Thread Rating:

PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 22
September 17th, 2017 at 2:11:58 AM permalink
Thanks for the kind words. I just do what google maps says to, not sure about the alternate route. You should make it to Dawson it's beautiful.

I'm amazed at the lack of responses to the human toe shot lol. Maybe people have lost interest in the thread. We are in Penticton and tomorrow we drive to Vancouver. I will update from the last few days tomorrow.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
September 17th, 2017 at 4:46:06 AM permalink
I know Penticton had some really nasty fires and some anti American sentiment a few decades ago, don't know anything else about it.

Don't know much about Canada at all except that with global warming they are having trouble keeping the meeting place of the Canadian Parliament, The National Igloo, from melting. Watch out for moose in Vancouver: they munch on parking meters and even though helicoptered to Prince Edward Island, the moose all return to Vancouver in a few days.
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 18
September 17th, 2017 at 6:03:15 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I know Penticton had some really nasty fires and some anti American sentiment a few decades ago, don't know anything else about it.

Don't know much about Canada at all except that with global warming they are having trouble keeping the meeting place of the Canadian Parliament, The National Igloo, from melting. Watch out for moose in Vancouver: they munch on parking meters and even though helicoptered to Prince Edward Island, the moose all return to Vancouver in a few days.

It is actually hard to find igloos in northern Canada any more. They are used sometimes in winter hunting trips for shelter during the winter but that is about it.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
AB21
AB21
  • Threads: 3
September 17th, 2017 at 7:12:03 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

Thanks for the kind words. I just do what google maps says to, not sure about the alternate route. You should make it to Dawson it's beautiful.

I'm amazed at the lack of responses to the human toe shot lol. Maybe people have lost interest in the thread. We are in Penticton and tomorrow we drive to Vancouver. I will update from the last few days tomorrow.

I'm surprised google maps doesn't select hwy 37 as that route is about 150 kms shorter.

Yes, the legend of the sour toe cocktail!

The legend of the first “sourtoe” dates back to the 1920’s and features a feisty rum-runner named Louie Linken and his brother Otto. During one of their cross-border deliveries, they ran into an awful blizzard. In an effort to help direct his dog team, Louie stepped off the sled and into some icy overflow—soaking his foot thoroughly.

Fearing that the police were on their trail, they continued on their journey. Unfortunately, the prolonged exposure to the cold caused Louie’s big toe to be frozen solid. To prevent gangrene, the faithful Otto performed the amputation using a woodcutting axe (and some overproof rum for anesthesia). To commemorate this moment, the brothers preserved the toe in a jar of alcohol.

Years later, while cleaning out an abandoned cabin, the toe was discovered by Captain Dick Stevenson. After conferring with friends, the Sourtoe Cocktail Club was established and the rules developed. Since its inception, the club has acquired (by donation) over 10 toes.

The original toe was accidentally swallowed in 1980 by a miner named Garry Younger, as the story goes. And in 2013, Joshua Clark swallowed the toe on purpose, slapped the $500 toe-swallowing fine on the bar and left. (The fine was immediately hiked to $2,500 in response.)

Just this past June there was big news in Dawson when the toe was stolen, but the guy wasn't very smart and left his certificate behind so he would have been tracked down eventually. He must have had some regrets as he later mailed the toe back to them.

The ritual is pretty disgusting as the toe must touch your lips to qualify. My wife didn't have the stomach for it but I will do it for sure.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
September 17th, 2017 at 5:00:23 PM permalink
That toe thing is disGUSting, PG! There's a reaction for you.

I've not been able to log in or you would have had an opinion from me a while back. I suspect a lot of other people are having similar issues.

My only uncle was stationed in Whitehorse for about a decade. And my grandfather was a surveyor above the Arctic Circle for about 20 years. So it's been especially interesting for you to tell your travel in such detail. Thanks for taking the time. I wish the cards had been a bit kinder to you, but sounds like Eric was a good investment!
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
September 18th, 2017 at 1:39:57 AM permalink
I totally agree Babs but I had to do it while I was there. The grossest part is the toe gets stuck at the bottom of the glass and you have to shake it down and it went in my mouth a little bit. That caused me to spill some tequila on myself. I'll post the video when I get home, you can see the moment the toe went in my mouth a bit.

Cards will do what they do but I had so much fun on the trip. Eric is always a good buy!

I'm headed to Seattle tomorrow, I'm getting behind on my daily report but I will attempt to catch up tomorrow.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 300
September 18th, 2017 at 5:07:26 AM permalink
I was going to comment on the sourtoe cocktail but didn't want everybody to snicker thinking I was dumb enough to think it was a real human toe - plus somehow I was thinking it was a new toe each time, duh

So, you were totally convinced it was the real thing?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
September 18th, 2017 at 8:41:09 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I was going to comment on the sourtoe cocktail but didn't want everybody to snicker thinking I was dumb enough to think it was a real human toe - plus somehow I was thinking it was a new toe each time, duh

So, you were totally convinced it was the real thing?

It is 100% a real human toe. Trust me there is no doubt in my mind lol.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 27
September 18th, 2017 at 8:51:02 AM permalink
Sounds like Eric is running pretty good... Try to get 20% of his action lol =). I'm sure you each had action on one another, so I'm glad at least one of you guys did well (not taking anything against you, tournaments are like mine fields, it happens).

The toe thing is pretty gross, but I probably would have begrudgingly done it like you. Props for doing it! Did it still look/feel like a human toe at all, or since it was dried out with preservatives was it all fake like essentially?

Hopefully the poker turns around for you... I wanna see the POKER: at a PLUS number =). Sounds like you're having a fantastic trip though. Thanks for sharing!
Last edited by: Romes on Sep 18, 2017
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 71
September 18th, 2017 at 9:10:47 AM permalink
How many different toes do they have? Is there a penalty if you swallow the toe?
Living longer does not always infer +EV

• Jump to: