SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 115
October 18th, 2016 at 9:54:21 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I don't know how Chicago/Milwaukee corridor can be tolerable as a regular commute, either. Just awful the couple times I did it.

My poor brother-in-law for a few years lived in north suburb of Chicago (Glenview I think) and worked in Gary, Indiana!!! His hours varied, but if he got out evening rush hour he said sometimes it would take 3 hours to get home! His life changed for the better when he got a job 'only' 45 minutes from where he lives.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
October 18th, 2016 at 12:11:04 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

It's still significantly better than Atlanta though.

I commuted to work in Atlanta for more than 25 years, ~26 miles each way. I never got on the interstate roads while commuting -- way too much hassle in my opinion.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 28
October 18th, 2016 at 12:24:18 PM permalink
Great report! Fun to read and sounds like you kept rather busy on your trip =P.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 23
October 21st, 2016 at 8:37:06 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

All the bad press aside, I still enjoy a Chicken bowl about once a month from Chipotle. I would guess PG is a burrito buyer?

As a mild NYY fan I am not saddened by BOS getting bounced in the playoffs. They just did not have the pitching to make a deep run and relied heavily on their offense. I really do not like the Blue Jays, but they honestly had the best combo of pitching and hitting in the AL East. Those ticket prices for the CLE home playoff games sounded very reasonable. Tickets in BOS obviously would have been much more. BOS fans seem to travel well due to better ticket prices around the country (think Tampa Bay/Miami).

Thanks for the trip report.

Nope I am a chicken bowl guy, I had a burrito once but it fell apart because it was overstuffed. I don't understand why everyone hates Chipotle so much. I love it and have never had a bad meal there.

Nostrone we stayed at the Country Inn and Suites nowhere near the stadium cause we had a shuttle that took us to the game.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. Amarillo Slim Preston
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
October 22nd, 2016 at 4:27:41 AM permalink
I don't think anyone hates Chipotle. They had a supply chain problem earlier this year/late last year where a few thousand people got sickened from their fresh ingredients - might have been a couple deaths along the way. So people have been avoiding them pending them figuring out the problems and getting clean ingredients again.

Maybe Canadian media didn't report all that when it happened. Was mostly in the Boston area.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
October 22nd, 2016 at 1:28:21 PM permalink
Poker G, if you feel like it, are there any things about Cleveland's ballpark & immediate surroundings you noticed that you think might be useful to be clued in on if someone who has never been there was planning to go? Sections that you'd particularly favor or avoid, like any parts that you think might be better or worse than someone would guess just from looking at a seating chart, tips or tricks for getting in and out more smoothly one way than another, or other significant unique things about it that someone wouldn't know by generalizing from experiences at other ballparks in the majors?

"No" is just fine and will be appreciated if that happens to be the right answer from your recollection.

Sorry 'bout the untimely demise of your Sox.*

*A shameless lie, told by a notorious liar fondling an Indians future wager ticket.
"I'm against stuff like crack and math" --AxelWolf
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
October 22nd, 2016 at 1:54:48 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I hate chicago. I was once hauling a car at 4 am. It was crazy traffic like rush hour already. I was going 70 and getting past like I wasn't moving. Oh and wtf, there were exits to the right, to the left, and in the freaking middle lane. Who the hell has exits in lane 3 of a 5 lane highway.

LA has a few of those. Apparently dreamed up as an informal population control measure. See: "East LA Interchange." Otherwise known as the cosmic implosion of the Golden State, Santa Ana, Pomona, and Santa Monica freeways twisting and swooping and corkscrewing and double backflipping upon one another all at once, causing a warp in the space-time continuum that tilts one side of the universe.

Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
October 22nd, 2016 at 10:04:54 PM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

Nope I am a chicken bowl guy, I had a burrito once but it fell apart because it was overstuffed. I don't understand why everyone hates Chipotle so much. I love it and have never had a bad meal there.-snip-

Good point about the burritos, they do fall apart easily requiring a fork/spoon/fingers to finish.

Quote: DrawingDead

Poker G, if you feel like it, are there any things about Cleveland's ballpark & immediate surroundings you noticed that you think might be useful to be clued in on if someone who has never been there was planning to go? Sections that you'd particularly favor or avoid, like any parts that you think might be better or worse than someone would guess just from looking at a seating chart, tips or tricks for getting in and out more smoothly one way than another, or other significant unique things about it that someone wouldn't know by generalizing from experiences at other ballparks in the majors?

"No" is just fine and will be appreciated if that happens to be the right answer from your recollection.

*A shameless lie, told by a notorious liar fondling an Indians future wager ticket.

The first 5-10 rows behind the home/visitor dugouts are usually pretty solid for viewing a ballgame. Ha!

Go Cleveland!
Cavs won the NBA Championship, Indians could win MLB, then the Browns...
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
October 22nd, 2016 at 11:49:06 PM permalink
Well, nevermind. At least nevermind anytime from now to next summer. Looks like Chicago has pretty much purchased Cleveland within the last two hours.
Quote: Keeneone

...<SNIP>...

The first 5-10 rows behind the home/visitor dugouts are usually pretty solid for viewing a ballgame. Ha!

...<SNIP>...

Well I hope so, for somebody's sake. There are no tickets available directly now. But there are some on the semi-official reseller site StubHub. They start at $975 + fees for standing room only tickets, though I see asking prices are moving and some have now decided to hold out for over $2,000 for their ticket with no seating. Looks like parking passes are going for about $160 and climbing. But in spite of most of Chicago apparently just now deciding to move in to their new suburb in Ohio, it is still possible to sit down, via StubHub, here and there. In those rows behind the dugouts if you act fast at this moment that'll run ya about $7,000-$8,000. While some other seats can be pried loose from someone for $18,500. Each.

I think I'm gonna have an appointment with a television on those days.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 23
October 23rd, 2016 at 7:03:52 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

Hey sorry I just saw this. We always sit right behind home plate off to either side because my dad is blind in his right eye. So we always buy premium seats. I'm not really sure about all the other stuff as I have have only seen 3 games over two different trips to Cleveland. Gl on your Indians bet I will be rooting for them against the Cubbies.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. Amarillo Slim Preston

• Jump to: