from more than just those two movies. At any rate, RIP, James Gardner.

I really liked Maverick with James Garner, Mel Gibson, and Jodie Foster.
Order from chaos
randomperson
randomperson
  • Threads: 3
July 21st, 2014 at 12:02:15 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

You're not to be the first to be confused by that page. It is on my project list to rewrite that page, using variance and covariance terminology instead of the variance on the deal and draw. For now, I don't have time to explain it here.

I would recommend replacing most of this page with two types of charts.

The first chart would tell me what happens to variance if I fix the denomination and I add hands one at a time. This could be effectively communicated in a graph as well.

The second chart would tell me, if I fix the total amount bet on all hands but change the denom, then what happens to variance. The limiting cases of what happens when the number of hands approaches infinity and one in this setup can be very instructive for people trying to learn about variance.

And of course when I say variance above, I recognize that SD is the relevant number to actually put in any tables.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
July 21st, 2014 at 4:57:06 PM permalink
Quote: JamesGarnerOK

It is a standard theorem in probability that the unconditional variance in total revenue is the straight sum of these two parts. That is,
Var(X) = E[ Var(X|H) ] + Var[ E(X|H) ].

By splitting up the total variance like this, one can get a feel for how much volatility is coming from differences in EVs among the initial hands dealt, and how much volatility is coming from getting lucky on draw.

Oh, thanks, that makes sense.

• Jump to: