Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 175
November 23rd, 2020 at 6:57:00 AM permalink
I've heard the term "pretzel logic" before but never actually saw an example of it.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 27
November 23rd, 2020 at 7:56:13 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I've heard the term "pretzel logic" before but never actually saw an example of it.

What an insult!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
Joeman
Joeman 
  • Threads: 34
November 23rd, 2020 at 8:03:25 AM permalink
Quote: DeMango

What an insult!

To pretzels or to logic?
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 45
November 23rd, 2020 at 8:22:31 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Those would have garnered a suspension as well.

I personally follow the Uri Geller standard that one must say something they know to be false to be a liar. For example, if I truly believe the moon is made of green cheese and say as such, then I would be entitled to feel insulted if somebody called me a "liar." Same with "delusional" and "mentally disturbed." All one could do is state my claim about the moon is false and preferably state why.

No matter how ridiculous the claim, I must give the benefit of the doubt to the one making it that they believe it.

FWIW. My opinion differs slightly from Wizard. I think that's allowed, since we are talking about personal interpretations.

If someone says something which I believe to not be true, I would deem it inappropriate to call him a liar.

I would not, however deem it inappropriate to say
"I believe you are mistaken"
"I believe you are wrong"
or even
"you are mistaken"
or
"you are wrong" (which obviously would only be my belief, not an accusation)

Until today, I would not have suspended Sabre based on that test, because I didn't perceive him as calling anyone a liar... unless I was directed to by Wizard or another moderator to suspend him.

However, Wizard has now set the precedent and I will moderate based on that precedent going forward.
This is Wizard's forum: His rules.

It's my opinion that certain members here are posting in such a way as to encourage suspensions. Certain members then go complaining openly or by PM.
In some parts, that is pretty much a definition of trolling.

Just my 2 cents.
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
Marcusclark66
Marcusclark66
  • Threads: 2
November 23rd, 2020 at 10:33:33 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Those would have garnered a suspension as well.

I personally follow the Uri Geller standard that one must say something they know to be false to be a liar. For example, if I truly believe the moon is made of green cheese and say as such, then I would be entitled to feel insulted if somebody called me a "liar." Same with "delusional" and "mentally disturbed." All one could do is state my claim about the moon is false and preferably state why.

No matter how ridiculous the claim, I must give the benefit of the doubt to the one making it that they believe it.

You are 100 percent with the application of interpretation with common sense applied, in so many words.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 16
November 24th, 2020 at 8:50:50 AM permalink
Updates coming. All is well! (Very well.)
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1343
November 24th, 2020 at 9:11:47 AM permalink
Quote: Marcusclark66

Axel guy seems to run his mouth with all sorts of claims all the time LOL.

Personal insult. Per the Martingale, one month.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

• Jump to: